When a seller says "let me be honest with you" | GTAMotorcycle.com

When a seller says "let me be honest with you"

To be honest......everything I say prior to that wasn't honest.

I hear that occasionally, and I feel like replying with "no, please, lie to me".
But it gets annoying when someone says it every_freakin_time!

Kinda like looking for a good mechanic. Why would you ever look for a bad one?

I'm lying to you now.

Long story short.

Everything out of his mouth is a lie. Even after he said" to tell you the truth."

Ok, I think this has been sorted out. Here's the one that gets me. When somebody takes me into their confidence and describes best methods to manipulate others. Respect and trust are gone at that point.

The best deals I have ever had on used vehicles have been from people who were utterly clueless about the selling process, kept their mouths shut unless I asked a question while I looked over the vehicle for quite a while, and didn't even know they needed a UVIP.

Things always get weird when people start answering questions that haven't been asked. As was mentioned above, these are all just figures of speech, clichéd catch-phrases, and so on. The more you babble, the more opportunities you give another person to develop a suspicion, even when it is totally unfounded.

"Honestly..."

I know everybody is going on the defensive here, but sometimes people are actually telling the truth and they just get flabbergasted. Not everybody has fantastic communication skills. Although I would be lying if I said that wouldn't raise some flags ;)

More importantly take a look at their body language (Eyes, Shoulders, etc)

More importantly take a look at their body language (Eyes, Shoulders, etc)

Look for eyes to dart down and to the right and then back up very quickly. I've never paid attention to that in real life but on TV interviews I see that all the time. I'm not sure if that indicates lying but I suspect it does.

Look for eyes to dart down and to the right and then back up very quickly. I've never paid attention to that in real life but on TV interviews I see that all the time. I'm not sure if that indicates lying but I suspect it does.

Most people have a difficult time looking somebody directly in the eyes and lying to them. People with morality generally look away quickly to try and break eye contact. I'm not sure what psychological factors are at play there...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2012/08/13/how-to-tell-when-someone-is-lying/

It's when people give follow up statements to preemptively challenge you that makes me wonder...

Like:

* You don't need a UVIP... It's all paid off...
* Never dropped or raced... you can have my abstract if you want.
* It's never been dropped ......... I'm a good rider.

Last edited:
Ok, I think this has been sorted out. Here's the one that gets me. When somebody takes me into their confidence and describes best methods to manipulate others. Respect and trust are gone at that point.

You have strange friends.

Almost all of these statements can be applied to when a poker player is bluffing. Trust me on this.

Back
Top Bottom