Old Nipissing Ride - Saturday, May 16th | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Old Nipissing Ride - Saturday, May 16th

I rode the section from 518 to Ahmic Lake Road and into Ahmic Harbour via Ahmic Lake Road on Saturday, nice little cafe there across from the "Ahmic Lake Hot l".

There are a few sections with very loose surface and a couple of short muddy sections, cruisers beware.
There are also some tight corners with loose surface, watch your speed, I'm glad I had a GPS to look ahead.

Lots of blackflies, don't plan on doing much picnicking on the trail itself.

Couple of deer crossed in front of me, saw a few very large bear droppings.

Enjoyed the ride, will do it again, thanks for the map and website.

By the way there is a hotel in Sprucedale with clean, reasonable priced rooms for anyone who would like to make the trip a multi-day adventure.

Sorry I can't make it this weekend - you guys will have to find another bike to pick up. I will be up there overnight from Sunday to Monday at Deerhurst, and might ride it then. Looking forward to hearing how it goes and check out the screaming heads at midlothian if you have time.

By the way there is a hotel in Sprucedale with clean, reasonable priced rooms for anyone who would like to make the trip a multi-day adventure.

That Sprucedale Hotel is a great find for the area... $5 if you want a shower (if no-service camping in the area), or only $30/night single or $50/night double occupancy. It sounds a bit like a hostel, but would be a cheap base for a couple days of exploring in the area.

That Sprucedale Hotel is a great find for the area... $5 if you want a shower (if no-service camping in the area), or only $30/night single or $50/night double occupancy. It sounds a bit like a hostel, but would be a cheap base for a couple days of exploring in the area.

They also have good food, and live bands Friday /Saturdays. I've spent a night there twice.

I am scheduled to work this weekend, but if I'm off, I'm in, should know on thursday. I will take a copy of that gxp file if I can.
thx Mike.

I am scheduled to work this weekend, but if I'm off, I'm in, should know on thursday. I will take a copy of that gxp file if I can.
thx Mike.

PM me your email address and it'll be on the way.

Did the Nipissing Trail a couple years ago, I've great footage of it including a deer running out of the bush in front of a buddy; he put his front tire right ups its ar$e but kept it up.

I'll be up for a ride into the area later in the year, have fun!

Question... do you guys want to attempt part of the Seguin Trail, which is part of the Park to Park trail system?
From what I've read, it is a very easy rail trail considered beginner level, and we could run the portion from Orrville to Seguin Falls where it crosses the Nipissing Road and that is where we can leave the trail.

What do you guys think? Worth checking out?

I'll add the start of the trail near Orrville as a waypoint to the route and we can at least scope it out when we get up there.

The weather forecast for that area (at least right now) is saying Saturday will be a high of 14 degrees and cloudy... which is perfect for riding and exploring as we won't overheat.

Looks like i'm working this weekend, have fun, post some pics if you take any.

Poop, im gone to costa rica :( another edition of it is gonna be happening soon?

Poop, im gone to costa rica :( another edition of it is gonna be happening soon?

Chase and myself are planning to go up again later this summer, myself bringing the DRZ, and plan to do the Park to Park trail and explore the area between Huntsville and Algonquin. We might even explore more of the Nipissing Road -- the impassable parts for big bikes.

I'll post up ride details once we figure out a date.

Just before Parry Sound (exit #214 I believe) there is a Tim hortons/petro canada, etc. You can access the Seguin trail right there after a gas/pee stop.
With all the recent rain, there MAY be more mud and deeper water, however I'm game if everyone else is. It's a really nice ride, lots of small lakes etc, worse case scenario we leave the trail at one of the many points where it crosses a road. No biggie.
Edit: you can also get Seguin trail maps inside the rest stop at Muskoka Tourism, the maps are free, but you are "supposed" to pay for a day use pass on the trail. The last time I bought one it was around $25. Personally I only bought a pass if I was on my green-plated bike, for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't want to deviated from the planned route too much as I think we are going to run out of time.

I was just thinking about doing the portion of trail from Orville to Seguin Falls, so 12 to 15km in total, and that section looks like this: basically a skinny gravel road.

DSC03956.jpg

Sounds good, I'll just follow. :D

I am going to try and make this but need to be back in Waterloo by 6 so I may cut out early where are the final meet up points?

Tim Hortons, hwy 400 at Innisfil Beach Rd exit. Kickstands up at 8 am. Demonpig will meet southern riders at Tim hortons in Mississauga (specific location in first post this thread) leaving for Innisfil at 6:30 am if anyone wants to ride up together.

So do that trail instead of 518 Mike?

Yeah, that is what I was thinking... instead of riding the 518 from Orrville to Nipissing Road, we would ride the Seguin trail from Orrville to the Nipissing Road as long it is not too tricky. If it becomes too difficult, we could turn around or there are also 3 or 4 places the trail crosses a road.

In total it would be 15km less of 518 and 12 to 14km of trail, so unless we run into any issues on that trail it shouldn't add much if any time to the route.

The route would be something like this, but it only shows up on google maps if you set the routing to walking: https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/45.2...0x4d2a49b940e0889d:0xbf94464944715120!1m0!3e2

bxEhagv.png

Slightly ghetto, but this is the best I can muster for extra fuel at the moment.... 5L jerry can, in one of my side cases. The other side case regretfully will not be joining me.. god damn KTM exhaust.

Total of 17L **prays** hopefully 320KM Range.

lsRTQjT.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom