This mornings excitement | GTAMotorcycle.com

This mornings excitement

nobbie48

Site Supporter
Going north on 427 in the van at the 401 and all hell breaks loose. A recycle bin pops out of the bed of a pickup ahead of me and it became like a pinball game as cars hit it and it bounced in front of other cars then again. Cars are swerving to miss it and it's as predictable a football landing.

I hit it and somehow it ended up behind me in the right lane so I pulled onto the shoulder and dragged it to the side, letting traffic return the the normal chaos. The pickup driver walked back to retrieve it and we had a little chat. "That's the kind of S*** that gets people killed" was my opening line. "You're supposed to properly secure your load."
The little turd says he did. Well if he did why was the bin on the highway?
About a minute later a guy went by on a bike. Could have been interesting if he was a bit earlier.

Rant over.

Car drivers are very stupid when it comes to securing loads. Riding a motorcycle gives us a good understanding of how strong the wind is at 100+kmh.

Always scan the road for potential danger. Never put your life in others hands

I've seen a helmet bouncing down the highway before,
and a poorly secured bag slowly being sucked into a back wheel;
Let's not get too holier than thou.

Should've gotten his plate and called the cops. Wasn't there a bunch of cars pulling over to get his info for the insurance claims on their cars if this bin was bouncing off them at highway speeds?

Closest call I've had to date was dodging a tire on the hwy. I literally ducked to avoid it while riding. No idea where it came from, none of the cars or trucks in front of me were short a tire...

I hate following anyone with a load on their roof, or loose stuff in a pickup. Years ago on the 427 near Derry Road while following a pickup I noticed the bed liner was lifting slightly up and down in the box. A few seconds later a wind gust caught it and sent it about 50 feet straight up into the air. It flipped a few times in the air and came down on the left shoulder right next to me as I passed the location.

People with pickups are the worst. Everyone seems to just throw stuff in the back and expect it to stay there. Half the time they don't even close the tailgate.

People with pickups are the worst. Everyone seems to just throw stuff in the back and expect it to stay there. Half the time they don't even close the tailgate.

Clearly you never owned a Pickup...the boxes are magic and nothing ever flys out unless and evil warlock is around

Source: I own a pickup

Always scan the road for potential danger. Never put your life in others hands
VJsw1MaU_400x400.jpeg

I got hit in the foot with a chunk of exploded bus tire on the weekend. I managed to avoid almost all the debris, but my front tire hit the end of this one piece, and chucked it up.

Didn't get injured or anything, boot took all the impact thankfully. Always have to be paying attention!

Clearly you never owned a Pickup...the boxes are magic and nothing ever flys out unless and evil warlock is around

Source: I own a pickup
I drive one daily for work. The ones I drive almost always have a cap and I still tie stuff down. Then again, I also tie stuff down in the trunk of my SUV and in our cargo van. I drive fast and hate having stuff flying around in the back of the car. My beer won't be beer when I get home if I don't tie it down, lol.

I will admit, it does seem magical sometimes when I see a pickup with a huge load, tailgate open, not a single thing tied down, and the guy is driving aggressively yet somehow nothing is falling off.

I will admit, it does seem magical sometimes when I see a pickup with a huge load, tailgate open, not a single thing tied down, and the guy is driving aggressively yet somehow nothing is falling off.

Full coffee would stay upright on the doghouse(Tradesman Van) 9 times out of 10. Magical indeed.

I got hit in the foot with a chunk of exploded bus tire on the weekend. I managed to avoid almost all the debris, but my front tire hit the end of this one piece, and chucked it up.

Didn't get injured or anything, boot took all the impact thankfully. Always have to be paying attention!
Things I've seen sitting on the 401:
ladders
shovel
bicycle
washing machine
various tires/wheels/hub caps

I've also had the belly pan on my car fly off on the 401. I've seen a guy have a seizure behind the wheel. I've seen the wheel come off a trailer. I've encountered multiple fire-engulfed vehicles. I've done a complete 180 on the 401 in the snow.

So yes, always need to be paying attention.

I've seen dozens of 2x4s (wood) strewn across the Gardner, matresses and bags of garbage all over the 401, all kinds of debris.

I got something that fell off a truck. Now I got a brand new stereo.

Things I've seen sitting on the 401:
ladders
shovel
bicycle
washing machine
various tires/wheels/hub caps

I've also had the belly pan on my car fly off on the 401. I've seen a guy have a seizure behind the wheel. I've seen the wheel come off a trailer. I've encountered multiple fire-engulfed vehicles. I've done a complete 180 on the 401 in the snow.

So yes, always need to be paying attention.

Doesn't count unless you've done a 360.

Back
Top Bottom