Gas Stations along a route | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gas Stations along a route

The advantage is offline. I have been in many places in the states where internet was spotty and barely worked or non existent. So unless you want to go hunting around for a diner/coffee shop to get some free wifi so you can map out a few things, offline wins. Each to their own, but I like not being dependent on a good connection to view maps and POI's.

Nokia Next is free for smartphones and works offline including search and POI.

Nokia Next is free for smartphones and works offline including search and POI.

Could not find anything about Nokia Next, are you maybe talking about Nokia Here?

That would not work for me, no way I want to sit on my phone and plot out routes. Screen is far to small for that and I have an iPhone 6 Plus. I think most GPS apps for smart phones that work offline have that functionality, but again, I personally do not want to be planning routes on a little screen. Basecamp is a great app, has everything loaded, can have different folders much like playlists in iTunes, save different waypoints of points of interest in each folder, makes planning multiple trips, or multiples routes easy and organized. In the end whatever works for you, I just personally think the best solution is a dedicate GPS, and for me that is Garmin.

Could not find anything about Nokia Next, are you maybe talking about Nokia Here?

That would not work for me, no way I want to sit on my phone and plot out routes. Screen is far to small for that and I have an iPhone 6 Plus. I think most GPS apps for smart phones that work offline have that functionality, but again, I personally do not want to be planning routes on a little screen. Basecamp is a great app, has everything loaded, can have different folders much like playlists in iTunes, save different waypoints of points of interest in each folder, makes planning multiple trips, or multiples routes easy and organized. In the end whatever works for you, I just personally think the best solution is a dedicate GPS, and for me that is Garmin.
Sorry, yes, dunno why I called it Next. Must've mixed it up with something else.

For me I just type "gas" in the search window of google maps and find gas this way.
Of course I do this at home when researching for my trip ahead of time.
There's a gas / Tim Hortons just out side Perry Sound that everyone seems to stop at.
For those of you that hate the new google maps........enjoy

https://www.google.com/maps/mmtypeanythinghere

WHat don't you get about

a) not needing an internet connection

b) ANYTHING you can do on a dedicated GPS you can do on a smart phone with a GPS app.....period full stop.

You do not need any internet, wireless or phone connection to use GPS applications on a smartphone....is this so hard to understand.
Upload your own maps to it by whatever format you want to.

Geez.....even Garmin acknolwedges it

StreetPilot® Onboard for iPhone
Turn your iPhone into a premium GPS navigator with this one-time purchase. Maps and POIs are stored onboard, so they always are available.

North America

Available on the App Store

U.S.

U.K. and Ireland

Western Europe

StreetPilot for Windows Phone (U.S & Canada Maps) puts Garmin navigation at your fingertips.
StreetPilot for Windows Phone
Easy-to-use Garmin navigation at your fingertips. Voice-prompted, turn-by-turn directions speak street names to your destination. Steer clear of delays with real-time traffic updates.

http://www8.garmin.com/apps/

GPS standalone is a dying industry - the GPS manufacturers are all moving into APPs and updates for them.

You can make a decision to stick with what you like but at the very least make an informed decision instead of one based on faulty information.

WHat don't you get about

a) not needing an internet connection

b) ANYTHING you can do on a dedicated GPS you can do on a smart phone with a GPS app.....period full stop.

I guess you missed what he said:
I think most GPS apps for smart phones that work offline have that functionality, but again, I personally do not want to be planning routes on a little screen.

As far as your point "b" above: how about find a poi in the pouring rain with wet gloves or in Death Valley when it is over 50c out?

..Tom

Before using a Montana 600 GPS I would have agreed about using a smartphone but since I can overlay satellite imagery, backroads mapbooks and Nuvi roads on the system, mount it knowing its waterproof, power it from AAs, from the bike or a lithium pack, use the screen with gloves on comfortably, see it in sunlight effortlessly and use it without data or cell phone tower fixes quickly I'm happy I bought it. Pricey yes....but it's not a jack of all trades device with inherent problems for the purpose it's designed for.

I use an old school method of looking at signs to see if there is gas indicated at an upcoming exit.

Yeah, as long as you never get off the highway, it's easy to just follow the signs.

I use an old school method of looking at signs to see if there is gas indicated at an upcoming exit.

That's great! Enjoy riding the 401!

..Tom

Most small towns will have gas stations along the main route. It's not like inner Mongolia.

What are these GPS things that you all are talking about? :)
This is Ontario, for Gawd's sake.
Become familiar with the useful range of your bike. Let's say it's 200kms.
Map your route, so that you are somewhere near any town at around the 160-180km point.
Easy Peasy.

What are these GPS things that you all are talking about? :)
This is Ontario, for Gawd's sake.
Become familiar with the useful range of your bike. Let's say it's 200kms.
Map your route, so that you are somewhere near any town at around the 160-180km point.
Easy Peasy.

I know the range of my bike quite well and yes, I know how to map a route to find closest gas stations to it...I was asking if there was an easier way other than picking a spot along the way and doing a "search nearby" function is all...it's all good... :)

I know the range of my bike quite well and yes, I know how to map a route to find closest gas stations to it...I was asking if there was an easier way other than picking a spot along the way and doing a "search nearby" function is all...it's all good... :)

Not a problem. :)
I don't have a GPS, probably never will.
So I do the, "if I think I can make it to the next town, I don't stop" or "if I am not sure, stop and get gas here".
I usually start keeping just part of one eye out for gas, once I get to around 1/2 tank. And since I get about 300kms to a tank of gas, that means I am stopping for a quick stretch break about every 1.5 hours anyway. Which is good in itself since I am old, eh. :)

I really don't see a problem for you. I have ridden that route on a number of occasions and there are gas stations galore.
If you are planning to get off the main highways like 11 or 69 you may possibly have a few problems.
Simple matter of making sure the tank is full before leaving the main road.

Back
Top Bottom