Replacement for Garmin 2720? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Replacement for Garmin 2720?

matthew

Site Supporter
My trusted workhorse GPS, a Garmin 2720, has recently started to experience screen problems. It constantly requires calibration. I found a replacement screen on eBay for $35.

Before I order it and spend a few bucks, is there anything on the market for $200 or less (new or used) that is a worthy replacement of the mighty 2720?

I know that anyone on this forum who owns a 2720. will not part with it and for good reason but I'm open to suggestions for another unit.

Thanks

hey, no you wont find anything as good now days for a cheap price. Those units are popular because they work well, especially with the base topo maps, and have a good battery life when not powered

I have always ran Auto GPS units on the bike, But after a while the vibration seems to play havoc with the power port. I have bene looking at Zumo units but they are still so damn expensive. I might in the coming weeks just bite the bullet and go with the Zumo660 I see Radioworld has about the cheapest price at $550. But it will also be nice to finally hear the directions via my communications headset...lol

Just to put my .02 in, I've been looking for a cheap alternative to a standalone GPS for awhile because I'm a cheap **** and I already own an iPhone 6 in a waterproof case. I downloaded CoPilot which is free to try for 7 days, then it's something like $12 for unlimited 3D and turn by turn routing. That and a Ram x-grip on the bike. Bit of a pain to load routes in, but meh.

Buy another 2720, or fix yours. Have yet to find another GPS that works as well at a reasonable price. Even the Zumo 660 has some important shortfalls to the 2720. The new Zumo 590 looks amazing, but is also $1000...

It's been a couple years since I seriously tried smartphone GPS options, but none had the more advanced options of the 2720 that I need. Hopefully, they've caught up by now. I keep on meaning to buy a cheap Android phone to try out some GPS options and see if they're any good. The screen on my 2720 is on it's way out as well, but for other reasons than yours, so I'm also looking at options.

I bought Lumia 920 two years ago for two reasons only, its awesome offline map and its decent camera. GPS and map both work online and offline so when I got lost in the middle of nowhere without reception I was still able to find gas station and my way home.

But I rarely used GPS since I like to just memorize the route and only use the map to locate my position if I get lost.

Pretty much any android phone can provide substantial mapping capability now. Osmand+ or Locus Pro ;)

My trusted workhorse GPS, a Garmin 2720, has recently started to experience screen problems. It constantly requires calibration. I found a replacement screen on eBay for $35.

Before I order it and spend a few bucks, is there anything on the market for $200 or less (new or used) that is a worthy replacement of the mighty 2720?

I know that anyone on this forum who owns a 2720. will not part with it and for good reason but I'm open to suggestions for another unit.

Thanks

you found a new screen for $35!! I'm going to buy it.

I LOVE THAT 2720! best GPS for my bike ever (even thought its like a brick)

Buy another 2720, or fix yours. Have yet to find another GPS that works as well at a reasonable price. Even the Zumo 660 has some important shortfalls to the 2720. The new Zumo 590 looks amazing, but is also $1000...

It's been a couple years since I seriously tried smartphone GPS options, but none had the more advanced options of the 2720 that I need. Hopefully, they've caught up by now. I keep on meaning to buy a cheap Android phone to try out some GPS options and see if they're any good. The screen on my 2720 is on it's way out as well, but for other reasons than yours, so I'm also looking at options.

Hey, I've been running GPS systems in my car for years, back when the affordable ones were the eTrex series, and the car ones really didnt exist as we know them now. Ive gone through several different models over the years and currently have a Z660. Its got it faults, but does have some pluses too. Ive also spend the past 6 months trialing Smartphone options as well. The problem with smartphone GPS is the software varies a lot. I Mainly use my GPS not for actual routing, but more for showing me the upcoming corners and side streets etc. So I use Plan View a lot. Theres a thread here somewhere on Smarphone GPS. Pretty much the Garmin devices win because they can load .gpx files easily. I use some software called "Tyre" see tyretotravel.com and thats pretty sweet. I make the maps and export to my garmin. There are only one or two Android apps that will import gpx files.
The best software I have used is HERE maps, followed by OSMAnd and Sygic

Here are the top 5 in my Opinion

1. HERE Maps (free!)
2. OSMAnd (free)
3. Sygic $$
4.CoPilot $$

Also, if planning on using on a motorcycle you need to take in account mounting options, power, and of course ease of use. Some smart phone screens are glove friendly, others are not. Some have tiny buttons that are hard to use, let alone use when you have gloves.

My 2720 rocks. Fix yours. Unless you need to play songs on your GPS....LOL

I bought Lumia 920 two years ago for two reasons only, its awesome offline map and its decent camera. GPS and map both work online and offline so when I got lost in the middle of nowhere without reception I was still able to find gas station and my way home.

But I rarely used GPS since I like to just memorize the route and only use the map to locate my position if I get lost.

Is that "Here maps" that you're using?

Edit: Sorry, read further in the thread. Everyone seems to be saying Here.

Last edited:
Little bit of a thread hijack-- I bought a mount and installed my old Magellan gps on my bike. Riding to work the other morning, I noticed about a 10 km discrepancy, the gps being lower. Had another bike pace me tonight, and my speedo matched his. Anyone know why the gps would be so out of whack?

Little bit of a thread hijack-- I bought a mount and installed my old Magellan gps on my bike. Riding to work the other morning, I noticed about a 10 km discrepancy, the gps being lower. Had another bike pace me tonight, and my speedo matched his. Anyone know why the gps would be so out of whack?
It isn't.

On a similar note, you can download an app like SpeedView and check how off the speedo of any vehicle. My FZ6 reads off around %15.

Thanks guys. I will d/l the app, and trust the gps.
Update: Downloaded "Driving Forces" for Windows phone. Will test it out and report back on ride home.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom