The insurance quote collector thread | GTAMotorcycle.com

The insurance quote collector thread

Visuthan

One of the things I was looking for when I was beginning the motorcycle process in Toronto was actual examples of insurance premiums for specific motorcycles. GTAMotorcycle was great help but there really wasn't a thread that was collecting actual quotes in a coherent manner. I am starting this one in hopes that it could help others looking at motorcycles and wondering whether that dream motorcycle could be affordable. Perhaps it'll even suggest another motorcycle that could end up being someone's dream motorcycle.

Note that there is no guarantee that you will get the same quote amounts even if the information matched perfectly but it probably gives you a ball park estimate. This is not supposed to provide any sort of insurance advise for you. It only states what is.

First, the rules:
1. Add only info in lines. One line per quote.
2. First add the insurance you chose. Add more quotes if you have them or still remember them.
3. No personal info such as Name or Postal codes is required, unless you want to share this. Intersection or general area should suffice.

Second, the format:
Try to stick to the format so that someone going through this (or inventing a script that can basically pull all of this into a spreadsheet) can easily do so.Try not to change the format unless I've missed something very important in it. Below it is, in bold Italics.

Motorcycle Year and Model, Rider Age & Gender, Home Intersection, License Level, Insurance company / broker, Annual Insurance Premium

Mine goes first I suppose. Quote I ended up buying is in bold. Note that I have rental and automobile insurance with TD Meloche Monnex.

2012 Suzuki SFV650 Gladius, Male 30, Bayview & Sheppard, M2, Riders Plus, $1866

2012 Suzuki SFV650 Gladius, Male 30, Bayview & Sheppard, M2, TD Meloche Monnex, $1979
2012 Suzuki SFV650 Gladius, Male 30, Bayview & Sheppard, M2, State Farm, $2147
2015 Yamaha FZ-07, Male 30, Bayview & Sheppard, M2, Riders Plus, $1920
2015 Yamaha FZ-07, Male 30, Bayview & Sheppard, M2, State Farm, $2295
2015 KTM 390 Duke, Male 30, Bayview & Sheppard, M2, TD Meloche Monnex, $1340
2015 Yamaha YZF-R3, Male 30, Bayview & Sheppard, M2, TD Meloche Monnex, $1340

Now I've fulfilled my lifelong dream of starting a forum thread.... :eek:ccasion9:

Last edited:
Good luck with the thread. Getting specific information from a general thread is chancy at best.

You mention NOT putting in postal codes but they are a big part of the rate structure. Other factors are age of rider, sex of rider, years of experience M-1. M-2 or M, age and type of bike, multi-vehicle discounts, ticket / claim history, coverage, other riders in household and more.

The add to this that insurers adjust their lineup like a sports team. If something isn't showing the right profit / loss ratio they will hammer a line or go soft to adjust.

There are so many variables so, other than knowing what someone is paying for insurance, it's not much help. There are different levels of coverage for example. Collision, comp, liability, benefit levels.

The best thing to do is call around. Doesn't matter if you are a new rider looking for insurance or a seasoned rider that received their renewal. The business changes often.

I went with Echelon this year. I'm old, have a full M, ride a 1200 Sportster which doesn't hold a lot for replacement value. Premium is $1040. The rest didn't come close. Intact wanted to renew me at $1740.

Also got a couple of minor infractions that are fairly fresh. I called around. TD, All State, Intact, Statefarm, The Personal.

Rates are an arcane science at best. But fwiw:

N9G area code, M license, no violations, 8th consecutive year of insurance, Advanced Rider Training discount of $100, full replacement value on 2014 VRSCDX with $1k deductible I'm paying $1240 through Echelon. All the experience and training they combined gave me the coveted 6 star rating.

TD, RBC and Intact were all over $1800 and I even have vehicles and property insurance through RBC.

Good luck with the thread.

The idea was to try and gather quotes from those who are willing to share info so that someone new to this could have an idea of cost without jumping through a gazillion threads. In my defense, I did state that the numbers may vary. By the way, most of the criteria you mentioned is in the format.

If it helps, it helps. If not, well, I tried.

The idea was to try and gather quotes from those who are willing to share info so that someone new to this could have an idea of cost without jumping through a gazillion threads. In my defense, I did state that the numbers may vary. By the way, most of the criteria you mentioned is in the format.

If it helps, it helps. If not, well, I tried.

I don't see any reason to stop but unlike the other two posts I dumped Echelon because their rates were too high. I'm an old coot on a Goldwing.

Keep trying on the thread. Sometimes it takes a while before a pattern evolves. Sometimes the input format needs a tweak.

On behalf of my cousin. 2015 Yamaha R3, M2 license first year, 18 years old, Toronto, Dalton Timmis Insurance $2130

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On behalf of my cousin. 2015 Yamaha R3, M2 license first year, 18 years old, Toronto, Dalton Timmis Insurance $2130

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats absolutely crazy, 18yo and under 3grand on a 2015?

Sheesh!

2012 CBR 250, 21yo, M2 for 1yr, Bathurst/StClair, Desjardins, Comp+Liability $1400something

Same info as above but differing bikes
2012 Ninja 650, Desjardins, 3568
2012 Ninja 650, Intact, 4271
2008 Ninja 650, Intact, 4125
2012 SV650, Desjardins, 3231
2012 SV650, Aviva, 2436
2008 SV650, Desjardins, 3005
2008 SV650, Aviva, 2607
2004 SV650, Desjardins, 3130
2004 SV650, Aviva, 2624

2005 Suzuki Bandit 1200s 29/ Male / M5P, no at fault accident last 7 years and no tickets in last 3 years (do have accidents and tickets when I was a teen). GM (bike license for 5 years). I went with TD MM for $2000 per year liability and theft only.

I had similar quotes from other insurers but decided to go with TD since I had a good experience with them paying out a claim in the past.

These are the Cheapest quotes I got. I tried StateFarm, 9000$ was the average quote i got. TD was around 4500$ for each of these, the VLX was 4700$. AllState wont insure me on a bike until i've insured my car with them for at least a year.
Although I dont live in the GTA, at least you know its not any cheaper if you live way out in the boonies, we get screwed almost as much as you do.

1991 Kawasaki Eliminator, Male, 23, Brantford ON, M2, Surnet, 1585$, Liability only.
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD, Male, 23, Brantford ON, M2 Surnet 2147$, Liability only.
1997 Honda Shadow 600 VLX, Male, 23, Brantford ON, M2, Surnet 2158$, Liability only.

I found that Paul South has the best rates by far.

Back
Top Bottom