First 500KM | GTAMotorcycle.com

First 500KM

seanguy

Morning!

Thought I'd write a little about my first 500km as a new rider. I bought a brand new 2014 Honda CB500F back in December 2014. I chose to buy new because 1) I could afford to buy it outright and 2) I am not very mechanical and I wanted my first season/ seasons to be about the ride not the wrench.

It was delivered at the end of March and I had a rough start. I finished the M1 exit through Humber in October 2014 and I felt that by the time the bike came I had some cobwebs around the little skill/ knowledge I gained. I spent the winter reading a few books and watching a few movies (cough twist of the wrist) to try and keep my mind fresh. When the bike arrived though I blanked! Living at Yonge/ Sheppard in Toronto it is a little intimidating, at least it was for me, to get out on those busy roads. It wasn't until the end of April, after about 30km touring in my underground garage, that I felt comfortable to hit the roads.

My first ride was at 5am on Saturday and I went around the block and logged about 10km just putting around my neighbourhood. No real issues but still a fair bit of nerves related to stalling in traffic/ in the middle of an intersection/ on the uphill exit of my underground garage - the sensor, obviously, doesn't pick up the bike. Besides the fear of stalling, the act of actually getting on the road 100% cleared my mind. The focus became on the technique learned back in October and the surroundings. Huge confidence boost.

Second/Third/5th rides were about the same but even shorter for the most part but the fear of stalling was still there. I hadn't had any issues on the road stalling, but getting out of my underground was always done on the second/ third attempt.

First long ride: my fiance's father and brother both ride Harleys and they have been riding forever. They invited me to take a tour with them this past Saturday. No discussion on length or route; just yes - absolutely. We spent 11 hours, 7am to 6pm (with breaks), cruising from Toronto to Whitby to Cambellford and back around to Toronto. We stayed off the 400 series but were easily above highway speeds once we got onto the northern two lane highways heading west to east. The whole experience was amazing. Experienced gravel roads, steep uphill starts, roundabouts, debris in the road, group riding, slow and fast speed cornering and rain to start the day off.

Finishing the day was the most tired, most rewarding and most relieved I can remember! It boosted my confidence up 100% - not to push the limits - but to continue learning in all environments.

Things I learned:
- stolen from proficient motorcycling but I wanted to put this at the top - slow, look, lean, roll! The biggest things being slow and look in my beginner opinion.
- getting into first from neutral at lights/ stops... I wouldn't say 'cheat' the red/ stop by engaging early but definitely get the clutch into that sweet spot where it wants to go all the way. I found this was the best way to keep my confidence up for engaging first - this way I wasn't 'rushed' to get into first... I was already there just had to roll on the throttle and gently let out the clutch the last inch or two.
- roundabouts are freaking weird. When you are moving on a bike, at least for me, you want to ignore the yield and just keep rolling around. I caught myself not slowing down and instead getting ready to speed up, rather than yield in case of a vehicle. Had to keep telling myself to slow it down and be ready to brake rather than be ready to punch it.
- fish and chips at Captain George's is Cambellford is great! Don't get the two piece though unless you want to be rolled out of the restaurant.
- gravel: like proficient motorcycling said, steer with the throttle and if possible, stay off the front brake and only if you have to use the back brake - lightly/ evenly

Mistakes I made:
- coming in too fast to intersection corners. I only made the mistake once, and I promise you once is enough to learn. We had just finished coming from highway speeds to a 50 zone and were looking to turn right. The guys in front took it at an impressive click and I broke the cardinal rule - ride for yourself and don't try to keep up. I crossed the opposing lane by at least 3 feet. Luckily there was no car. We took a break 10 minutes up the road and I got a talking to... skip the talk and just slow down
- uphill starts: I don't know why I was so nervous about these... I still am but less so... just engage the sweet spot of the clutch and roll on a few extra RPM over the normal, flat start. At least that is what I found worked for me - duh.
- passing a tractor. yep. I am a fool. There was a very, very large combine on a two lane and the boys were able to get by quickly, without issue... when I got closer, however... there was traffic coming the other direction... again - like the roundabout - rather than thinking slow, yield and go... I throttled up and split. It worked out but I felt like a tool. I did it for the wrong reasons, I didn't want to get left behind. Don't rush just chill.

