Old Nipissing Ride - Saturday, May 16th | GTAMotorcycle.com

Old Nipissing Ride - Saturday, May 16th

DemonPig

Do not cast your pearls before swine
Site Supporter
http://www.nipissingroad.ca/
This ride is only for bikes capable of handling 400 series highways but also gravel, dirt and uneven terrain. It is not a motocross event however, and we will bypass harshest stretches.

Meet spot:

8am departure time (if you want to socialize come earlier)
Tim Hortons @ Innisfil Beach Rd. and HWY 400
2098 Commerce Park Dr., Innisfil
Shell gas station is right next door - fill up before we leave.

I'm leaving from Mississauga, if anyone wants to meet there:
6:30am
Tim Hortons, 780 S Sheridan Way (QEW @ Mississauga Rd.)
gas station is there as well.
I'm gonna have a quick coffee to wake up and depart.

We will slab it on 400 to Rosseau where the Old Nipissing Road starts, from then on we will explore the road and potentially do a couple of side trips to see local points of interest (as in ghost towns for example). On our way we'll pass through Magnetawan and Commanda, finally reaching Nipissing area.
Coming back, we may do a side trip if time allows and there's still sun out.

Estimated time required for the ride is 11h (Innisfil to Innisfil).

We'll stop for lunch at whichever small town looks friendly.

What to bring:

hiking shoes, water, energy bar, positive attitude

I have never done this route, some parts are not mapped, we will possibly get "lost," if that bothers you, please stay home.

In case of bad weather, the ride will be moved to the following Saturday.

Last edited:
Route looks great, uhm do you know how to show Gas Stops on Google Maps? From the looks of it... Unless i'm hauling a tanker truck I'm not going to make it. My range is roughly 180-200KM (If I'm gentle with the KTM....)

Although I could stuff my backpack full of MSR bottles....... :lmao:

Question... are we slabbing it up to 141, or are we getting off at 38 and running through Bala and Port Carling?

Chase... I can carry my Kolpin in my case for our range challenged friend.

Great. I'll convert it to gpx and upload it to my GPS and can email the file to Chase as well... provided he gets a new tube and tire by then.

Should be getting a Heidenau Scout K60 tomorrow. I figure I need something with decent tread life... considering I also plan on removing the 1st and 2nd gear power restriction :D

I've gone and created the GPX... the Bala/Port Carling detour would add around 20 to 30 minutes on to the ride, but better scenery and gas stops.

It looks like it will be around 4 hours from Innisfill to the end, and then 4 hours slabbing from the end to Mississauga, not including breaks, gas stops, etc etc, so it will be a long day of riding for sure.

I've also mapped out an alternative route in case the 400 is jammed past Barrie and by some miracle #11 isn't. Anyway... hopefully the early start will help avoid some of the long weekend traffic.

I'll email the GPX to Chase, and anyone else who wants a copy.

Rode this on saturday, I'm up to go again next weekend. One small change to the route, at the north end, just south of 522 you need to take Rye road up to 522. The Old Nipissing rd on google maps doesn't exist, it just runs right into some guy's farm and I made a u-turn in his driveway with a bunch of people in the barn staring at me. The road to his place is marked as no exit or not a through road so I should have known better than to listen to my gps.

For gas there aren't a lot of actual gas stations around there. I looked for gas in Rosseau but didn't see any. The closest listed in my gps was about 25km away. I wasn't desperate for gas so I didn't spend too long looking. In Magnetawan I was directed to the marina for gas by some folks at the restaurant I stopped at. They also mentioned there was normally gas at the bait and tackle shop up the road but they hadn't had any left earlier in the week. I still had lots of gas when I got to the north end so i didn't look for any there.

There was one section I turned around at because it started looking more like a trail and less like a road. Being by myself and never having ridden anything like this before I didn't want to get into anything I couldn't handle. Despite my cowardice I suspect it's ridable though. It was still wide enough to fit a car down, just to provide some perspective.

If anyone wants my GPS tracking file or more details let me know. Here are a couple pictures from Rye rd a little ways south of 522.

IMG_20150509_135323.jpg

IMG_20150509_140010.jpg

Looks like I'm in. Unless work comes up.

I've gone and created the GPX... the Bala/Port Carling detour would add around 20 to 30 minutes on to the ride, but better scenery and gas stops.

It looks like it will be around 4 hours from Innisfill to the end, and then 4 hours slabbing from the end to Mississauga, not including breaks, gas stops, etc etc, so it will be a long day of riding for sure.

I've also mapped out an alternative route in case the 400 is jammed past Barrie and by some miracle #11 isn't. Anyway... hopefully the early start will help avoid some of the long weekend traffic.

I'll email the GPX to Chase, and anyone else who wants a copy.

Got the GPX and it looks good, thanks Mike.

Rode this on saturday, I'm up to go again next weekend. One small change to the route, at the north end, just south of 522 you need to take Rye road up to 522. The Old Nipissing rd on google maps doesn't exist, it just runs right into some guy's farm and I made a u-turn in his driveway with a bunch of people in the barn staring at me. The road to his place is marked as no exit or not a through road so I should have known better than to listen to my gps.

For gas there aren't a lot of actual gas stations around there. I looked for gas in Rosseau but didn't see any. The closest listed in my gps was about 25km away. I wasn't desperate for gas so I didn't spend too long looking. In Magnetawan I was directed to the marina for gas by some folks at the restaurant I stopped at. They also mentioned there was normally gas at the bait and tackle shop up the road but they hadn't had any left earlier in the week. I still had lots of gas when I got to the north end so i didn't look for any there.

There was one section I turned around at because it started looking more like a trail and less like a road. Being by myself and never having ridden anything like this before I didn't want to get into anything I couldn't handle. Despite my cowardice I suspect it's ridable though. It was still wide enough to fit a car down, just to provide some perspective.

If anyone wants my GPS tracking file or more details let me know. Here are a couple pictures from Rye rd a little ways south of 522.

Sounds like gas in a little scarce... So uh how about premium? :lmao:

This is going to be me:

Cambodia-extra-fuel.jpg

:lmao:You and me both man. My range is even worse than yours.
I'll top up my 5L canister so I'll have 15 liters total until completely empty which should give me... Around 300km until I'm pushing the bike.

This is going to be me:

Cambodia-extra-fuel.jpg

Last edited:

At the marina my choices were gas or diesel, so I went with gas :p

On the plus side my bike seemed to run ok on it, even though it calls for premium.

Good to know. I thought it was a regular gas station there.

How much did they charge you at the marina?

I wonder if we'll forget to make the adjustment before 522 and end up in that barn for a while?

We can always fill up at Port Carling. It's about 130km from Innisfil. Then around 150km to Nipissing if all else fails.

Last edited:
Is the route suitable for large bikes? KTM 1190 in particular with bags?

I'm interested in joining you on this one.

Is the route suitable for large bikes? KTM 1190 in particular with bags?

I'm interested in joining you on this one.

I'll send you the GPX when I get home, but the 1190 will definitely handle it. Nearly everyone going is on a big bike and 1/2 of them are on street tires too. We will be bypassing the tough parts as no one wants to pull a 600lb bike out of mud.

Back
Top Bottom