RACE Round 1 - May 16-17 | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

RACE Round 1 - May 16-17

I followed you for a few laps in warm up. You were moving and should be in AM :)

See you out there next round!

As soon as you win a Novice 600 race, you are automatically graduated into AM with no opportunity to run Novice again.

Shaman, nice results! Two podiums. At this rate you'll have black numbers by Thursday, lol.

Shaman, nice results! Two podiums. At this rate you'll have black numbers by Thursday, lol.

Thanks but your faith in me is higher than mine, lol I'm too old to work that hard. :)

I know where there are seconds hiding in my lap times, though. Just got to get my confidence and my brain around the spots where I'm losing time. All weekend I spent working on my comfort level since it was my first time on the bike this year. Also, I had a different seat setup on the bike for the last two years; it handles significantly differently... not worse, exactly, just different - the seat is about an inch or so lower, now. I rarely touch down a knee with my style, but I was smearing my puck in the chainsaw most laps, so I guess it must have been an inch off the pavement all this time... ;)

And yes Chris, I think you were on the bike with the checkered flag on the side? I remember a few battles with you in practice and I believe I may have also had a pass-me/pass-you battle approaching the hairpin to the back straight, during the race. I was focused on keeping my speed so I don't entirely remember which bike it was, whoever it was passed me back in the hairpin and then missed a shift, which gave me an open track to work with. After that I managed to get right up on Raniowski and Hood but even with another lap or two I am not sure i could have made a pass... both Mikes were tiring each other out, but my reactions were starting to slow down too.

Last edited:
Thanks but your faith in me is higher than mine, lol I'm too old to work that hard. :)

I know where there are seconds hiding in my lap times, though. Just got to get my confidence and my brain around the spots where I'm losing time. All weekend I spent working on my comfort level since it was my first time on the bike this year. Also, I had a different seat setup on the bike for the last two years; it handles significantly differently... not worse, exactly, just different - the seat is about an inch or so lower, now. I rarely touch down a knee with my style, but I was smearing my puck in the chainsaw most laps, so I guess it must have been an inch off the pavement all this time... ;)

And yes Chris, I think you were on the bike with the checkered flag on the side? I remember a few battles with you in practice and I believe I may have also had a pass-me/pass-you battle approaching the hairpin to the back straight, during the race. I was focused on keeping my speed so I don't entirely remember which bike it was, whoever it was passed me back in the hairpin and then missed a shift, which gave me an open track to work with. After that I managed to get right up on Raniowski and Hood but even with another lap or two I am not sure i could have made a pass... both Mikes were tiring each other out, but my reactions were starting to slow down too.

How many riders on the grid?

This used to be my signature, but Chad didn't like it.

How many riders on the grid?

This used to be my signature, but Chad didn't like it.

I'd have to check mylaps to be sure due to a restart caused by a first lap red flag, but think it was 14 on first start and 10 on the restart.

I thought it was 16 and 14 finished, but I may be wrong. mylaps.com will probably tell you. I'd look it up myself but I'm out the door shortly for music practice.

BTW Chris, I think I figured out who you are and if so it's doubly good to hear your opinion. I'm always open for advice. FWIW there's more than just corners where I can pick up time, haven't done the Pro track since 2009 because I generally don't care for it, and I did a tire switch to Pirellis this spring, which I am very happy with BTW... I had probably a couple pounds too much pressure for the race, the bike was turning in nicely but sliding and running a little wide under power. I had just got the new tire on the bike when the 10 minute warning sounded, so I had to guess at the ideal cold pressure. All stuff I will work on next round.

Last edited:
2nd place took both 1st and 2nd out
Ah damn...was watching mylaps saw they were lapping 1 second ish faster than the rest of the grid and both dnf on lap 9

Yep, there was front line attrition. As you can see from the picture I linked, though, they were not a second a lap faster by mid-race. Maybe a second ahead at most. Anyway, that was my first AM 600 race... very tough competition but I know the Long track configuration much better and have a handle on some sore spots on the Pro as well now. Everyone's going to be faster next time out, though... unlike the pros who ride in the States during the winter, I imagine most of us have had very little seat time yet this year.

Yep, there was front line attrition. As you can see from the picture I linked, though, they were not a second a lap faster by mid-race. Maybe a second ahead at most. Anyway, that was my first AM 600 race... very tough competition but I know the Long track configuration much better and have a handle on some sore spots on the Pro as well now. Everyone's going to be faster next time out, though... unlike the pros who ride in the States during the winter, I imagine most of us have had very little seat time yet this year.

You can find out all of your times on mylaps. You finished 6s behind 1st at the end of the race and every lap was a 1:11 but one where you did a 1:10.xx. The leaders were doing 1:10's with a 1:09 being their fastest. So yes they were a second a lap faster the whole race.

It's good to see your out there racing. You should race SBK too.

In AM 600 our last corner was Allen's technically. haha
We had a good battle all race.

The guy with the checkered flag on the side of his bike is Todd Ferguson.

Yes I figured out who that bike was. Hard to imagine a 6s spread between the bikes given the picture I posted! Felt like I could throw a stone at Raniowski. Need some seat time.

Next time around I will be running 600, SBK and possibly Open. Debating on bringing my 1000, I may give it a go on that. It handles so much differently that I'm probably better just running the 600. It really is tired, though... might be time to get a fresher 600 and delegate it to backup.

Last edited:
Mike Hood posted up a video of the AM 600 race. He has the SBK race on his channel too.

[video=youtube;rXQsp9oraKw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXQsp9oraKw[/video]

I didn't realise that the frontrunners had pulled off that far as I was focused just on my lap time and the tail end of Hood (then Raniowski when Hood took him). From my vantage point and focus, it looked like they were all running together in a pack. So now six seconds gap is fully understood.

Back
Top Bottom