Ok, so why do supermoto riders need helmets with peak visors? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ok, so why do supermoto riders need helmets with peak visors?

kiwi

Ok, so was having this discussion the other day, about helmets and riders.. and were wondering why adventure riders and super moto riders tend to get helmets with peak visors. ?

Figured it was for blocking the Sun.. but many helmets have built in tinted visors, such as this:
casque-xlite-551-start-ncom-blanc-s6.jpg

Is it mainly a style thing???

I want one of those. The morning and early-evening sun is annoying even with a tinted lens.

But yeah, I think most guys buy it because it complements the dual-sport look.

Because the can :)
I think on sport bike such a sail will fell off with a head :)
But for ADV and dirt bike its is additional level of protection from stones and tree branches and dirt.

Because the can :)
I think on sport bike such a sail will fell off with a head :)
But for ADV and dirt bike its is additional level of protection from stones and tree branches and dirt.

i never thought about it this way. i would actually wear one but i think it would jsut look out of place on an SS

I want one of those. The morning and early-evening sun is annoying even with a tinted lens.

But yeah, I think most guys buy it because it complements the dual-sport look.

I would think at high speeds it may act like a sail perhaps on a SS ?

I took a new off road helmet out for a spin on the street bike and surprisingly it didn't catch too much wind. The peak was noticeable when doing shoulder checks over 100kph, but it didn't rip my head off or anything. On the street the peak would be nice to have around sunset, but otherwise its just a styling exercise.

Practically speaking, I only use the peak off road to avoid getting smacked in the face by branches.

Ofcourse at lunchtime I saw a guy on Ducatti monster with this.. :)

13005-Shark-Raw-Kubrik-Motorcycle-Helmet-Black-Yellow-1600-2.jpg

I tried one, I admit it, because I really liked how they looked. I used it once and sold it. For early morning bright sun protection I use glacier glasses (class 4) and it's all good even with the sun in my face. They are a bit too dark in the city but better than dealing with the beak.

I have a supermoto and a dual sport helmet. I have it for a few reasons, it looks badass and the visor allows you to use goggles.

My DS and MX helmets have beaks.

Key features for me... bends/keeps the branches away (sometimes they whip back so a bigger beak allow more bend action before it comes into the helmet), roost from way above (ie. someone on a higher switchback line) doesn't hit your face, sun blocking. For some the underside of the beak serves as a camera mounting point too.

Life with the beak is a love hate relationship but try riding a dirt bike on the highway and the beak issues don't seem so big anymore.

I have this multi-convertible

afxfx55_hi_vis_helmet_detail.jpg

It does catch wind if you move your head around a bit. But I'd think on a naked bike or SS would be worse and might hinder visibility.

Kinda nice with the main visor up and the sunvisor down...neat look.

Converts to these

afxfx55_hi_vis_helmet_zoom.jpg
and more
AFX FX-55 Hi-Vis Helmet
The AFX FX55 Helmet is truly modular and can be used in seven different configurations. The FX-55 is the essence of what a modular helmet can be, combining the best of fullface, dirt and open face helmets.
Features:

Aerodynamic shell design constructed using an advanced lightweight composite poly-alloy
Helmet can be configured one of seven different ways:
Helmet with standard visor, shield, and chin bar (standard configuration)
Helmet with standard visor and shield
Helmet with shield and chin bar
Helmet with shield
Helmet with standard visor
Helmet with short visor
Helmet with MX vent chin bar and standard visor

Flip-up, flush fit, quick release, single turn screw face shield
Shield is optically correct compound curved, scratch-resistant and protects against UV-rays
Smoke tinted inner flip down sun shield system with left side slide lever
Helmet liner and cheek pads made with a hypoallergenic and antimicrobial nylon, all of which are removable and washable
10 points of ventilation with chin, side, forehead top and rear vents
Retention system is quick release with sewn on ECE logo
Provides ample ear cavity space for most speaker systems
Clear coat finish to protect paint & graphics
Limited Lifetime Warranty

Well, if you are a dirtbiker first, then you probably have a bunch off offroad lids. Then you find out about supermoto and convert your bike... well why buy another lid when you already have some to use?

Ive ridden both SS and supermotos and my be all and end all fav has ended up as a ARAI XD4 dualsport helmet. I love the huge view you get with the visor(you get a bit of tunnel vision with goggles, if you dont have top of the line oakleys which are the best ive tried) and having the peak for sun blocking is the best for sunrise/sunset rides. Plus it cuts down on the wind noise a full dirt lid gives on the hwy (but you loose a bit of airflow)... Also protects your cheeks from road debris/bugs vs a dirtbike lid.

Most of the guys that I know that SM say because they sit very upright (sometimes even leaning back) on the bike, normal street helmets let the sun in your eyes too much so the peak solves that issue.

Here is the reason why...

When I was 10-11 or let's say back in the day we rode dirt bikes in the trails of Toronto.. Yes they had them! (Pottery road was great, so was Victoria park and danforth)

One day I said ... hey why cant I wear a cool looking helmet with a cool looking mirror style visor...

I was told.... Kid you will scratch the **** out of that before the day is though and will have to constantly replace it.

Therefore you wear a helmet with no visor and cheap black sunglasses

The beak blocked more sun to allow the sunglasses to be more affective but also some how lessened the amount of crap that would hit your face..

Now these new helmets with the visor built in.. Well you don't need the beak

So it's a fashion statement and there is nothing wrong with that it's just like any other motorcycle fashion statement I suppose :)

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

Ok, so was having this discussion the other day, about helmets and riders.. and were wondering why adventure riders and super moto riders tend to get helmets with peak visors. ?

Figured it was for blocking the Sun..

Is it mainly a style thing???

Roost!

Back
Top Bottom