After having a VFR800 for 16 years - What's Next?! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

After having a VFR800 for 16 years - What's Next?!

If you want a naked bike and like Honda and don't want to spend too much, look at the Honda nc/nx 700 or 750. We have a 2012 nc700 and when wifey and I aren't on our cruisers we rip around on it. Super cheap to maintain and operate. Not trilling to ride like your others on the wish list but if I had to narrow 3 bikes down to 1 I'd keep the nc 700.
Theyre fun if you like that kind if gearing with a redline at 6500 rpm (power is all in the lower part of the band)
CB500x is similar, same power-ish but geared more in a motorcycle way (has low end torque but really comes alive from 5-8RPM with redline at 8500)

But seeing that youre coming from an 800 crosstourer, you might find the power lacking..BUT cb500x and nc750x are awesome urban bikes. Big bike feel with small bike agility letting you keep up with bigger bike in twisties but still getting awesome gas mileage lol.

Personally, if i were you, id go with what most guys suggested, fz07, fz09

Last edited:
Yamaha V-Strom 650?
Kawasaki Versys?

Had the FZ-09, was not really impressed. Great motor... suspension lacking and super uncomfortable for longer commutes.
FZ-07 --- meh.

Demo a naked bike before you jump to one. Huge difference from VFR800.

if only short trips and city riding, maybe the CB500 series? should be enough power for your needs, Honda reliability and with the 500cc displacement, you should see some pretty significant insurance savings.

I get it is quite a it smaller than you 3 choices identified, but it should meet your needs. Worth giving it a thought.

needs :laughing5:

Quit diddling around and buy a literbike.

My son is happy with his FZ08 inline 4. Yamaha really refined it in the last model year. ( 2013 ).

$_27.JPG

He tried the 09 and like the ergonomics of 08 better.

CB500r is for smaller riders - if comfortable on the VFR ....CB500r or F likely too small.

CB500x one of my fav bikes and will fit but nothing near a VFR.

Still for a light fun do anything bike. Had a very enjoyable demo on it.

Last edited:
If you enjoyed 16 years on a VFR, there is a strong argument to be made for getting a new one or a gently used one and keep on enjoying. If it's a change you seek and you like naked bikes, the new generation Z1000 is tops IMO.

I loved the z1000 until I tried the GSX-S 750. I'm anticipating the GSXS 1000.

Where's this reliability stuff coming from regarding Triumph and KTM? Both manufacturers make solid bikes. How current is your information? Im wondering if you're potentially leaning on old generalizations still attached to non-Japanese bikes... especially the likes of Ducati, KTM, Triumph, etc.

It's a good idea to check out model specific forums to gauge reliability from actual owners. I recently dodged a bullet doing a little research.

If you enjoyed 16 years on a VFR, there is a strong argument to be made for getting a new one

Word seems to be the new one ain't the same beast at all.
And for OP's use- big time overkill.

Another vote here for the z1000.Reliable,easy maintenance and a lot of fun to ride ,oh and the best looking naked bike imho

A bit higher than your budget, but you should check out the Yamaha FJ-09. Same base bike as the FZ-09, but with the suspension and throttle complaints addressed, and a few touring oriented bits added (quarter fairing, more upright seating, etc.). This would probably be a good transition bike after so many years with the VFR.

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details.php?model=4565&group=MC&catId=79

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvfwgnwpA34

Man if they make an updated FJ1200 or bigger like this one, im in! Big in line fours rule for torque. I make more torque at 3000 then most liter bikes at peak,lol

BB

Wanted the fz07. Test rode it and was disappointed. Buzzy and the throttle is twitchy. You'll loose feeling in your hands and feet in 20 mins.

Where's this reliability stuff coming from regarding Triumph and KTM? Both manufacturers make solid bikes. How current is your information? Im wondering if you're potentially leaning on old generalizations still attached to non-Japanese bikes... especially the likes of Ducati, KTM, Triumph, etc.

This article came out a few weeks ago: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/10/american-motorcycles-loved-japanese-reliable-consumer-reports/

You did hundreds of thousands of kilometers on it? What was the final count?

Update:

This weekend I rode the FZ7 and FZ9.
I thought the 7 was a blast, but now looking at the comments above, I did notice it was quite buzzy, and I'm coming from a bike that was super-smooth, so it might be a hard transition.
The 9 was a lot of fun, and if the throttle issue has been fixed, I'm going to consider that or the Ninja 1000/Z1000.

Does anyone know what years I should be considering for the Ninja/Z?
I'm trying to keep my price low.

Good ol consumer reports. Apparently BMWs have a 40% failure rate by 4th year lol....

Back
Top Bottom