What would you do for a commuter? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What would you do for a commuter?

DDean

Site Supporter
Im itching for a sport bike and am moving to West Vancouver where my commute will be about 23km, half on Sea to Sky and rest through Stanley Park and city streets.

Would you get a Ducati 848/899 as a commuter? Ill have covered parking at work and a sweet garage at home, but for sure it'll get wet in between, plus Ill be putting ~50km on it a day.

Other choice is to get a new 2013 RC8R. Engine is way too big for my purpose but what the hell. My draw to the RC8 is its looks, uniqueness and adjustability.

OR, get a ZX6R or a newish 675R.

I love all these bikes. The ZX6 is by far the cheapest and possibly the best commuter choice given its a Japanese bike, but I like unique machines and I see the 899/848/RC8s and 675Rs as unique. Comfort doesnt matter. I commuted in a race prepped NSX that was the most uncomfortable car ever on any road for years.

Ill probably buy a bike here and move it - bike choices seem very poor out there, especially on the used market.

You're in luck - the motorcycle water solubility problem was solved in recent years. So whatever you get, the rain shouldn't be an issue.

Are you really sure comfort doesn't matter? After using a Ninja 1000 for commuting I'm probably spoiled forever. Sure, it won't be every day that there's an accident on the highway and you're stuck in stop-and-go traffic when it's 30+ degrees outside, on a bike with a tall 1st gear and a heavy clutch. Commuting on the Ninja 1000 was a dream, though. I never failed to look forward to the ride to work or the ride home.

Otherwise I'm not really sure what you're looking for here. Baby Panigales and 675Rs are nice, but they're common enough. My guts tell me the RC8R would be a miserable commuter, can't remember exactly why though. Have you considered accepting Aprilia into your heart?

You're in luck - the motorcycle water solubility problem was solved in recent years. So whatever you get, the rain shouldn't be an issue.

Are you really sure comfort doesn't matter? After using a Ninja 1000 for commuting I'm probably spoiled forever. Sure, it won't be every day that there's an accident on the highway and you're stuck in stop-and-go traffic when it's 30+ degrees outside, on a bike with a tall 1st gear and a heavy clutch. Commuting on the Ninja 1000 was a dream, though. I never failed to look forward to the ride to work or the ride home.

Otherwise I'm not really sure what you're looking for here. Baby Panigales and 675Rs are nice, but they're common enough. My guts tell me the RC8R would be a miserable commuter, can't remember exactly why though. Have you considered accepting Aprilia into your heart?
We need to talk. Thinking getting that as my next bike. Insurance is only $700 for me

Thanks for the reply Twisted. Mostly looking for whether or not the Japanese bikes make the most sense as commuters. Id love an 899, but unsure if its a wise choice from a reliability, maintenance and putting miles on it perspective.

I think that the RC8 would be the most comfy of the bunch, but I wish it had electronics (lack of electronics would appeal to most!).

Beyond that, it comes down to price and insurance!

I'd get the zx6, but then I may be biased. Mine has been rock solid so far, but it still barely has any kms on it I guess.

23km isn't exactly a long commute, unless it's all city stop and go. Ride whatever.

It seems like you're looking to turn heads with a commuter bike. Most people look at mileage and ease of maintenance for a commuter bike.

You want form or function? Function, I'd go with a smaller Japanese bike like a 300 and a bit less sporty(i.e. more upright seating position). Form, whatever the hell you like, even if it costs more for gas and is a ***** to ride in traffic. Me I'd get the 300.

Crossing Lions Gate Bridge between Stanley Park and Sea to sky highway is the most congested part of entire Vancouver area, I believe. I'd get something stop and go friendly.

it looks like $ isn't really a factor. so in my honest opinion out of all the bikes you mentioned, my first choice is the ducati baby panigale. it's my attainable dream bike and since the commute doesn't seem to long, i'd get that. my next choice would be the 675r. i love the high pitched whine of a triple and uniqueness of it. tied last would e the rc8(it's big) and zx6r(its more common going against what you want)

but the zx6r is probably the most reliable out of all.

I have about 35k kms on my Daytona and not a problem yet. As far as comfort is concerned, the RC8R is about as comfortable as it's going to get on a sport bike. I don't know how they did it, but the ergos are fantastic. For rideability, in horrific traffic, I wouldn't get a v-twin. Of the bikes on your list I would get the Daytona. Bikes that aren't on your list that should be, Street Triple R, and any of the MV's. If you're ever going to take a passenger, Street Triple R. I like the Speed Triple R too, but it's overpriced.

It seems like you're looking to turn heads with a commuter bike. Most people look at mileage and ease of maintenance for a commuter bike.

Turning heads is not necessarily what Im after but I do want a bike that I feel is special, but I wouldnt sacrifice reliability to do that (but would sacrifice comfort). Ideally, a sexy low maintenance and reliable bike is what Im after!

You want form or function? Form, whatever the hell you like, even if it costs more for gas and is a ***** to ride in traffic.

That is probably more concise than you realize. I take Form over function in this case!

it looks like $ isn't really a factor.
but the zx6r is probably the most reliable out of all.

Money is ALWAYS a factor and Im seeing ZX6Rs with no miles on them for thousands less than same year low mileage 675Rs, plus insurance (at least here in Toronto and for me) is a few hundred cheaper with the Ninja too. I WANT a white 899 but I dont want to pay that price.

I have about 35k kms on my Daytona and not a problem yet. As far as comfort is concerned, the RC8R is about as comfortable as it's going to get on a sport bike. I don't know how they did it, but the ergos are fantastic. For rideability, in horrific traffic, I wouldn't get a v-twin. Of the bikes on your list I would get the Daytona. Bikes that aren't on your list that should be, Street Triple R, and any of the MV's. If you're ever going to take a passenger, Street Triple R. I like the Speed Triple R too, but it's overpriced.

The RC8R is probably going to be too expensive. I love its look but its engine is 2x the size of what I think I should get! $16k for a 2013 with 0 miles on it is the best deal I can find. I dont want to spend that much for a 3 year old bike that has been sitting due to lack of buyers. There are at least three that the dealers have not been able to move since 2013 available right now. I hear you about the Street Triple R - that should be my bike - but Im lusting for a sexy sportbike. Form over function baby!
I also agree with you that the Daytona is probably my best choice of that list. Smoking 600 class that is reliable. Guessing that a great 2013 will cost me $12k vs a great same year $8500 ZX6R, or less. Thats a significant premium.

Im going to see a bunch of bikes in the next few days. Will see which ones speak to me.

Ducati's have improved but they're not low maintenance and you're going to get reamed when you do have to get it done. Riding an 899 in stop and go traffic like you'll get on the bridge will probably melt the bike.

You also have to consider how damn nice Sea to Sky highway is and if you plan on doing any leisure riding on it you might benefit from having a bike that has traction control as the road conditions can get dicey.

If you're looking for a low maintenance, reasonably priced and good looking though common bike, go with a japanese bike. Or...have you considered an S1000R?

Back
Top Bottom