Well of text is done! Happy riding!

Nice stories, thanks for sharing. You should come back and reread this at the end of the season, you'll get a kick out of it.

Congrats Sean, sounds like you on well on your way to a nice riding career. Remember your mistakes and it will only get better with the more confidence and experience you get.

Happy riding and welcome to the family.

Nice nice nice. Welcome cb500 cousin!

I just breached the first 500km on my cb500x, its mainly commuting though. I also shadowed the m2x course last weekend and after seeing other riders do the test and hear all the tiips and tricks, my self-esteem's been boosted a bit but having to drive into the downtown core everyday...holy moly does that make your mind think a lot faster. Cant wait to go touring though.

Holy crap 30km in an underground?!

Either way kudos to you for being marure and not surpassing your own limits. If only all riders thought like that

congratz friend! no rush you have a life time of riding to get better. If you have time and money you can take some courses, track, or street riding like Sharps Total Control and learn proper technique.

Congrats. One of your in laws should have been a tail gunner. Whenever I ride with newbs, I follow so they set the pace. Even with my buddy that's been riding a few years now. Though it's more cause he's slow. :lmao:

Thanks all, going to be good fun!

@Riceburner: I think the lack of tailgunner may be because...they are soon to be in-laws :p I had heard that but to their credit they did park it and wait for me on multiple occasions when I hit a red light :)

- getting into first from neutral at lights/ stops... I wouldn't say 'cheat' the red/ stop by engaging early but definitely get the clutch into that sweet spot where it wants to go all the way. I found this was the best way to keep my confidence up for engaging first - this way I wasn't 'rushed' to get into first... I was already there just had to roll on the throttle and gently let out the clutch the last inch or two.

If I understand correctly you are going into neutral when stopped at lights (or elsewhere). You may be better off reducing speed to very slow, engaging first, then staying in first with the clutch in and your back brake on. You are always ready to move should you need to but the driver behind you is more likely to see you because of your brake light. (I'm on a CB500X: I've usually decelerated to below 10kmh before I go into first.)

I did my '30kms' in a church parking lot last year. Time well spent. Thanks for the post.

Congrats on getting your bike. A lot of new riders can definitely relate. I hope new/ potential rider , like you, take courses and read up on improving their riding skills. "Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code" "Total Control by Lee Parks" and join forums like gtamotorcycle with very helpful write ups ie "Why We Crash" a sticky tread in the Beginners area.

Thanks for sharing your story. cool reading it as i took my course last summer and looking to buy CBR500RA in the next week or so.

If I understand correctly you are going into neutral when stopped at lights (or elsewhere). You may be better off reducing speed to very slow, engaging first, then staying in first with the clutch in and your back brake on. You are always ready to move should you need to but the driver behind you is more likely to see you because of your brake light. (I'm on a CB500X: I've usually decelerated to below 10kmh before I go into first.)

I did my '30kms' in a church parking lot last year. Time well spent. Thanks for the post.
+1 on this. Good advice. Takes too much time to put the bike in gear if you need to escape a bad situation. An extra second could get you hit...

+1 on this. Good advice. Takes too much time to put the bike in gear if you need to escape a bad situation. An extra second could get you hit...

Thanks guys, will definitely remember and I know the M1x said the same thing... guess it was a bad habit I picked up late in the trip on Saturday because of my hand getting tired, lol

@Phinx: awesome man the Honda 500 has treated me well and I am sure you'll like it too... just keep in mind it sounds like a sewing machine

Back
Top Bottom