Battery died with lights on overnight | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Battery died with lights on overnight

I got Doug's motomaster charger, put it on the "smart" setting 2-12A overnight. It started going at about 6.8A with a charge of 12.4V if I recall. This morning it was running at 0.6A and read "Full" with a charge of 14.6V. I disconnected it and took the GO train. See if the battery is ok when I get home tonight. I have no idea what battery I have. Probably the type you get when you say "I need the cheapest one you got for my bike". No idea what that is. Doug seemed pretty optimistic that his would work, I'm reserving judgement until tonight, but that may be whether I have a live battery or not. I think if you go low amp <1 it just takes longer than if you do 2.x. The "smart" charger seems to vary amperage to meet the batteries pull.

I got Doug's motomaster charger, put it on the "smart" setting 2-12A overnight. It started going at about 6.8A
Yikes. What happened to getting a battery tender or trickle charger? lol. Hopefully the battery is OK, lucky it didn't split.

2 amps is too high for most powersports batteries, they overheat and get damaged internally. Go buy a motorcycle specific battery charger with desulfating ability like an Optimate 4, which is probably one of the best chargers available. CT chargers are junk.

Doug's motomaster worked. I got home and bike still started without a blink. Battery ok, rode 1 hour to work, fingers crossed it's still charged when I need to leave. Thanks Doug, I'll try to bring back tomorrow, I had to carry 2 laptops and a big lunch and an extra change of clothes today.

eljay - if you haven't already got one, Canadian Tire has the "Eliminator" charger/maintainer (2,8,12 amp) on sale right now. Reg. $90 - now $58

Back
Top Bottom