anyone have any experience with Peninsula Imports Ducati? | GTAMotorcycle.com

anyone have any experience with Peninsula Imports Ducati?

optionfa

Hey guys.. Im back riding this season and thinking of swapping my R6 for a hypermotard 821.

I have been trying to find a non current model 821 hyper SP and these guys in Oakville have a used 2013 with 11,000km on it for 12gs..

The thing is the sales people there are very odd.. no eye contact and seemingly very little bike knowledge. I took the sp out for a quick test ride and when I came back in the guy had the sales slip all filled out and when I told him there's no way im buying it right there and then without putting some thought into it he was strangely offended LOL.. That being said, the tech who took me for test ride was a super cool straight forward guy, they should really have him in there selling the bikes.

I am a bit weary of buying a used ducati in the first place, and the feeling I got from that shop makes me just want to go to GP bikes and buy the 2014 non SP model... anyone have any good or bad experiences with these guys they can share?

also, what kind of room to move is there on used and late year stock?

havn't bought a bike from a dealer before any advice would be great.

Bought my R6 from dealer and am currently pondering going to a Hyper as well. Want the SP, but the cost.... thinking of going non-current Non SP but brand new, as well... There are some Hyperstrada's around, too... could always dump some cash into the suspension and make your own SP, and own hard bags too.

Bought my R6 from dealer and am currently pondering going to a Hyper as well. Want the SP, but the cost.... thinking of going non-current Non SP but brand new, as well... There are some Hyperstrada's around, too... could always dump some cash into the suspension and make your own SP, and own hard bags too.

Ya the SP is $$ but the mag wheels marz forks and ohlins shock would add up to quite a bit if bought aftermarket. However the black non SP model looks badass.

Have you had a chance to ride one of the bikes yet? it's quite a shock coming from a R6, I loved the power and handling, the clutch and throttle response will take some getting use to.

I haven't personally, but a friend of mine tried buying a Duc from them last summer...he made the deal and when he went in to pick it up, was told the price was incorrect, and they tried to get $5000 more out of him...needless to say he got his money back and went to GP...

I had an identical experience with a sales guy there, older guy. Complete dick.
Some shady used bikes there, US imports.
I think they are used to guys from Oakville who buy toys like that on impulse.

Ya the SP is $$ but the mag wheels marz forks and ohlins shock would add up to quite a bit if bought aftermarket. However the black non SP model looks badass.

Have you had a chance to ride one of the bikes yet? it's quite a shock coming from a R6, I loved the power and handling, the clutch and throttle response will take some getting use to.

Ohh yeah, I forgot about the wheels!! Damn, SP it is then.

I have not ridden it, but I can totally get what you're saying. My last bike was an SV and going from that to the R6 was pretty mind blowing.

The only thing pushing me away from the Duc is my lust to try a bike with a V4. Ie RSV4. Would settle for VFR in a couple years maybe.

It may not matter to you but based on forum feedback and several people I know with various Ducati models these bikes seem to require more maintenance time and $$ and aren't as reliable as some other brands. Moot point if you have to have it.

I haven't personally, but a friend of mine tried buying a Duc from them last summer...he made the deal and when he went in to pick it up, was told the price was incorrect, and they tried to get $5000 more out of him...needless to say he got his money back and went to GP...
Not sure if we have a mutual friend, but a fellow rider from our weekly meet mentioned he went through the same hassle. Signed a deal and when time arrived for delivery the dealer asked for a few thousand.

OP: I would go to GPbikes if I were you. I've dealt with Gerry and he's a no BS guy. I was about to buy a triumph from him but snagged a cbr from another dealer instead due to better deal (from Honda).

Apex is also great I have bought a few bikes from Colin (Ducati and KTM) I wouldn't hesitate to buy another bike there.

My close friend bought a brand new Streetfighter 848 from them. He had enough headaches during the purchasing process to make me not to ever buy anything from there. Long story short, a very poor customer service experience.

