Tesla's Powerwall | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tesla's Powerwall

I grew up in a rural family off the grid, you don't freeze in the winter nor fry in the summer. Electricity was there for things that were required. I'm not advocating the lifestyle, there's a lot of reasons my immediate family got out of that deal. Dropping requirements in most houses is easier than people think, motion switches, unplug phantom power devices that use electricity when not on. Unplug clocks in rooms nobody is ever in, endless tools sitting on chargers forever. With anticipated electric bills going forward this will become the new norm. Not a real world example but sort of, I race long distance sailboat races, we used to have 5 12v batteries to run nav lights all night, instruments and onboard computers doing navigation, and a power hungry autopilot. With advances in tech in five yrs we have 2 12v batteries, LED everything and took 300lbs out of the boat (LED can use smaller wire and there is hundreds of ft). It will just keep getting better and electric is the future.

Gotta love the black and white mentality.

Who said anything to going back to middle ages like Amish? Read my post again. Reduce! Not abandon. I also love my porcelain throne, no way would i advocate going back to an outhouse.

Todays household has a 40" + TV in every room, the whole house has to be AC'd, 2 people living in 5000sqft mansions heating the whole damn thing to 30c, Hopping in the family SUV tank for a latte at the local starbucks, Lignting up your home all night like the Vegas strip. i could go on.

Convenience has become necessity in the eyes of an average person.

Take a M/C ride to Amish Ohio. Very peasant roads and cheap.

Talk to some of the Amish who live off the grid and see how they do it. Simply put they do without stuff we couldn't live without.

They look so peaceful in their buggies. Yeah in the spring and fall. They freeze in the winter and fry in the summer.

I was talking to one older Amish farmer and he commented that his wife was a good woman. However it bothered him that she wanted to visit her family every weekend and they lived THIRTEEN MILES away.

I wonder how an electric vehicle does stuck in a traffic jam in the heat of the summer or a deep freeze snow up to the axles winter traffic snarl. What's the range under those conditions?

Except free energy devices cant work.

Actually it does, but if you were one of the people that had that hidden information, and you tried to release it to the public slaves, you'd be dead before sunset.

Now getting back to producking some FREE electricity to power a couple things.
That rig i posted is putting out about 2000w of extra free energy, whats not free about it?

Noob indeed.

As for electric cars, if you plug your car into the grid to charge it, you are using just as much fossil fuel as i am, where do you think electricity comes from? Coal and Nuclear, both perfectly clean and safe eh? :rolleyes:

Actually it does, but if you were one of the people that had that hidden information, and you tried to release it to the public slaves, you'd be dead before sunset.

Now getting back to producking some FREE electricity to power a couple things.
That rig i posted is putting out about 2000w of extra free energy, whats not free about it?

Noob indeed.

As for electric cars, if you plug your car into the grid to charge it, you are using just as much fossil fuel as i am, where do you think electricity comes from? Coal and Nuclear, both perfectly clean and safe eh? :rolleyes:

I think he means perpetual energy devices but I understood what he was saying.

ce47baa23de9f5a44e385006fb411c00.jpg

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

ce47baa23de9f5a44e385006fb411c00.jpg

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"
I've heard about Tesla. The orb which makes your hair stand up is named after him.

Didn't Edison invented the lightbulb?

Didn't Edison invented the lightbulb?

Not sure but Edison made the first public display of the incandescent bulb. Before him if you invented something no light bulb went on above your head. We've come a long way.

Tesla imrpoved on the AC voltage to the point of mass consumption. Probably the number one thing which allows us to use electricity the way we do.

Direct current has issues with massive voltage drops over long runs. Why DC is inly used for small areas and vehicles.

He was also experimenting with the idea of current induction. His dream was to have towers transmitting inductive current which planes, cars etc would pick up and power electric engines.

He was also cooky in the head. After every bite of his meal he would wipe his mouth with a new napkin. Hes from the same town as my mom, Karlovac in Croatia. Ive been to his home.

Definitely deserves more praise than what hes getting.

Edison was known to steal patents, sue anyone who came even close to inventing something similar to his patents and was a huge player in the movie industry at the time. Him and his monopoly on movie cameras at the time was one of the reasons the movie industry moved to California. To be as far from Edison as possible.

Last edited:
Came across this video while browsing wimp.

Its a good review of the idea of the Powerwall.

http://www.youtube.com/user/wired/videos

Only thing i dont agree with is the price of the competitors.

Golf cart and industrial batteries are much, MUCH cheaper than the Powerwall.

