Air Canada | GTAMotorcycle.com

Air Canada

spankyaf

Has anyone used AC to ship their bike this year?

Just curious how you found the service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thx looks like they leave off the Dangerous Goods fees which is typical AC. I have contacted AC Cargo and was impressed with the rep I dealt with but no mention of fees above those advertised

Seems it will be $900 all in to Vancouver for us next month.

Might be worth it as it's about 500 to freight it down there. This way your bike flys with you and you get it after 4 hours of landing. I'm planning a Toronto to Vancouver this summer and seriously thinking about it.

one way

It's 4300 km via slab according to google map. That's 860 km a day riding and long riding days at that.

$400 in motels
$250-300 in food
Figure $600 in fuel

so roughly $1300 out of pocket not to mention tire wear etc and at least 3 more like 4 very boring slab days plus nice once we hit the moutains. Reality more likely it would take 5 days to reach Vancouver by bike at a civilized pace and kids FZ-08 only gets about 180 km per tank.

Flying
$500 for the two tickets and paid on credit card points.
$1800 for the two bikes. ( hoping I can do that on points as well )
Cost us $1000 - $500 each to save 4-5 days and kid only gets limited holidays.
Now hotels I can get on points as well. But really $100 a day extra to save the slabbing....we both jumped at it.

The kicker was it cost the same to do Vancouver as Calagary...
Coming back will be with the prevailing winds so that's a factor as well across the prairies...fighting wind is tiring and cost gas.
With the wind??.....fire up the tunes and cruise :D

Now just need to sacrifice to the weather gods for the mountain weather.
Head north if cold, head east and south if warm.
Given the record heat during the winter....we are figuring north and east to Jasper then south.

Last edited:
Seems it will be $900 all in to Vancouver for us next month.

I don't get how people see this as an affordable option? You could buy a bike out there and sell it again and likely lose less money than that. Not to mention tickets to Vancouver are already often more expensive than flying to Europe (although there have been some good sales lately).

I don't get how people see this as an affordable option? You could buy a bike out there and sell it again and likely lose less money than that. Not to mention tickets to Vancouver are already often more expensive than flying to Europe (although there have been some good sales lately).
And then find insurance, register the bike, try and sell the bike.... Not worth it.

One way tickets to Vancouver are $260 and for me paid on CC points.

BC HST on a bike will be $1000 alone for a $6k bike and no guarantee I could sell it with 15,000 km more on it than when I bought it.

Add in the $2400 in farkles that are on mine

Then you'd want me to tour on an unknown bike for 24 days...and waste my time finding one, then certifying it, selling it ....i don't think so.:rolleyes:

Consider shipping the bike day before. It reduces the stress on the traveling day.
More importantly, when we shipped bikes to Munich last year they did not make it on the airplane.
Apparently there was no room. After chasing the bikes for hours we realized they were not loaded in the first place.
All that is easily avoided if the bikes are shipped in advance. There might be a small storage charge involved...
Our bikes arrived the next day...

This thread helped us make up our minds on shipping the bikes with AC. For the last three years my wife and I have taken three weeks each summer and slabbed our VFR 1200's from Toronto across Canada to the west coast and through the western U.S. This year we'll ship and ride them back to Toronto. MacDoc please post how it worked out for you.

Sent from my cerebellum using Tapatalk

BC HST on a bike will be $1000 alone for a $6k bike and no guarantee I could sell it with 15,000 km more on it than when I bought it.

Then you'd want me to tour on an unknown bike for 24 days...and waste my time finding one, then certifying it, selling it ....i don't think so.:rolleyes:

Totally agree .... It's a great keyboard solution for those who aren't actually doing it

Will do ...I'm kinda excited about the potential - hoping there is an option for Iceland and it even makes some sense to Newfoundland if the price is right.

For instance in Iceland - it was $600 to rent a car.
Saw another thread tho that makes sense. FLy bike to Scotland - tour it and the Isle of Man and then take the ferry to Iceland and then fly the bike home.

Airlines looking for more income should get with it.

Last edited:
I have a booking for the bikes now.

We drop them off June 4th ( couple days ahead ) at
YYZBIKE
MOTORBIKE YYZ
Address: 2580 BRITANNIA ROAD EAST
MISSISSAUGA CA ON
L4W 2P7
Phone: 1-800-387-4865
This is open 24 hours.

If the price he quoted me today holds then I'm happy - $1400 all in for two bikes to Vancouver and he indicated to me that included the dangerous good fee. Not sure if that is tax in or not.

The process is not transparent as there is a jargon involved.
I had to call and get where to pick up the bikes at Vancouver Airport ( couple KM away so will have to taxi it )
If the bikes are on the same plane there is a couple of hours delay.
If you send a day or two ahead then they will be ready immediately.

What I can't sort yet is the Dangerous Goods inspection.
I don't know if it happens at Air Cargo or where....:confused:

And then find insurance, register the bike, try and sell the bike.... Not worth it.
Fair enough.

Is it Air Canada Cargo that ships it? I cringe whenever I need to deal with them for work. It's not uncommon for us to spend over half the day trying to pick something up from them. Assuming we even know they have something for us since notifying a recipient that they have something to be picked up is not actually something they do.

Dangerous Goods Certificate

after leaving several messages and emails to these guys recommended by AIr Canada and not getting a response beyond the initial request which was not informative....simply said to call which I did over several days

Dangerous Goods Packaging and Shipping Services

205 Matheson Blvd East Unit # 10 Mississauga (Ontario) L4Z1X8
Telephone: (905) 890-7066
Fax: (905) 890-7997 // Contact :
info@dangerousgoods.ca
D.G Consulting and Packaging

Called these guys :D and I suggest you start with them

DGControl Software
975 Midway Blvd. Unit #10
Mississauga, Ontario
Canada L5T 2C6

Tel: 905-564-2453
Fax: 905-564-4823

Sales: sales@dgcontrol.com
Talk to Jon

jon@dgcontrol.com

$97.50 for the certificates..

You drive the bikes in for a short inspection.
There was no appointment needed.

They need your home address
destination address ( City is fine )
Weight of bikes...basically similar to what AC needs for booking. Going over once traffic dies down. Kid is going once his passport is sorted.( sigh )

Piece of cake....10 minutes and done..$100 or so total for the pair of bikes...not each. :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom