Patrick Brown Elected Head of Provincial Conservatives | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Patrick Brown Elected Head of Provincial Conservatives

Rob,

I'm in the same boat. I was being facetious about my comment of supporting the NDP. The reality is, they cannot fund their initiatives without getting cozy to big business. And they are all about the little guy.

All parties lie. It just a matter of which lies can we live with.

Switching gears to federal politics, I think Harper knows he's got no chance next election and doing the things he always wanted as a swan song.

I can't believe the party is supporting the stuff they are doing right now.

Going back to the province, I don't think they need a woman or minority as leader. But, the little track record that exists would suggest it's more of the same.

They need to bring back the progressive elements of the Conservative party and get a little more centre on the social. It's 2015. You can be supportive of family values and be inclusive to all.

Anyways, I've got nothing more to add. It's all just a sheet show.

Understood.

The NDP, both at the Provincial and Federal levels, has always struck me as a party of people who graduated with PoliSci degrees and never had to deal with real world consequences. Theory is a wonderful thing, but useless if it fails in practice. Look what happened when Rae got into power. Sure, it was at a time when the economy tanked, but policy has to be able to survive economic cycles.

Don't think that the Harper Conservatives are pushing stuff through that they otherwise won't get the chance to. I think that they fully believe that they are doing genius stuff. As I previously stated, behind closed doors they're just loving the smell of their own farts. Everyone is getting patted on the back for 'smart political moves' that will ultimately alienate all but the most hidebound party supporters.

What does that mean? Who is they?

They being the Conservative Party itself.

The party is trying to pander to their right leaning social values at the expense of alienating the broader voter base. You can be inclusive to most if not all people while still right leaning social values.

Or simply focus on economic topics and concede the social hot buttons like abortion and gay issues.

But honesty gets you no where. Everyone knows the high paying union jobs in the public sector are ballooning out of control. The manufacturing sector had to make adjustments for it. The corps asked for government funding to afford the status quo and keep the business going. When the government doesn't, they lay folks off and or move the business to a cheaper spot. Now we (taxpayers) just pay for unemployment and training for McJobs. They earn less, pay less in tax and need more social support with economic breaks.

So we want to be lied to. Told everyone will have cake and eat it too. Everyone will have great jobs, or if you don't work, there is great support until you decide it's time to work. Take away things for other people. Just don't touch what's mine.

And as long as the hammer doesn't fall on us, we just shrug our shoulders and keep letting the machine chug along.

Those gas power plant cancellations cost billions. But who was hurt? Who felt the pain of that lost money? What's going on with the land that was to be developed for those power plants now? Is it park land?

Thousands of windmills spinning across the province. Are they providing anything to the Grid? Are they reducing power generation costs and rates to consumers?

Meh, I'm just a keyboard commando and don't know much. But, from my perspective, we should be expecting better from government. I don't care what party at this point.

And, for example, of course everyone knows that the gold-plated public sector pensions are under funded. (Except that I have a public sector pension plan that's fully funded and would have even more of a buffer, if it wasn't capped at a certain level of profitability.) Gotta have someone to take shots at and everyone hates those fat cat public sector guys, so let's burn them.

Auto sector pensions were permitted, by government, to be under funded as an incentive. That's great until the industry or economy tanks, and then the workers get nothing. The PCs point at private industry model as the panacea to fix all government ills, except it's messed up too. It also has to work on a different service model.

Meh, I'm just a keyboard commando and don't know much. But, from my perspective, we should be expecting better from government. I don't care what party at this point.

You probably know more than you think or are willing to admit to yourself. I truly believe your perspective angle is pretty much the angle of the majority of citizens ... yet the minority of politicians keeps screwing us up. So "they" need to be stopped by "us" ... agreed? So the question becomes how?

You probably know more than you think or are willing to admit to yourself. I truly believe your perspective angle is pretty much the angle of the majority of citizens ... yet the minority of politicians keeps screwing us up. So "they" need to be stopped by "us" ... agreed? So the question becomes how?

Civil disobedience ?

Vote them out before they hit their pensionable time in? That should scare them.

My dream is to fall in to billions of disposable income and spend a massive chunk of it in every election all over the country campaigning against incumbents. I'd keep at it until no one would ever dare run for a second term. The country would be saved 100s of millions in pension cost in the long run and have the immediate benefit of destroying the political class and eliminating forever the existence of the career politician. In my perfect world, someone gets elected once, then crawls back into the hole they came from at the next election. In time it should dawn on people that ideas like this deserve to be awarded the order of Canada, without spending a dime to discover that.

Vote them out before they hit their pensionable time in? That should scare them.

.... But, from my perspective, we should be expecting better from government. I don't care what party at this point.

Agreed. ...and from cops and any public employee. Will it ever happen? I don't think so. I can only hope for better. As for which party, maybe voting the NDP in will scare 'em. Let's see what happens in Alberta.

That's hard to do, even with under-performing MP's from irrelevant parties, who never show up.

The time to qualify is so short, and so many people just vote for a party without thought.

My dream is to fall in to billions of disposable income and spend a massive chunk of it in every election all over the country campaigning against incumbents. I'd keep at it until no one would ever dare run for a second term. The country would be saved 100s of millions in pension cost in the long run and have the immediate benefit of destroying the political class and eliminating forever the existence of the career politician. In my perfect world, someone gets elected once, then crawls back into the hole they came from at the next election. In time it should dawn on people that ideas like this deserve to be awarded the order of Canada, without spending a dime to discover that.

My dream is to contact the Rhinoceros Party (I'm a 'card carrying' member) and get them to help me through the process of filing and running. At least then I'll know that the candidate I'm voting for is incompetent, rather than having to guess.

I'll vote for ya. But then you'll become one of "them". Then we'll ***** about you turning...

Last edited by a moderator:
My dream is to contact the Rhinoceros Party (I'm a 'card carrying' member) and get them to help me through the process of filing and running. At least then I'll know that the candidate I'm voting for is incompetent, rather than having to guess.

I've voted Rhino before, but the candidate was Municipal, and managed to snag us a kids' park, next to the local church's parking lot.

So people in Brown's riding dropped the ball, as he will be collecting at 55 a nice chunk from us all. Smart guy ....

But seriously, it's not addressing the root cause of the dire situation. Honest and smart people don't run. They either want no part of the boondoggle or simply don't have the means.

Th smart folks don't have the stomach to play the games necessary to take part. It's a slimy business.

And if you do stand up and actually follow through with the things you'd say, the political machine will chew you up and spit you out.

Its humanity at its worst.

I don't have any hope it will get any better because it's evolved into something beyond a person representing a ward or region.

Th smart folks don't have the stomach to play the games necessary to take part. It's a slimy business.

And if you do stand up and actually follow through with the things you'd say, the political machine will chew you up and spit you out.

Its humanity at its worst.

I don't have any hope it will get any better because it's evolved into something beyond a person representing a ward or region.

This certainly happened with Stephane Dion who I think was a decent guy with his heart in the right place. Horrible choice for a leader though. A great cabinet minister but not the leader. John Tory was a great fit for the provincial PC but jeesh... Talk about a campaign blunder...

I'll vote for ya. But then you'll become one of "them". Then we'll ***** about you turning...

My platform will include a promise not to slowly become a craven political whore, like all of the others. I vow to be one from the moment that I take office and never change.

Back
Top Bottom