Weird noise from stator cover | GTAMotorcycle.com

Weird noise from stator cover

Kramminn

Last week I changed my stator, the old one was burnt out- about 3-4 coils were gone.

I put it all back together on Friday and noticed that after there was this weird sound coming from the cover.

If i put my hand against the cover i do feel some kind of vibration. heres a link to the video.

Does any one have an idea what this could be from?

I hand tightened the screws when I put it back( plus a little more), I used a brand new gasket on the cover.
I removed the starter motor too, put it back the way I took it out( no washer missing)- I checked with the suzuki dealer too if the teeth have to go back a certain way and they said no just slide it back on.

Can someone help me diagnose this sound and suggest a fix for it?
I know I am going to have to pull it all off again, just want to know what my issues can be.

Thanks in advance

Hey.
I'm just a DIY guy not a mechanic but I replaced my stator on my gsxr750 last year.
It sounds like you may have the wrong stator (which happened to me) or you tightened the cover down too tight. One other thing you could check is some debris or something in there that has not been filtered out as it is a very snug fit for the stator to function properly. Check the torque settings for the stator cover, that would be my first guess.

It's probably not the cover. It's probably under the cover. You shouldn't be krammin stuff in there.

Hey.
I'm just a DIY guy not a mechanic but I replaced my stator on my gsxr750 last year.
It sounds like you may have the wrong stator (which happened to me) or you tightened the cover down too tight. One other thing you could check is some debris or something in there that has not been filtered out as it is a very snug fit for the stator to function properly. Check the torque settings for the stator cover, that would be my first guess.

I didnt have a torque wrench so I probably over tightened it.

As for the stator, I hope its the right one! It is a rebuilt one. The whole and everything lined up just fine.

its suppose to be 7-8lbs ft tourqe correct?

You can't over torque that cover to cause that , if you over torque is - you will strip the thread . It's a little m5 thread in alumimium.

I bet you it's the fly wheel rubbing against the stator, be careful it's probable put a bunch of shavings in your oil. If you aren't careful - metal in motor bearings is bad.

Have someone who knows what they are doing look at it.

You can't over torque that cover to cause that , if you over torque is - you will strip the thread . It's a little m5 thread in alumimium.

I bet you it's the fly wheel rubbing against the stator, be careful it's probable put a bunch of shavings in your oil. If you aren't careful - metal in motor bearings is bad.

Have someone who knows what they are doing look at it.

Meaning you?

Have you opened up the stator cover since?
Is it possible there's some debris inside that is being bounced around by the magnetic field?
All the bolts are snug (torque wise) but did you put them all back where you took them out? I can't recall but I think some of them are different lengths, perhaps you tightened it but the bolt isn't actually all the way in?

Is it in backwards? It will click

not to my knowledge. Installed it so it was flush.

Have you opened up the stator cover since?
Is it possible there's some debris inside that is being bounced around by the magnetic field?
All the bolts are snug (torque wise) but did you put them all back where you took them out? I can't recall but I think some of them are different lengths, perhaps you tightened it but the bolt isn't actually all the way in?

No not yet, It only really came to my attention last night. I will be opening it back up tonight. Before I put everything back together I cleaned everything out. I didnt see anything in there that shouldn't be but will look again.

I did put it back together like I look it off, as for the bolts I did not put them back to exactly where they were they all looked the same length but will check again. I did tighten them pretty tight so Im hoping maybe its that. I just dont get how that would be a issue.

Well if you have a bolt that's too long it can be tightened but it ain't actually pressing against the cover so you will get a loose spot that can rattle

Well if you have a bolt that's too long it can be tightened but it ain't actually pressing against the cover so you will get a loose spot that can rattle

Alright... UPDATE:

I took it all apart again to see what was going on. First thing I noticed was there was oil in the cover, is this normal? Second, 6 of the coils are black!(see image) I inspected them to see if any of them looked corroded or burnt and it doesn't look like it, so I suspecting that black because of the oil- Can someone confirm if this is normal, and if not why is there oil in there? Now... the vibration and racket I confirmed that the three bolts holding down the stator were loose, which I have no clue how that happened because like I said before I made sure that those were tight.

I removed the bolts to check the sizing and they were all the same length(assuming they are all OEM and the previous owner didn't just use whatever he had laying around), I put some thread lock on every single bolt and screw when I reassembled it. The bike started just fine, no vibration. I did reuse the gasket temporary just to see how the bike start and sounded. I was expecting some leakage from the cover due the re used gasket, so ill be getting one from the dealer tomorrow and installing that.

Question:

If its not normal that the stator is black like in the image, and its not from the oil. Is it possible the poor rectifier could be causing my stator to burn out?

From what I am reading in other sites its normally for oil to be there. But does the look of the stator look normal?

Do you just need an oil change? My stator did not look like that when I changed it. It is normal for oil to be in there.

Yeah I'm coming up to a oil change soon. It's suppose to be a at 34k.

That stator is black because the windings have overheated. It may still work, it may not but its only normal in the respect of a stator that is going to fail. Check your stator ac output and regulator/rectifier diodes and for signs of damage/swelling. Also the bolts that hold the stator and metal clips to the cover need locktite.

Back
Top Bottom