Battery died with lights on overnight | GTAMotorcycle.com

Battery died with lights on overnight

eljay

So apparently my bike can have the lights left on. It's a daily rider and the battery is only a few months old.

Totally dead to rights this morning, didn't have time to mess around and took the car to work.

Do I:
1. Jump it off the car (I know not to start the car) for a while and go for a highway ride?
2. Get a charger or tender (like this one? http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...ttery-charger-with-0111505p.html#.VVIBUPldUfQ) and will this work overnight and what is difference between charger and tender?
3. Get a new battery?

Well you might not need a new battery, just yet, if you can get this one back up and running and if it will hold a charge, you might be OK

Get one of these instead - http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/noco-genius-g1100-smart-battery-charger-0111926p.html#.VVIJwOGunAE

you can use it over the winter to keep the battery charged and maintained, and it should get you charged back up overnight

this is the ones I have - http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-158-12-Volt-Battery-Charger/dp/B000FQBWCY

If you were close by I would lend you mine

Last edited:
#1 could work, but it's not ideal as it in theory could cook your stator/rectifier
#2 is ideal. Tenders are set and forget, a trickle charger will just slowly charge the battery continuously (won't boil your battery but will shorten the life of it if you leave it on)
#3 there's still hope for the battery you have.

Crappy Tire / other parts places may charge a good battery for free, just ask them to use the lowest setting on their charger. Or you could buy a 12V charger that lets you change the charging rate that you could use for both your car and your bike.

Cool thanks. Work is right by a CT so I'll grab one at lunch, unless further arguments come in before then.

If it was my bike, I'd put the battery on a charger/tender for a few hours. My second choice would be to boost it from another battery (your car) and run the bike for an hour or two and let the bike's alternator charge the battery. Motorcycle alternators are happier topping up a battery, rather than taking a totally flat one, to a full charge - once in a while, shouldn't hurt. You shouldn't need a new battery, unless the current one is old and you've killed it. Lead/acid batteries don't do well with being run flat too many times.
The main difference between a battery charger and a battery maintainer is, you don't have to babysit the battery, if you use a maintainer - it will shut down and go into "float mode" once it's charged the battery. A decent sized battery charger (anything more than a couple of amps) will charge a bike battery pretty quickly and if you're not keeping an eye on it, it will cook it.

Just noticed you're in Oshawa. I've got a maintainer you can borrow. In the Rossland/Thornton area.

Last edited:
Appreciate the offers guys, I'm going to buy one. It's about time I owned one. If I did, I could have started charging already this morning... hopefully she'd good by tomorrow morning.

eljay - One of the tender/maintainers I use is a MotoMaster "Eliminator" - it's a 2/8/12 amp unit. the CTC model number is 011-1518-8. I've had it for 3 years and it works well on smaller batteries (works fine on large ones, too - just takes a bit longer). Regular price for this unit is $89 - they go on sale quite often - I paid just under $50 when I got mine. I certainly wouldn't try to talk you out of getting one - they're very handy to have around - but, you're still welcome to borrow mine, to get yourself back on the road - and get yourself one when they go on sale.

I also have a tender that you could borrow if you would like. I am in the townline and Adelaide area

wait for sale is good idea. pm'd.
gixxerfan you're next if he doesn't reply

eljay - One of the tender/maintainers I use is a MotoMaster "Eliminator" - it's a 2/8/12 amp unit. the CTC model number is 011-1518-8. I've had it for 3 years and it works well on smaller batteries (works fine on large ones, too - just takes a bit longer). Regular price for this unit is $89 - they go on sale quite often - I paid just under $50 when I got mine. I certainly wouldn't try to talk you out of getting one - they're very handy to have around - but, you're still welcome to borrow mine, to get yourself back on the road - and get yourself one when they go on sale.

wait for sale is good idea. pm'd.
gixxerfan you're next if he doesn't reply

Cry-Baby-Moms-Grilled-Cheese-Truck.jpg

;)

This one is not so good, charging amperage is too low.....need at least 2.xx something or another

Not for motorcycle batteries... specified charging rate for a Gladius battery is around 1 amp. I would link to the Yuasa spec's on the battery but they are using an unlinkable old-school PHP form

Not for motorcycle batteries... specified charging rate for a Gladius battery is around 1 amp. I would link to the Yuasa spec's on the battery but they are using an unlinkable old-school PHP form
Could be...

My Yuassa needs 2.x, as does my cheap Walmart

then OP should look at the specs for his battery and get the one that is right for his needs

edit

yuasa needs 1.2A for 5-10 hrs

lousy IPad and it's auto correct.....

Last edited:
2A is the max charging rate not the required a .8A charger is perfect for a motorcycle battery.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Could be...

My Yuassa needs 2.x, as does my cheap Walmart

then OP should look at the specs for his battery and get the one that is right for his needs

edit

yuasa needs 1.2A for 5-10 hrs

lousy IPad and it's auto correct.....

Charging rate is dependant on the battery capacity/cell size, not the brand.
Your picture shows a 14AH battery. Optimum charge would be 10% of capacity for 10 hrs or 1.4 amp for 10hrs. (AH means Amp/Hour, meaning this battery will put out 14 amps for an hour or 2 amps for 7 hours or 56 amps for 15 minutes).
If you had a 20AH battery, optimum charge is 2 amp for 10 hrs.
Over charging a battery will reduce it's capacity, under charging just wastes time.

Back
Top Bottom