Gas Stations along a route | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gas Stations along a route

ifiddles

Need your help with google maps...I know how to plan a route on google maps from A to B...I also know how to search nearby a location...however, how do I find gas stations along a route once I've mapped it out...

For example...I want to go from Cambridge to Sudbury...planned my route but now I want to see the gas stations along the way so I know where I should be planning on refuelling without having to open up another window and doing a search nearby a location where I think I should be stopping...

I don't have data on my phone, so any phone apps won't help me...I use the old pen and paper trick when it comes to planning my routes...thanks! Ivana

I think Google Maps only allows you to view gas stations along your route if you are using their app w/ your phone. Since you are doing this the old school way you might have to just know your bikes fuel range and pick stops along the way. Since it's only about 450km, how about a stop in the middle near Barrie and/or Parry Sound?

Hey Ivana,

If it's a stretch of road I'm concern about, I google "gas stations in ___".
Than you can pencil that on the map, or create waypoint in your GPX (or whatever routing you are using).

You shouldn't have problems in populated areas or on trans-canada/major highway, as there are enough gas stations, but some smaller ones close early, so keep that in mind too (aks me how I know :) ).

Lastly, you can get offline GPS app for your phone, and most have POI options including gas stations... You can compare their data with google, to be sure it is up-to-date.

Most phone aps have a setting for various Points of Interest that you can turn off and on.

If no smart phone ,...can't advise but seems your route should not pose a problem unless you riding a lawn mower :

I was just mapping some out for a trip the other day. I had decent results using the gas buddy website. If you go to the price map and zoom in enough it will show you specific locations. Otherwise, just go the Google maps on a PC and search for "gas". It should update search results as you pan around the map.

Unless you are purposely traveling exclusively on off the beaten path roads, (labrador, yukon) I don't see running out of gas as being a problem.

A GPS will show gas stations enroute also restaurants etc. Beware! For some reason the data people seem to think every convenience store pumps gas. Make sure the GPS is showing you a brand ie Shell Esso etc.

Most bikes don't have a problem with that length of trip but some sport ones have small tanks / range.

thanks everyone...CAA's trip tiks don't show gas stations (at least the one's I've had in the past didn't)...but I am familiar with using goolge to search nearby a destination and then pan around so that's what i'll do...as for not worrying, when you're up in northern Ontario, especially past Parry Sound, gas stations aren't as abundant as they are around here...ride safe!

if you fill up in Parry Sound, you'll be able to make it to Sudbury without stopping again

I've suggested this to Google before but I don't think it's ever been implemented. I'm surprised Shane says you can map them out on the mobile app as I've never seen that option. I know Waze will show Essos as you're driving (doesn't help if you're trying to plan your route beforehand) although it only seems to show some of them and also seems to have non-existent stations on it.

I've suggested this to Google before but I don't think it's ever been implemented. I'm surprised Shane says you can map them out on the mobile app as I've never seen that option. I know Waze will show Essos as you're driving (doesn't help if you're trying to plan your route beforehand) although it only seems to show some of them and also seems to have non-existent stations on it.
I haven't actually done the mobile app thing, but when I was searching for solutions into it, the only one I found was through the app. I'm still using the original iPhone, so not sure if I can do it.
As Matthew said fill up in Parry Sound and you should be good to go, unless you can't do 170km on a tank.

I haven't actually done the mobile app thing, but when I was searching for solutions into it, the only one I found was through the app. I'm still using the original iPhone, so not sure if I can do it.
As Matthew said fill up in Parry Sound and you should be good to go, unless you can't do 170km on a tank.
Looked it up and found conflicting info. Some articles said it was in Google Maps, some said it was a Google Now card. I just tried to see if I could make it work on my Note2 and had no luck.

This is one place a good gps with offline maps is superior. When I plot out trips in basecamp I can see POI's, can locate gas, lodging, shopping etc. Also while on route you can search forges stations along your route or just what is close.

This is one place a good gps with offline maps is superior. When I plot out trips in basecamp I can see POI's, can locate gas, lodging, shopping etc. Also while on route you can search forges stations along your route or just what is close.

No doubt the ability to check for gas stations along your route while riding is a huge strength of a bike dedicated GPS but we still need to be aware that the data isn't always accurate. This is more true to further you are off the beaten path (and the more you need gas!) In a general sense it's good to make sure you fill up much more often than you need to when traveling further away from main highways. The gps database often has the phone number for the gas station. If you might be close to empty a call ahead to check if open might be a good idea.

..Tom

How is that an "advantage" over a smart phone GPS plotting application.
You are looking for justifications that don't exist.
Software is software.

Some smart phone GPS apps can take plotted routes just as a dedicated GPS can plus do
http://support.motionx.com/motionx-gps/importing-waypoints-or-tracks/
many other tasks.
Maps are downloaded to the app in the same way and offline maps for regions are available ( yes they need to be downloaded ahead of time ) and updated regularly plus you can choose from a wide variety of source maps.

How is that an "advantage" over a smart phone GPS plotting application.
You are looking for justifications that don't exist.
Software is software.

Some smart phone GPS apps can take plotted routes just as a dedicated GPS can plus do
http://support.motionx.com/motionx-gps/importing-waypoints-or-tracks/
many other tasks.
Maps are downloaded to the app in the same way and offline maps for regions are available ( yes they need to be downloaded ahead of time ) and updated regularly plus you can choose from a wide variety of source maps.

The advantage is offline. I have been in many places in the states where internet was spotty and barely worked or non existent. So unless you want to go hunting around for a diner/coffee shop to get some free wifi so you can map out a few things, offline wins. Each to their own, but I like not being dependent on a good connection to view maps and POI's.

Back
Top Bottom