I went there to look at some monsters, the older sales guy was way too pushy. I told him I was looking for under 700cc but he kept insisting that I get the 796 only because it had the single sided swing arm. Like that was the determining factor of the bike. I also told him I had a budget of $10,000, the 796 he wanted me to buy was $12,999 for a 2010. I laughed at him even the 696 was over $10,500 for an 2010. I then went to look at other bikes and the dude brings over a bill of sale for the 796. I looked at him and was like WTF. I said no thanks and walked out. I would probably never buy a car or a motorcycle from that place.

Peninsula's prices are out of whack with the market on every single bike they sell. I would not purchase a screw from them.

I just bought my new Duc from them(Peninsula) and was very happy with the service I received. Although I don't think there is much negotiating on price to be had!
I went back with a small problem a week later, just before closing and they were right on top of it.
One thing I did like was they gave me the exact price for the first service, I talked to Apex and had to ask them 3 times what the total was going to be. Was a bit annoying.

When ever I need Ducati parts, I call up Peninsula. Their tech is decent at ordering me the right stuff for the jobs.

Bought my bike from Apex. Colin is a super nice guy. However, will not go there to get it serviced.

Penninsula have a great service department. John the Service Manager, always great. Craig and Graham(Service mechanics) are the best. They care for my bike as much as I do. Both #1 in my books.

However, in buying a new Ducati you are pretty much out of luck. Ducati themselves rarely lower the prices on bikes.
Another way around is getting a deal is to ask for accessories. Most dealers have wiggle room. Some parts they might throw in or a nice discount. Not just 10%.

Would I buy a bike from Peninsula? Yes, I would. For the reason I have started a relationship with getting it serviced there. Plus getting a deal on accessories.
I am about 55 kms form Peninsula and it is worth the drive for me. Most certainly, even if I local Ducati dealer opened up near me.

Quite a few years ago (maybe 8 or so) I went there to order a couple valve shims for my Ducati (I knew the sizes, etc. just needed them ordered). The Ducati parts guy refused to order them and told me I have to bring the bike in! They have been on my banned list ever since.

Rev was still in business then and they sold me the shims I needed right on the spot out of the shop inventory. Rev was real hit and miss when it came to service reviews but they were good to me parts wise.

Apex is also great I have bought a few bikes from Colin (Ducati and KTM) I wouldn't hesitate to buy another bike there.

Ditto for Apex. Every time I've gone to Peninsula I've left unimpressed based on attitude and lack of knowledge. I don't even bother anymore. I've yet to talk to someone I know personally that has much positive to say about them.

So what happened optionfa? Did you get the SP?

I keep eyeing it on Kijiji and am tempted myself!

And what did he pay? Was it a new bike, and the exact same model for the original 5000.00 lower price he was offered by Penisula? I doubt that. If the buyer knew something about the bike he wanted to buy, like selling/asking price, didn't he think he was getting a steal in the first place? Even comparable used bikes re same model, year, mileages don't have 5K differences between them.

Sorry, but that sounds odd to say the least. It could have been an honest mistake by a new sales person, they did have a new sales person there a while back, who used the the wrong price tag on the wrong bike.

They've been in business for many, many years, selling and servicing exotic used cars like Ferraris, Porche, and other performance oriented brands like BMW Jaguars as well as older Brit marques like MG etc, and Ducatis motorcycles for at least 11 years, so they have to be doing something right re sales and service and parts.

Years ago, I bought a bike from them and they were the only ones to take my trade in. Other dealers, *now gone bust*, wouldn't even consider looking at my trade. I found the staff people willing to wheel and deal and they won my business. Getting parts has always been a good experience re availability and wait time. The service I did receive there was good. John is a good guy, but they did charge me for shims without returning the ones they replaced without me asking for them.

I would certainly buy from them again. Not that I wouldn't shop around first.

Back
Top Bottom