Protect Paint from Saddle Bags | GTAMotorcycle.com

Protect Paint from Saddle Bags

spray____

Site Supporter
I'm not sure the best location for this, but I figure the guys who monitor this would know...

I recently grabbed some cheap used saddle bags for my PA trip. They aren't fancy, but I'll probably only use them once or twice this year. They are held on by some fabric straps that cross over the passenger seat, and some straps that go to the passenger foot pegs.

The only thing that holds the apart is their contact with the tail. I learned my lesson on my last bike that I don't want them vibrating and shifting around on the paint as it will scuff. I've heard the is a type of 3M tape you can get, but I haven't been able to find any more info on it.

So the question is what you you guys use, and where do you get it?

You can get a roll of thin closed-cell foam at Dollarama. They sell it as a camping mat or yoga mat

I tried those two, even both of them together (tape on the bodywork, liner under and around the straps), but after a while, both will wear out, and you'll end up with scratches. Soft saddle bags will move around a bit, you will probably have to tighten the straps mid trip on long hauls... I've used saddle bags for years and could not find a perfect way to protect the bodywork, especially when loaded with heavier stuff. Also, be sure they don't sag down and get on the pipes...

I've replaced the conventional straps and buckles on mine with Arno straps. It is a lot easier to snug everything down to prevent shifting and to make adjustments on the road.

Princess Auto used to sell a cheap roll of transparent body protector film. Not sure if they still do but if you ever ride past Kingston and need some you can have it if I can find it.

Thanks guys.

If I might have another look later and see what it would cost to order that 3M tape from the site. I only had a quick glance but it doens't look too bad.

I'm nervous about using anything else incase it doesn't un-stick and turns into a mess, or doesn't stick and moves around causing scratches. The only other thing I've though of is trying to find a micro fibre cloth and sewing some velcro onto it to hold it in place over the seat and between the bags. Seems like a lot of work, but would be pretty nice if it all went well. The saddle bags already have a strip of velco across the back for holding on some plastic bracket thing. I'm planning on building some sort of metal bracket that holds them apart so they don't swing into the way of the wheel or swingarm.

The straps that go over the seat are held to each other with long thick strips of velcro, so I'm not worried about them sagging. I can also pass them through a strap on the back seat so they shouldn't shift forward or back, especially when tied to the rear pegs.

546aae8c_fbd8_4786_aff9_01648e808a4d_3550_Aeropac_II_Saddlebag.jpg

Last edited:
There is a company in Mississauga, I think, that will protect your whole bike with the 3M stuff for a couple hundred bucks. Can't recall how I found them, though.

I've used electrical tape on tail sections that rub. It's cheap, easily repairable, waterproof and doesn't leave adhesive behind when it's removed.

I've used electrical tape on tail sections that rub. It's cheap, easily repairable, waterproof and doesn't leave adhesive behind when it's removed.

Now you're speaking my language.

I put down a few strips of green painters tape to ensure any area where the saddlebags might touch the fairing is covered. I then put duct tape over the painters tape. The duct tape is thick and is good at providing protection and comes off easily since it adhered to the painters tape.

Back
Top Bottom