Helping police incognito | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helping police incognito

micelli.i

You walk, seeing something suspicious on a side street. Less than five minutes later, a police car passes along and you flag them down, telling them what you saw. They go in the direction you pointed and make a couple of arrests. You leave.

Can you be then tracked/called to testify against accused? I want to help, but don't want to get involved. Thanks.

If you don't give your name or identity or contact information, they don't have any way of finding you.

most cops know the witness will flake...so they don't count on it.. so they take time to witness the scene themselves, then make the arrest. ie,, you say the person is driving erratically... they follow till they notice the poor driving skills... and look into the cause..
not all crimes work this way.. and they realize that tooo... so they would have taken your Name and DOB pretty quick, if it was needed to ensure a charge would stick...
my 2 cents.. I have seen they know where to draw the line if the witness is needed pretty quick..

most cops know the witness will flake...so they don't count on it.. so they take time to witness the scene themselves, then make the arrest. ie,, you say the person is driving erratically... they follow till they notice the poor driving skills... and look into the cause..
not all crimes work this way.. and they realize that tooo... so they would have taken your Name and DOB pretty quick, if it was needed to ensure a charge would stick...
my 2 cents.. I have seen they know where to draw the line if the witness is needed pretty quick..

I think this is accurate.

I once called the police as I noticed some people stripping car (A) and putting the pieces into car (B). Car (A) - riced-out civic - appeared on the street the previous night, and the parts-fest was going on in broad daylight in front of my house. Was an easy collar as they were caught red-handed - I never heard a thing from the police afterwards.

You walk, seeing something suspicious on a side street. Less than five minutes later, a police car passes along and you flag them down, telling them what you saw. They go in the direction you pointed and make a couple of arrests. You leave.

Can you be then tracked/called to testify against accused? I want to help, but don't want to get involved. Thanks.

Confidential informant?

Confidential informant?

Confidential informant normally = an ESTABLISHED relationship between the informant and the police. the police list them as confidential informants so that they can continue to use the persons information ofr other cses in the future.

Unless you provided some form of indentifiers, Name, DOB, address, cell # etc, then there is no way of tracking you. As indicated unless it is an obvious, (like the car stripping), the officer will "observe" the suspects so that they can justify the arrest solely upon their observations.

I called 911 once, then I got involved because there was a record of my cell phone, so they could track me down. Two months later after the call, the police subpoena'ed me to go to court to testify. Another reason why I do not have a cell phone anymore (LoLz). Have I posted that story here? I guess it is safe to post details now (although I am not sure what happened at the end, so in all truth I do not have all the details).

http://globalnews.ca/news/80237/police-make-arrest-in-murder-of-retired-annex-dentist/

I called 911 once, then I got involved because there was a record of my cell phone, so they could track me down. Two months later after the call, the police subpoena'ed me to go to court to testify. Another reason why I do not have a cell phone anymore (LoLz). Have I posted that story here? I guess it is safe to post details now (although I am not sure what happened at the end, so in all truth I do not have all the details).

http://globalnews.ca/news/80237/police-make-arrest-in-murder-of-retired-annex-dentist/

If you feel comfortable sharing i'm interested

If you feel comfortable sharing i'm interested
Well, not a big deal. Maybe I posted this here, last year? I honestly cannot remember..

It was a Sunday at the ROM (Bloor and Avenue). When the museum closed (5pm), we went to the Green P across the street to get my car. Driving on Bloor, traffic was bumper to bumper. A tall guy with an angry face and two dogs on leashes jumped into the road in front of me, I almost hit him, he managed to stop. Then he crossed the road behind me.

Behind me, there was a silver BMW 5 suv. The driver yelled something to the pedestrian. I think it was something about cross at the light, buddy!
Before you know it, the pedestrian with the dogs made a u-turn and came back to challenge the driver of the SUV. And just like that, started beating him through the window of the car. It was a bad beating! The pedestrian was throwing punches in a frenzy, I could not see the driver of the SUV anymore, I think he was bending over his seat to avoid the blows.

Just like the OP posted, I want to help, but don't want to get involved. Or, I do not know how much involvement is OK. I moved to the side, called 911, cops came extremely quickly, I left..

Around two months later, the cops called me. http://www.citynews.ca/2009/11/27/police-looking-for-driver-following-murder-of-retired-dentist/

There is always someone with a cell phone and a distorted view of what happened calling.

