People who took M2 test and never ridden before..... | GTAMotorcycle.com

People who took M2 test and never ridden before.....

Thegruntmin

How did it go? I am taking the learning curves safety course and then the M2. Its only a weekend. I was wondering if there were people who have never ridden before and taken the M2 test. I have ridden only once and that was a dirt bike for a couple hours a few years back.

The course is end of May and I am super excited, but a little nervous.

How was the experience for people who have never ridden before?

Course is geared towards getting you the skills over the weekend. Don't worry. Most are successful whether they have ridden before or not.

It's baby steps all weekend. This is a motorcycle. This is how to move a motorcycle around
This is how you get pushed on a motorcycle (establishes a bit of balance). This is how you start a motorcycle. This is what the clutch does. This is 1st gear, then second gear etc. By Sunday afternoon most will be second nature. You will repeat 1st/2nd gear skills hundreds of times over the weekend.

Keep your ears open and try, I doubt you will have an issue. All the schools are great, they are there to teach you.

Have fun!

You'll be considered advanced for the course, having been on a bike before.

I took the course (not exact same one as you) two weekends ago. I didn't have any riding experience prior and now I have my own bike and the confidence to ride. Although I still realize I have lots to learn but that only happens with time on the bike.

Like meme said, they start with the engines off for the few exercises, then they show you what to check on the bike before each ride. Then how to start the bike, how to get on the bike, how the gears work, how the clutch works etc etc. It's fool proof. Almost...we had a lady whiskey throttle into a parking barrier. lol

I took the course (not exact same one as you) two weekends ago. I didn't have any riding experience prior and now I have my own bike and the confidence to ride. Although I still realize I have lots to learn but that only happens with time on the bike.

Like meme said, they start with the engines off for the few exercises, then they show you what to check on the bike before each ride. Then how to start the bike, how to get on the bike, how the gears work, how the clutch works etc etc. It's fool proof. Almost...we had a lady whiskey throttle into a parking barrier. lol

Forgot the squeeze both levers?

i had about 7% prior experience on a bike before i did the m1 exit course. like what they've said before, it's all baby steps. all you need is an open ear and a willing attitude and you'll be great. good luck!

If you've ridden a bicycle and driven a car before you are good to go. If the car was manual transmission you are already done. It's a bicycle with a manual transmission.

If you've ridden a bicycle and driven a car before you are good to go. If the car was manual transmission you are already done. It's a bicycle with a manual transmission.

Remind me to never loan you my car.

Most of the people in my class had been riding since getting their M1, but I had only sat on a bike, so I'd say it is geared to those with little to no prior skill, aside from knowing how to ride a bicycle.

What was funny was doing the M2 Exit through RTI -- I did it via the course as I couldn't be bothered with the ministry, wanted a pass (it was end of season), and also wanted to correct any bad skills I had picked up. Anyhow, of the people in my course/group, very few had left the city limits/rode over 80km/h, and a few had just picked up a bike in the last week or month, because their M2 was about to expire. I remember how funny it was when we were told we'd be merging onto the Gardiner (and told to keep up with the traffic flow)...meanwhile I was at 100km/h on my 250 before I hit the apex in the ramp. lol

You will do fine. The hardest part will be the slow riding to be honest. Don't get frustrated and compare yourself to the other riders as well.

I never rode a bike before I took learning curves and they teach you everything from pushing someone on a bike to corners. Everyone learns at a different pace, and people in my class a few years ago that rode dirt bikes excelled on the course. I was one of the top people without having every rode a bike. They teach you everything, relax, no worries

Did the course and had never once been on a motorcycle. I was so nervous that I'd drop the bike or crash. Not to mention the course was done in November a couple years ago in a massive parking lot. A tad bit cold...

The course was great as you get to meet like minded people who want to learn how to ride. Help each other and listen to the instructors. The instructors were awesome and very helpful. They calmed my nerves down and were able to pass lots of people!

In the course I did allowed a re-test if you failed. If you failed and came back they allowed you to do a quick refresher with the instructors for about 30 mins before the tests.

I found the M2 test much easier compared to a drivers test. You don't have the test person beside you with their clip board. Just you, you're bike. The instructors doing the grading are off to the side.

But in the end I'm glad that I did the course. Learned lots of good tips and tricks. Already saved my life once while I was out on my 250 two years ago.

Best tip I can give is make sure you are well rested and if you can't hear the instructor, move closer. They are there to help you and the info they have will save your life. OH! And don't worry about how cool you look. There are a few people there who are in work gloves and safety boots.

Most of the people in my class had been riding since getting their M1, but I had only sat on a bike, so I'd say it is geared to those with little to no prior skill, aside from knowing how to ride a bicycle.

What was funny was doing the M2 Exit through RTI -- I did it via the course as I couldn't be bothered with the ministry, wanted a pass (it was end of season), and also wanted to correct any bad skills I had picked up. Anyhow, of the people in my course/group, very few had left the city limits/rode over 80km/h, and a few had just picked up a bike in the last week or month, because their M2 was about to expire. I remember how funny it was when we were told we'd be merging onto the Gardiner (and told to keep up with the traffic flow)...meanwhile I was at 100km/h on my 250 before I hit the apex in the ramp. lol

Isn't the ramp onto the Gardiner a sixty zone, which should be an automatic fail?
Something seems messed up in your story.

But yes many people get their M2, and then sit on it until it's about to expire.

But yes many people get their M2, and then sit on it until it's about to expire.

Guilty as charged. Luckily found a spot in Barrie for the end of the month. I do not recommend doing this.

When I had to get my Ontario M licence I went to Humber.
The notion of using a Manual Transmission was the concept that a lot of people have problem with because of the lack of driving with them here.

You'll be considered advanced for the course, having been on a bike before.

Exactly what Baggsy said! When I took the course @ R.T.I. the only marginally transferable experience I had was 1. Riding a Bicycle 2. Driving a manual transmisison car ... I'm not sure what the PASS rate overall, but in my session about 75% of the class PASSED and rode away with paperwork to up-size from M1 to M2.

Isn't the ramp onto the Gardiner a sixty zone, which should be an automatic fail?
Something seems messed up in your story.

It doesn't during the actual test (just the practice runs before)...but I I'm 99% sure the speed signs posted along ramps are recommended speeds. They are not the white & black speed limit signs you see on the road.

Back
Top Bottom