Adjusting fork spring tension | GTAMotorcycle.com

Adjusting fork spring tension

eljay

2011 Suzuki Gladius if that matters. I find the suspension way too "bouncy" or "soft". I want it tighter.
I got the back tightened up all the way and it's better and will have to do until I get the GSXR shock in there someday.
Anyway the front, the service manual has this to say, and nothing more:
PCsWvsCZMqRu7ev7xvL6KaJ8oltcT5GNPtEzT5Gbt-E=w321-h457-no

Question: Am I wanting to move to position 5 or 0? I don't know if max/min means max/min softness or stiffness...
I suppose I could experiment but I'm sitting at a desk away from the bike and thinking about it.

Another question for the future of decision making: would doing spring/oil/valve/cartridge upgrades be worthwhile in whole or part or is fantasizing (and trying) about GSXR shocks on better?

Changing spring preload will not make the front end stiffer.

The only real way to make the front stiffer is to install a heavier spring. Moving to position A might help keep the front end from bottoming out but it does not make the front stiffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another option is to put thicker oil.

Yeah, this is probably a good idea. When I got my SV it was already out all the way, I didn't even realize it because I was a rookie. It was terrible, I bottomed it out all the time on stuff my current bike eats up.

So position A is the answer. New springs and oil someday when Fawaz offers me a sweet discount lol.

Testing the entire range of options available leads to an empirical result much quicker than reading that wall of text. I'm about 180.0001lbs.

How much do you weigh? Just setting the preload to max is not always the answer. If you are between 150 and 180 then you may end up having too little sag and your suspension will not be working in the proper range, could end up just as bad. Better way to set it up is to actually measure the sag. http://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-r.../november/feb23-05-how-to-set-suspension-sag/

Most bikes are set up for someone in your weight range. Setting the sag correctly will make your suspension work in the sweet spot. Just cranking the preload to max can make your suspension worse. It is not that hard you just need to make some measurements and have someone to help you. If you prefer a video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjGgq1z9zbo

Adding more preload will not change the ride characteristics of the shock or fork it just changes the ride height. Only changing the spring or the weight of the oil will change the way the forks or shock feels.

Last edited:
Not getting how measuring sag = setting sag. I can not take measurements and not do anything and get the same results. Knowing some numbers will not change the suspension set up.
Instead, I cranked that thingy in the back shock to the max and went 2 notches in on the front and the ride is way different. For example, the situation that prompted this endeavor, going into a corner, braking, then getting nearly bucked off as I released the brake while beginning to tip in. Anyone want to dispute? I guess this is preload that I adjusted. I apologize for that. I'm guessing that commentators think this shouldn't be touched? I did it and improved my ride. Can you prove otherwise? I might even dial the front a little tighter. Still getting some bounce, but doing what I did (change preload) drastically changed ride quality, despite not using a tape measure and riding the bike instead.

Another question: if preload is adjustable (and it is kids, I did it), why is it adjustable and why does the shop manual recommend changing it based on riders weight and riding characteristics if it does nothing as some poster said? And why then, if it is adjusted, is there a difference in the feeling of ride quality

Should I go all the way to the other end and expect nothing at all?

Thank you. That explains perfectly that preload is exactly what I needed to adjust. I was getting too much travel which I interpreted as "bounce", not being accustomed to riding something that felt like a yoyo. To imagine that this bike's stock setup is ideal for someone my weight is something I would consider very dangerous advice. I'm guessing it's setup for someone about 120lbs (ie it's a chick bike, and average chicks are about 120ish?)
I'll go measure tonight and tell people I adjusted the SAG once the tape measure recoils since the internet calls taking 3 measurements adjusting something. Maybe I'll post the numbers in ft/inches as well since I don't have a metric tape measure and can't be arsed to either.
Anyway, maybe I'll get new springs and oils in there someday.

We posted information to the OP but he refuses to read/learn about suspension and chooses to go by seat of the pants feel. That is fine I just don't understand why you ask a question and get informed answers but then refuse to take that information and use it and tell those more knowledgeable that they are wrong. All we told you was by measuring the sag you will then have the end result of placing your forks and springs in the correct range for your suspension to work optimally. Also measuring tells you whether with your current springs you can achieve that, if the springs are too weak no matter how much preload you add you can not get it to the correct range resulting in the need for stiffer springs. Of course just cranking it up has the same result but you may also be limiting your suspension travel by having too much preload cranked in. The measurement process is by no means difficult.

Yes what you did will change the ride quality as you now are getting the suspension preload dialed in so you are using the forks and shocks at the right range. But as I said and others the softness or harshness of a motorcycle suspension is also based on oil weights, air gaps in the forks and whether or not your suspension has other adjustments such as Compression and Rebound damping usually found on higher end equipment that most Japanese bikes do not have unless you change yourself to higher end parts.

Go read my original question and stop trying to insult me for not falling in love with your scientism. The question was answered a long time ago and problem solved given what is without taking measurements in metric and subtracting numbers from each other and without buying thousands of dollars worth of hardware. I'm well aware how suspension works btw.

We posted information to the OP but he refuses to read/learn about suspension and chooses to go by seat of the pants feel. That is fine I just don't understand why you ask a question and get informed answers but then refuse to take that information and use it and tell those more knowledgeable that they are wrong. All we told you was by measuring the sag you will then have the end result of placing your forks and springs in the correct range for your suspension to work optimally. Also measuring tells you whether with your current springs you can achieve that, if the springs are too weak no matter how much preload you add you can not get it to the correct range resulting in the need for stiffer springs. Of course just cranking it up has the same result but you may also be limiting your suspension travel by having too much preload cranked in. The measurement process is by no means difficult.

Yes what you did will change the ride quality as you now are getting the suspension preload dialed in so you are using the forks and shocks at the right range. But as I said and others the softness or harshness of a motorcycle suspension is also based on oil weights, air gaps in the forks and whether or not your suspension has other adjustments such as Compression and Rebound damping usually found on higher end equipment that most Japanese bikes do not have unless you change yourself to higher end parts.

Back
Top Bottom