Back in 09 I was taking my two dogs for a walk near the ROM and two cagers nearly killed me. Im just trying to get across the street for a coffee! One of them starts cussing at me from inside his car. Calling me silly names, and threatening me. Then he pulled me into his window and started beating himself with my hand.

Some cager who thought that he knew what happened called the cops and before I know if the media is all over the story.

There is always someone with a cell phone and a distorted view of what happened calling.

Back in 09 I was taking my two dogs for a walk near the ROM and two cagers nearly killed me. Im just trying to get across the street for a coffee! One of them starts cussing at me from inside his car. Calling me silly names, and threatening me. Then he pulled me into his window and started beating himself with my hand.

Some cager who thought that he knew what happened called the cops and before I know if the media is all over the story.

Oh boy!
So how are your dogs doing, anyway?
LoL

A detective interviewed me on the phone. Then, they sent me a supoena to go to testify to the preliminary hearing. I met with the detective and 2 prosecutors at the courthouse at College and Yonge. As you can imagine, they asked me all kind of questions, but did not give me almost any details.

At the preliminary hearing, the 'pedestrian' was there, in the box. He still looked angry. And also sad. He had gained a lot of weight. The cop warned me about that before going in, he said the guy would look different because he was doing a lot of drugs outside, and was skinny, but inside had to stop, and was gaining weight back.

Then, they scheduled me to go to court. Then, last minute, they cancelled it, saying that they were able to establish what they wanted to establish, using other evidence.

Oh boy!
So how are your dogs doing, anyway?
LoL

A detective interviewed me on the phone. Then, they sent me a supoena to go to testify to the preliminary hearing. I met with the detective and 2 prosecutors at the courthouse at College and Yonge. As you can imagine, they asked me all kind of questions, but did not give me almost any details.

At the preliminary hearing, the 'pedestrian' was there, in the box. He still looked angry. And also sad. He had gained a lot of weight. The cop warned me about that before going in, he said the guy would look different because he was doing a lot of drugs outside, and was skinny, but inside had to stop, and was gaining weight back.

Then, they scheduled me to go to court. Then, last minute, they cancelled it, saying that they were able to establish what they wanted to establish, using other evidence.

So...DDean are you still on drugs? lol :p

Thanks for the responses! Good to know.

Regarding the BMW story, I do not condone such acts, but there are times ... I remember crossing the street at a designated/marked pedestrian crossing, when I saw these two women in a bimmer. They wanted to make a right turn, but didn't bother waiting for me to finish crossing. Nearly took off my right knee. They started screaming, when they finally saw me, but then sped off. I was not impressed :/

You don't even have dogs, do you? :D:D

88591.jpg

I always hate that they ask for so much info when I call 911. I'm just trying to help people, not get involved. Why do you need to know my name, phone number, address, blood type, DNA records, just because I called you to say I saw a car on fire or something?

I would guess if something ended up being more serious then they had first thought, they could always go back to you for any details that they missed.

I kid above but have some personal experience with this. Ill keep the details private just in case the as$hat is on here, but years ago I saw some crazy stuff go down on the Gardiner and I called 911 to report what I thought that was a dangerous situation.

The cops called back for a phone interview and I recounted the story as if I had a cell phone video of the event. I remembered everything and it conflicted with the BS story provided by the individuals involved. They charged him and at that time I learned that this fine fellow was a menace to all on the road. I was glad that I was helping out this city deal with this clown.

Anyways, I was subpoenaed and the defense immediately dropped their not guilty plea once I showed up to testify. I didnt have to testify. It was over as soon as I arrived.

I felt good for doing my part and I can think of a few really nice breaks the cops have given me since. I dont know if they can see what I did when they pull up my license on the side of the road, but Ive been given breaks that was surprised I was given. If they cant see it I guess its karma.

My thought is that if its the right thing to do, try to do that. Sometimes it will bite you in the *** but you've still done the right thing.

I have called the police twice while observing a drunk driver on the road, really drunk...

Once you call, they immediately block your phone from any other calls, like 2 min later there was a police car following me as they asked me to follow the drunk driver at distance so they could identify their car and the moment they put the cherries on, the drunk driver stopped in the middle of the HWY ?!? this was going west on the 401 between just after hurontario at 2am New Years Day.

Nuts

Once you call (the police), they immediately block your phone from any other calls, like 2 min later there was a police car following me

can you explain,, ? you're saying you can't make/take a call as your phone is blocked by the police???

Back
Top Bottom