Garmin 60CSx - uploading GPX files | GTAMotorcycle.com

Garmin 60CSx - uploading GPX files

DemonPig

Do not cast your pearls before swine
Site Supporter
Does anyone own 60CSx? I was wondering if uploading routes is a chore. I'd be also working from an Apple computer if that is an issue.
I'm trying to acquire a GPS before Saturday so a bit short on time. I'd love to have something like Zumo 660 but it's damn pricey.
I found that Garmin for $100 just not sure how easy it is to use and therefore if it's worth the money and my time. Google search gave me a bit of conflicting info.

Would greatly appreciate advice.

Does anyone own 60CSx? I was wondering if uploading routes is a chore. I'd be also working from an Apple computer if that is an issue.
I'm trying to acquire a GPS before Saturday so a bit short on time. I'd love to have something like Zumo 660 but it's damn pricey.
I found that Garmin for $100 just not sure how easy it is to use and therefore if it's worth the money and my time. Google search gave me a bit of conflicting info.

Would greatly appreciate advice.

I usually load routes and tracks on to garmins via mapsource or basecamp -- and it is very easy... open up the gpx, with the gps connected to the computer via usb you hit 'send to device'. Done.

Basecamp is available for Mac, so you should be good to go.

The other worry, however, is if the GPS comes with any maps loaded.
If not, I have Canada Metro Guide and City Navigator, but I think they are both Windows installations. I could load the maps on to your GPS for you, but I don't know how that will work with your Mac edition of Basecamp.

Anyway... you don't need maps loaded on Basecamp simply to load a gpx to the gps unit, but you would if you want to create routes.

I might be able to help you figure out something that doesn't cost you anything... I would say jump at that $100 for the 60 deal, pick yourself up a ram mount for it asap, and I will help you figure out the rest.

Last edited:
Just to make sure you make an informed decision though...

1) the 60 is a good unit, but is dated. It should still work fine and has a power port that is superior to the micro usb charging method so you can hardwire it to your bike and the power source won't vibrate free -- something like this: $20 http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-bare-wire-power-and-data-cable.html

2) Ram mount stuff is not cheap... you would need the cradle: http://www.gpscity.ca/ram-mount-garmin-60csx-astro-cradle-ram-hol-ga12u.html ($10), a motorcycle bar mount and arm: $25 http://www.gpscity.ca/ram-mount-socket-zinc-motorcycle-mount-ram-b-149z-qu1u.html, and a diamond plate: $7 http://www.gpscity.ca/ram-mount-diamond-plate-with-1-inch-ball-rap-b-238u.html plus tax and shipping $7, so another $57 for the mount.

If you buy this gps and hardwire it you'll be looking at $80 for the power and mount plus $100 for the GPS. I can help you get free (illegal) maps loaded one way or another.

If you do place an order at gpscity... let me know before hand as I might get you to order something for me if you are willing and I'll pay you for it later.

I have:

* Ibycus Topo Map Canada V4 (very detailed TOPO Maps)
* Garmin Navigator (City Navigation with routing)
* OSM Maps (Open Source Navigation with routing)

So between Mike and I, you would have all the maps. I have the Garmin 62S, but I really wish I got the bigger screen.... but you know $$$$.

I certainly don't recommend using a normal auto GPS... I've had several fail from vibrations alone. The GPSMap products are substantially beefier it seems. Heck my 62S has survived the KTM!!! I wish I could say the same for my luggage.

Thanks guys! Mike - I am ordering through Amazon to make sure I have it by Friday so I can test the unit.
If they have anything you need lmk. I have to order within next 5h. PM or text me on the cell.

Make sure you have a larger MicroSD card to store all the uber maps we have... hehheh

It's a good gps unit, I have one and it does fine for what you want. No Bluetooth or voice etc. and a little small for a screen but it depends what you want. I believe I have a garmin topo Canada map file you can upload if I can find it.

It will run all day on a pair of double a batteries. If you want it illuminated all the time you will need to power it off the bike. I flip mine from bike to bike and car. They are pretty bulletproof.

http://www.asiteaboutnothing.net/g_60csx.html

I have the 62S. Great unit for hiking, but it's far from good for vehicle navigation. I forget to make turns all the time without headphones. Pretty hard to see. Did you see one in person?

I know it's tiny. However, the price seems right. I don't mind using headphones too much either. Worse come to worse I'll have a hiking/cycling GPS if I really hate it for the bike. The ones I really like - Zumo 660 and the Montana, are way too much for my pocket and couldn't find any used ones for under 400 bucks either.

I found a 2GB micro SD sitting in my old phone. I'll hit you guys for the maps soon.

Last edited:
It does NOT a have headphone jack. In my opinion you are way better off using your phone with offline routable maps than any 6x series garmin.

I know it's tiny. However, the price seems right. I don't mind using headphones too much either. Worse come to worse I'll have a hiking/cycling GPS if I really hate it for the bike. The ones I really like - Zumo 660 and the Montana, are way too much for my pocket and couldn't find any used ones for under 400 bucks either.

I found a 2GB micro SD sitting in my old phone. I'll hit you guys for the maps soon.

I don't think you can use headphones with the 60csx, but it will beep and show the turn in greater detail along with a red banner across the top of the screen with directions. I have no problem hearing it at speed in a full face with earplugs.

I barely ever use my Garmin for routing anyway, so the turn by turn stuff isn't important to me.

I like to convert routes I get from elsewhere to tracks, make them visible on screen and just kind of follow them. What I do is set the track I want to follow as red, and set the track I make to black and say to myself "I see a red track and I want it painted black". That will help you find the entrance into the bush, and you don't really need the GPS when you are in the bush unless you come to a crossroads and need to figure out which way to go. The other main use for my garmin is recording the track so later I can track back or I can share the route with others.

I do not use my cellphone on my dirtbike as even the tough Garmin's get rattled to pieces and I haven't found a cellphone holder yet that holds on to a phone tight enough for offroad use (X-grips certainly don't, as I found out last weekend).

I occasionally use my phone or 8" tablet on my vstrom, but even then there are upsides and downsides to it.

The upsides to using my tablet on the bike are I have a huge view of the map in locus pro, so I can see which roads don't continue, I can load terrain maps to see which route might have better scenery, and I can plug in headphones to listen to music from the tablet.

The downsides (to me) to using my tablet is that the x-grip is not secure enough and I've had the tablet bounce out a few times. The tablet is not waterproof so I need to cover it. The screen doesn't work well with gloves, and products like anyglove or thumbdogs don't work well, so every time I want to pan the map over I need to remove a glove. The glare is terrible -- much worse than the Garmin, so trying to see the tablet in bright light sucks. Finally... longevity... I don't know how long my tablet will last due to the vibrations from the road and the sun beating down on it. My Garmin Oregon 450 is falling to pieces after 40000km over two seasons, and it is tough and waterproof.

speaking of which, did you get the 4GB card yet, and did you try my file?

It's old school but works just fine. With the Ram mount, the screen is close to my face so small screen doesn't bother me. For now I used some free map I found online cause it's much smaller.

Couldn't find 4GB micro SD anywhere, I'll try 8. They are all HC, 4 and up, maybe it'll work. If not, I'll get one on ebay.

Couldn't get the route Mike sent me to work for some reason but I haven't spent much time trying either

Back
Top Bottom