ductless air conditioner | GTAMotorcycle.com

ductless air conditioner

mbroyda

Does anyone have have one of these in their home?? how do you like them? how efficient are they? anything I should know before getting one?

I have a 1940's bungalow with hot water radiant heating so no ducts, and I really don't want to spend $20k on a high velocity type system.

Thanks

Max

I can't answer your question as I'm not a home owner until end of today actually (closing on my first home today)

But what I can chime on is,

Don't get high velocity.

The townhouse I'm renting from at the moment, the furnace broke last winter. My landlord got quotes from 3 different companies and they all say that it's a system that's very prone to breaking and expensive to fix.

I did some research online and it seems that these new tiny stack townhouse developments have used a lot of high velocity systems and weren't installed properly.
So it may be ok if installation is done properly, who knows.

congrats on your first home

high velocity systems are pretty good when you get the right ones, unfortunately they also cost a lot (roughly $20K), the cheap stuff that builders use are prone to problems, the other part of the problem are installers who are not always qualified to install these systems.

back to the topic, ductless systems.......who has one??

I have a couple at work they work well and are quiet. I bought mine on eBay

sent from a device using a program

Tyty. I'm now a proud slave to mortgage. Hopefully my riding time won't be reduced much from the work I planned

My cousin had one installed last year in his unit (3-plex) and frankly he couldn't be happier. Quiet, and blows so cold that they don't keep it on too often because it cools off the entire unit (approx. 800-900sqft) in no time.

In Europe these are everywhere and I've only heard good things about them. Might put one in my unit depending on what I can get quoted.

Bought my self a portable AC with a dryer duct looking thing a few year ago used of kijijij. Works like a charm in closed spaces.

Had one of these to cool an addition on a century home with no ducts. Parents still have one for a sun-room. Worked well, quiet, heat and cool, and some models are meant to be able to hook up multiple head units. Range of sizes.

http://www.fujitsugeneral.com/hfi_feat_sm.htm LG, Mitsubishi, and other make similar. There's a few running in the elevators at the CN tower without issue that I know of.

I've got the Mitsubishi Mr.Slim. Works great.Probably the most expensive but like they say,you get what you pay for.The Mitsubishi is commonly used to cool server rooms where breaking down is not an option.

Mini-splits work real well. Just make sure you have it as high on the wall/of the room as possible as anything above will not really yield the benefits.
Often used in RV's and "little houses".

I have this too. Haven't used it for cold yet but it got our addition freeking hot in like 5 minutes in the winter. WAAAAAAY cheaper than the old electric baseboard heaters that were in there.

I don't like that it's not very programmable. You can set an on/off time and a temperature and that is it. It is pretty smart for aiming for cold spots though.

I've got the Mitsubishi Mr.Slim. Works great.Probably the most expensive but like they say,you get what you pay for.The Mitsubishi is commonly used to cool server rooms where breaking down is not an option.

thanks for the feed back guys.

are any of these units compatible with a Nest type thermostat? or are they all remote controlled?

Back
Top Bottom