Fork alignment on install | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fork alignment on install

ANDRASTA

Hey guys,

I wanted to discuss the different methods used to align our forks when putting them back in. I just got the full race treatment on them and want them to go in perfect. So we have 3 horizontal planes and 2 vertical ones in all to consider when installing the forks. Anyone of those being off will knock all the others out i presume.

SO , what are your tried and tested methods? I have heard of a plate glass method as well but needed more explanation. Lets hear it....

I don't ride a race bike so this may be too casual: install them just a scootch loose in the upper and lower triple trees, install front wheel and axel, then tighten everything down somewhat more, then last time to torque spec. (I go by feel.)

I set the fork height at top clamp first. Tighten triple clamp bolts. Install wheel, hand tighten axle pinch bolts lightly. Point bike towards wall, upright. Repeatedly stroke thru the fork travel, do not use brakes to do this, use wall. This stroking should set the front axle space and fork alignment. Snug down stem nut, tighten top clamp bolts and axle pinch bolts. fwiw,ymmv etc. thats how I do it.

Thanks for the advise guys. Very informative write up on the bmw page and a great insight.

I think from everything that I have read the most important factor is that there is no binding at the front axle. Also due to machining factors one tube may be 1mm higher than the other in their locations which is ok as the difference is split by the two forks. But all in all the front axle should be super smooth and go in with the least amount of effort on the bottom plane.

I do like the idea of using the calipers as well.

**** man just put the forks back in , tighten the bolts. It's a 25 min job tops

This used to be my signature, but Chad didn't like it.

Dude, you just don't understand artisanal fork installation.

Thanks for the advise guys, just installed them last night. Axle slides through the bottom like butter and everything is aligned perfect. Right fork is 37.5mm above top plate and left came in at 38mm. Less than 1mm is acceptable. Put new bearings in. should be like brand new.

Holy crap. Ridiculously complicated is an understatement. As far as I can tell, this byzantine procedure was created so that the author could remove the fork legs without having to remove the fork tubes.... yes, that seems much easier

Back
Top Bottom