Air Canada | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Air Canada

No options for Asia or Austrailia and will only service locations posted in the link above :(

Latest proposals.

Hi

We have been making changes to the list of destinations as we go due to customs requirements in different countries. Below is the, tentative, list going forward. There will be some changes to the rates on the return trips as well due to the fluctuating euro. See the below and when you decide where you want to go, I will then provide you with the corresponding rates.

I requested adding Iceland and Australia.

I think Edinburgh is excellent...then ride Europe and return from Germany.

Latest proposals.

I requested adding Iceland and Australia.

I think Edinburgh is excellent...then ride Europe and return from Germany.

Wow...they removed most of the list. Munich/Zurich were possibles for me but looks like that is no longer possible :(

Serious run around....but bikes are on their way. $750 each all in with A/C. $100 total for the Dangerous Goods certificate.

When I catch my breath I'll lay out the procedures.

The real headache is you have to get the bikes weighed accurately at the time the Dangerous Goods inspection is done which is not at Air Canada.

Then when it gets to Air Canada the weight has to be pretty close.

I was total to estimate the weight and they'd correct when I got there....not the case.

Has to be close to what is written on the Dangerous Goods sheets and that also applies to dimensions as well.

Fortunately I was close enough on my guess that by taking the top case off ( I'll just carry it as checked luggage ) it got within the limits,
Kids bike was within 5 KG of my guess.
The poor old Vstrom has a heavy load and that ain't just me.

So arrived happily at 8.30 pm and straggled out at 10.
Bikes will fly out tomorrow morning.
I'll have to wrangle checked luggage as I really do not want to check my helmet. Too much risk if they lose it I can't ride.

Just got off the phone with AC Cargo. Well I don't know why it's pricier than what others have told me. They want 1400 to ship the GSX1250 to Halifax. Too rich for my blood.

Just got off the phone with AC Cargo. Well I don't know why it's pricier than what others have told me. They want 1400 to ship the GSX1250 to Halifax. Too rich for my blood.

was that one way or 2 way?

Y'know. . .I actually didn't specifically say it was round trip. I just said I needed a quote on shipping a motorcycle from Toronto to Halifax. They asked questions about the bike, I answered, and "Sir you're looking at around 1400 bucks."

I guess I just assumed that if it's cargo, that one-way would be the norm unless specified? Assumptions get people in trouble.. .

Mac: Did you get your bike all right in BC? What was the total end cost of shipping the bikes? Was this for the Strom or the Burg or both or another bike?..Tom

Yup - was ready for us when we arrived on Saturday morning.

2km cab ride to the Air Cargo

Bikes were on pallets and took 15 minutes to get ready ....we were in Cache Creek the same evening....

Figure $1500 all in for the two bikes Vstrom 650 and kid's FX-08 ($750 each )

Y'know. . .I actually didn't specifically say it was round trip. I just said I needed a quote on shipping a motorcycle from Toronto to Halifax. They asked questions about the bike, I answered, and "Sir you're looking at around 1400 bucks."

I guess I just assumed that if it's cargo, that one-way would be the norm unless specified? Assumptions get people in trouble.. .

Their special is just between certain cities, and Halifax isn't one of them. I believe Montreal, Pearson, Calgary, and Vancouver are the primary sale locations.

One of the requirements for the sale is the availability of a wide-body jet. For instance, there is only one daily between Pearson and Calgary, and that flies at 09:00. There are lots more options between Pearson and Vancouver fortunately.

Regular price for YYZ-YYC is around $1400-$1600 I think. So this is a really good deal.

The real headache is you have to get the bikes weighed accurately at the time the Dangerous Goods inspection is done which is not at Air Canada.

You don't actually need to get your bike weighed. The DG consultant can leave that blank, and AC will weigh it themselves.

Fortunately, AC Cargo is very flexible. Through a miscommunication, the DG consultant put the wrong destination city and destination contact address on my paperwork. AC Cargo looked at it, raised a flag, then determined that it isn't a big deal. 5 minutes of panic while they consulted their "what we can change on the fly" manual, and I was good to go.

I'd say the procedure couldn't be easier, though I could have done without the intense inspection the bike, all the boxes and bags were given before they'd accept it, looking for compressed gas containers (including shaving cream).

Is there a specific website or online contact for pricing? Not doing anything this year, but always like to get numbers and prices for the future. I have been wanting to go back to Ireland after I spent a weekend there when I was backpacking Europe in '01. Would be amazing to go by bike and hit Scotland, Wales and England as well before shipping home again.

Is there a specific website or online contact for pricing? Not doing anything this year, but always like to get numbers and prices for the future. I have been wanting to go back to Ireland after I spent a weekend there when I was backpacking Europe in '01. Would be amazing to go by bike and hit Scotland, Wales and England as well before shipping home again.

Really just http://www.aircanada.com/cargo/en/

yyzff.acconnect@aircanada.ca

YYZ dropoff details:
Air Canada Cargo - YYZ
2580 Britannia Road East
Mississauga, On
L4T 3B5

1-800-387-4865

No guarantees that this program will continue into 2016, just depends on how popular it is. However, it does sound like a lot of people are making use of it.

Is there only one place to get the certificate ?

You're talking about the dangerous goods document?

Any Dangerous Goods Consultant would do. I don't know of any others; never bothered to search for another one.

A/C wants a weight up front when you call - educated guess - I think to balance the plane...he told me just to guess....I did, told that to the DG guy who put it down and was out enough on one bike I had to remove the top case and check it.
A/C and Air Cargo are not 100% in sync on this.

I used a different DG and got certificates for both bikes for $100 total ( $50 each )

So I guess the take away is don't get them weighed at DG as once it's weighed Air Cargo cannot deviate from that by very much.

It's still not a very smooth program ....I also discovered a place that will ship the bikes by truck to Abbotsford BC for $500 and you can fly into the airport there. So AC is not the only game . ( friends are heading there Monday to drop their bikes off. )

For those of us with two bikes thats okay ....solo machine you'll be without it for a week.

•••• from earlier

Dangerous Goods Packaging and Shipping Services

205 Matheson Blvd East Unit # 10 Mississauga (Ontario) L4Z1X8
Telephone: (905) 890-7066
Fax: (905) 890-7997 // Contact :
info@dangerousgoods.ca
D.G Consulting and Packaging

Called these guys and I suggest you start with them

DGControl Software
975 Midway Blvd. Unit #10
Mississauga, Ontario
Canada L5T 2C6

Tel: 905-564-2453
Fax: 905-564-4823

Sales: sales@dgcontrol.com
Talk to Jon

jon@dgcontrol.com

$97.50 for the certificates..

You drive the bikes in for a short inspection.
There was no appointment needed.

They need your home address
destination address ( City is fine )
Weight of bikes...basically similar to what AC needs for booking. Going over once traffic dies down. Kid is going once his passport is sorted.( sigh )

Last edited:
Thx for this. We ended up with some econo fair on Westjet for 208$ so I decided to go with TFX for 940$. They picked up from home and are delivering to the hotel on a set date so there's some extra convenience there as we head out that day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom