2 tickets in one shot. | GTAMotorcycle.com

2 tickets in one shot.

Matthew.Tremayne

So, a little while ago I got two ticket. 37 over (he paced me over a 700 meter stretch of road... AKA he hammered the gas and hit on the lights, NO RADAR) and failure to come to a complete stop. All of my wheels came to a complete stop, officer told me I have to stop for 3 seconds (he can't see through an 18 wheeler). I said he was wrong, he went to car and nailed me. I was doing 15 over and knew he was behind me. I knew it was a cop, didn't think he would nail me for 15..... It was a Durham Traffic guy. I sent in for early resolution. If they don't give me a good deal (like drop the fail to stop and give me a 15 over), I will fight it. Bad part is, traffic guys are always in court.... I need some solid advice, please and thank you.

Last edited:
I think their spedometers are calibrated on a regular basis. And I believe you are correct that you don't have to stop for 3 seconds. You do have to come to a complete stop tho.

Idea: Request disclosure, specifically for video evidence (police car dash cam).

Sorry to hear, but i'd be interested in hearing how this pans out. Please keep us updated.

If you get the cop to testify that you stopped thats all. refer back to hta outlining no such 3 second rule.

Therein lies the rub. The OP got a ticket for failure to stop. Do you think the cop will then testify that he did in fact stop? The cop will likely say that he did not see the bike stop.

Will keep this updated. The cop will never ever say that I stopped. I will try to fight this to the end.

Will keep this updated. The cop will never ever say that I stopped. I will try to fight this to the end.

Sometimes it really feels like the cops are out to get us... They literally just throw **** at us and hope something sticks to line their coffers. Maybe shift the focus away from road tickets, to unsafe vehicles and other major issues.

I really wish there were repercussions for BS tickets that cops give out. Even if you have video evidence proving the officer wrong.. it's a simple *woops my bad* .. onto the next victim.

** end rant **

Your defence may well hinge on this "3 seconds" issue. The law requires that you come to a complete stop and then only proceed after determining that it is safe to do so. No timeframe is mentioned in the law. The best description I've ever heard, with respect to coming to a complete stop, is for the wheels to not be turning and the weight be evenly distributed on both axles (in other words the suspension settled). If you can satisfy the safety aspect with a full stop of less than 1 second, then you have complied.

sucks to hear, i also wanna know what happens.

on a side note:
i don't think all cops are out to get us. that's like saying all riders don't obey the traffic laws. i've met pretty cool cops that have let me off, all i had to do was tell them my truth and be respectful when talking to them. had a durham cop stop me, said that i was doing 32km/h over the posted speed limit. he asked why i was going so fast and i told him honestly that i had to go to the bathroom. luckily, it was the main road right outside my neighborhood and he let me go home. dude was understanding and cool.

on a side note:
i don't think all cops are out to get us. that's like saying all riders don't obey the traffic laws. i've met pretty cool cops that have let me off, all i had to do was tell them my truth and be respectful when talking to them. had a durham cop stop me, said that i was doing 32km/h over the posted speed limit. he asked why i was going so fast and i told him honestly that i had to go to the bathroom. luckily, it was the main road right outside my neighborhood and he let me go home. dude was understanding and cool.

I know they are not all out to get us.... It's unfortunate that every encounter I have had has been brutal to say the least. So my sample of the police force is a little skewed.

on a side note:

Had the same thing happen in Milton, years back, at roughly the same speed over too. Officer pointed out that the area went from 80, to 60, to 50 in the space of maybe a Km and gave a warning. Then we sat at the side of the road and chatted bikes for 20 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom