NSR250R street legal? | GTAMotorcycle.com

NSR250R street legal?

Yes they are street legal.
Easiest way to put one on the street - buy one that's already titled.
Or you can do it the hard way and import one in. You will then need all the proper documentation (import docs, title from country of origin, bill of sale). Then you'll need a special safety, that apparently only MC dealers/shops can do - and if I remember correctly from the people at the MTO a federal inspection needs to happen too.

As starboy869 says "how deep are your pockets?"

Crank centre bearing/seals are no longer available, so there are limited number of these floating around for the mc21 & mc28.
Mc18 & mc16 centre crank bearings are all long gone. Crank could be a ticking time bomb.

I'm not even sure with grey bike insurance, seems to be all over the place. I haven't got there yet.

Mc28 is the most trick/ prettiest one from stock. Single sided swingarm, smartcard ignition and electronic dash, but it's the hardest and cost the most to de-restrict.
Mc21 is the preferred racers bike. Best frame & swingarm, best geometry, fairly easy to de-restrict.
SE and SP versions out there that have dry clutch, adjustable suspension, special livery paint, and lighter wheels.

Not cheap for a 250 by today's standards... but worth every penny if you're into two stroke race reps.

Here's a couple up for grabs...
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/markham-york-region/honda-nsr-250-mc28/1070184941
$_27.JPG

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...ol/1059323600?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
$_27.JPG

yes. as long as its properly imported, or as noted above import yourself.

They wont have traditional VINS like you are used to.

these bikes aren't really daily driver bikes. be prepare to wrench and wait 2+ weeks for parts from Japan. Honda Canada might be able to parts if you have a part #, but expect at least 3-6 weeks back order.

yes. as long as its properly imported, or as noted above import yourself.

They wont have traditional VINS like you are used to.

My local MTO balked at the VIN on my MC19 when I went to title it. They told me I would have to get a letter from a Honda dealer stating that it is a legitimate VIN for that model. No dealer nor Honda Canada felt they were qualified to do that as they only deal with North American models.

YMMV, I could have tried another MTO office but I only use it as a track bike so I didn't bother.

I could spend around 5k. I thought old bikes r suppose to be cheap. But I sounds like its alot of work and waiting

Yes they are street legal.
Easiest way to put one on the street - buy one that's already titled.
Or you can do it the hard way and import one in. You will then need all the proper documentation (import docs, title from country of origin, bill of sale). Then you'll need a special safety, that apparently only MC dealers/shops can do - and if I remember correctly from the people at the MTO a federal inspection needs to happen too.

As starboy869 says "how deep are your pockets?"

Crank centre bearing/seals are no longer available, so there are limited number of these floating around for the mc21 & mc28.
Mc18 & mc16 centre crank bearings are all long gone. Crank could be a ticking time bomb.

I'm not even sure with grey bike insurance, seems to be all over the place. I haven't got there yet.

Mc28 is the most trick/ prettiest one from stock. Single sided swingarm, smartcard ignition and electronic dash, but it's the hardest and cost the most to de-restrict.
Mc21 is the preferred racers bike. Best frame & swingarm, best geometry, fairly easy to de-restrict.
SE and SP versions out there that have dry clutch, adjustable suspension, special livery paint, and lighter wheels.

Not cheap for a 250 by today's standards... but worth every penny if you're into two stroke race reps.

Here's a couple up for grabs...
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/markham-york-region/honda-nsr-250-mc28/1070184941
$_27.JPG

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...ol/1059323600?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
$_27.JPG

Thx for the info

I could spend around 5k. I thought old bikes r suppose to be cheap. But I sounds like its alot of work and waiting

Not these ones, saw a limited edition low km model sell for $10k usd recently.

Old bikes are not cheap when you are talking about something rare and evidently somewhat collectible.

When I looked into importing an Aprilia RS250 I couldn't get quotes without having the bike already in the MTO's system. Meaning I would have no idea what insurance would be until after I imported it. I decided not to bother and just went with an RS125 that was already here.

Why would you think a classic, import-only, collectible bike would be cheap? That's like saying an old Lambo should be cheap or something.

Lol want to own a rare bike with $5k ....
When I was looking at bringing in the RS250 it would've been about that price. Not as rare as an NSR, though. The RS125s should be less expensive but are even less rare since they aren't grey market.

When I was looking at bringing in the RS250 it would've been about that price. Not as rare as an NSR, though. The RS125s should be less expensive but are even less rare since they aren't grey market.

The cost of the bike is just a start. Also ppl thimk parts must be from Japan.... As far as i know nsr rgv parts are only available from Thailand now. As these bikes are still being appreciated there.

The cost of the bike is just a start. Also ppl thimk parts must be from Japan.... As far as i know nsr rgv parts are only available from Thailand now. As these bikes are still being appreciated there.
Ok well you said you wanted a unique bike for under $5k and I gave you two options. Cost of ownership is a completely different topic.

Ok well you said you wanted a unique bike for under $5k and I gave you two options. Cost of ownership is a completely different topic.

No i actually laugh at the fact that owning such bike only cost $5k. You know what i mean.

I have a couple Aprilia RS250s, as much fun as they are on the track, I think it would really suck as a street bike. Now granted mine are in track trim and run premix, oil injection is gone. I can see if you lived right next to a winding mountain road or some other utopian motorcycle road, but for anywhere in Southern Ontario I think a 250 two stoke would make a terrible street ride. I use to think that one day I might make one of mine street legal until I rode them. I can't imagine the pain it would be trying to use it daily in traffic. You just can't ride one they way they are meant to be ridden on the road.

Also the cost to run one is much higher as mentioned. Parts that were once fairly cheap have become very expensive, and your going to need those parts. For instance, price out a new top end for an NSR just for parts not labour, then if that doesn't hurt enough price a crank if you can find one. I know that cranks for the RS250 are now over $1k Cdn, just to buy now factor in installation unless your handy.

I hate to burst anyone's dreams, I know I wanted an RS250 even though an SV650 would have been just as fast or faster and sooooooo much cheaper to run, but there is something about a two stroke race bike that just seems right. I just want you to understand the costs involved in owning one, the cheapest part of ownership will be the purchase price I can guarantee that.

I have a couple Aprilia RS250s, as much fun as they are on the track, I think it would really suck as a street bike. Now granted mine are in track trim and run premix, oil injection is gone. I can see if you lived right next to a winding mountain road or some other utopian motorcycle road, but for anywhere in Southern Ontario I think a 250 two stoke would make a terrible street ride. I use to think that one day I might make one of mine street legal until I rode them. I can't imagine the pain it would be trying to use it daily in traffic. You just can't ride one they way they are meant to be ridden on the road.

Also the cost to run one is much higher as mentioned. Parts that were once fairly cheap have become very expensive, and your going to need those parts. For instance, price out a new top end for an NSR just for parts not labour, then if that doesn't hurt enough price a crank if you can find one. I know that cranks for the RS250 are now over $1k Cdn, just to buy now factor in installation unless your handy.

I hate to burst anyone's dreams, I know I wanted an RS250 even though an SV650 would have been just as fast or faster and sooooooo much cheaper to run, but there is something about a two stroke race bike that just seems right. I just want you to understand the costs involved in owning one, the cheapest part of ownership will be the purchase price I can guarantee that.

Yup those 2 strokers are terrible in traffic. You have basically no low end or mid end. In Thailand even the labour is so cheap, bikers still wouldnt touch these 2 strokers.

NSR250 was once the king of street now belongs to someones living room.

Back
Top Bottom