For instance. A widely used battery for off-grid and solar charged systems is the Trojan T-105 flooded lead acid deep cycle battery. Its a 6V battery and at 100 hour discharge would provide 250 amp hours. Ohms law dictates that the faster we discharge a battery due to internal resistance we would get less amp hours. So lets use a more realistic 20 hour discharge rate. At that rate the specs show 225 amp hours. To get watts we multiply amp hours by voltage.

That single battery has 1.35kw of potential energy. So it would take just over 5 of these Trojan batteries to equal the same potential capacity as the 7kw power wall. Now, to have a proper setup you cant have 5 batteries but 6. Two in series to provide 12v, 3 of those pairs to provide additional capacity.

Cost of the Trojan T-105? About $170 dollars. or $1070 for the same capacity as the Powerwall.

I'm glad that Tesla is pushing its batteries to make their buying power of battery cells better and therefore lower their costs, but this has been on the market and widely used by lots of people. Nothing new.

Came across this video while browsing wimp.

Its a good review of the idea of the Powerwall.

http://www.youtube.com/user/wired/videos

Only thing i dont agree with is the price of the competitors.

Golf cart and industrial batteries are much, MUCH cheaper than the Powerwall.

For instance. A widely used battery for off-grid and solar charged systems is the Trojan T-105 flooded lead acid deep cycle battery. Its a 6V battery and at 100 hour discharge would provide 250 amp hours. Ohms law dictates that the faster we discharge a battery due to internal resistance we would get less amp hours. So lets use a more realistic 20 hour discharge rate. At that rate the specs show 225 amp hours. To get watts we multiply amp hours by voltage.

That single battery has 1.35kw of potential energy. So it would take just over 5 of these Trojan batteries to equal the same potential capacity as the 7kw power wall. Now, to have a proper setup you cant have 5 batteries but 6. Two in series to provide 12v, 3 of those pairs to provide additional capacity.

Cost of the Trojan T-105? About $170 dollars. or $1070 for the same capacity as the Powerwall.

I'm glad that Tesla is pushing its batteries to make their buying power of battery cells better and therefore lower their costs, but this has been on the market and widely used by lots of people. Nothing new.

What kind of battery charger would you need for this set up say if you were to do time shifting of your power consumption? Could you stick in one of those timers used for car block heaters?

If you wanted, yes.

Depending on how you wired you'd probably use a 12v 20 to 30amp charger. New ones are programmable on when, what amperage, what voltage etc you'd like to set.

...Didn't Edison invented the lightbulb?
Contrary to popular belief, Edison did not invent the light bulb; it had been around for a number of years. The electric lights at the time, however, were unreliable, expensive, and short-lived. Over twenty distinct efforts by other inventors the world over were already underway when Edison entered the light bulb invention race.

By creating a vacuum inside the bulb, finding the right filament to use, and running lower voltage through the bulb, Edison was able to achieve a light bulb that lasted for many hours. This was a substantial improvement, and one that led with more improvements, to making the light bulb practical and economical.

and it was his company that did the work....

If you wanted, yes.

Depending on how you wired you'd probably use a 12v 20 to 30amp charger. New ones are programmable on when, what amperage, what voltage etc you'd like to set.

ok so i couldn't use my float charger that only does 10amp...

In summer time we use 20-25 kWh a day, winter we peak at about 45kWh. Obviously a powerwall isn't going to meet my needs.

12v at 10 amps equals 120watts an hour. You're not going to be able to charge much with that. It would take 58 hours with that charger to bring the powerwall from empty to full.

Sorry dude, i dont see the big deal. Its just a battery bank. Those have been on the market in one form or another for a long time.

In fact in the new house i'm planning on having a battery bank fed by solar panels that will feed inverters. Automated switching station will use the battery bank during the day and top it off at night if the solar panels were not adequate enough. I'm not doing it to reduce my electric bill or try to save earth as much as have electricity if the grid goes down.

I love the nasty pictures at the beginning of the presentation. Showing big stacks with billowing smoke and fear mongering words....Cept that is steam, harmless. Most power plants use fossil fuels to generate steam which in turn spins turbines. Guess we're gonna see pictures of smoke stacks billowing smoke coming from Nuclear plants as well? If Tesla wanted to save earth they would have built a cost effective, cheap "peoples car", not cars that only the rich can afford.

You make a lot more money if you just feed back into the grid. Doesn't help when the grid goes down, though.

I think he means perpetual energy devices but I understood what he was saying.

both.. Perpetual energy devices cant work and neither can devices that produce more energy than are put in. The device in the video posted it what is commonly known as a self-loop generator they all claim to be over-unity.

The only thing that may be over-unity that I would ever consider being possible is NASA's new EM-drive but honestly I think its more likely that there is probably an as yet unknown law that covers it or of course the theory surrounding it is just wrong will have to wait a few year for the em-drive to be tested in space before we know for sure tho.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom