New rider - Toronto (1983 CB450SC) | GTAMotorcycle.com

New rider - Toronto (1983 CB450SC)

Srahome

Hi everyone. Picked up a new-to-me a 1983 CB450SC Nighthawk today. I was hunting for a CB since I owned and loved a CB100 for a few years in Bermuda. So happy to have another CB in front of my house. The 1983 runs a little rough and the tach is not working but I love the bike - the look and riding position are perfect. Taking it for safety this week so I can get it on the road. I've been searching GTAM re replacement tachs but haven't found much. Anyone know where I could find one (salvage OEM would be ideal). The stem in the back is broken off but the mechanical feed from the engine is working fine). Looking forward to more sunny days and commuting on my new CB.

Welcome!
Wheelie.gif

Welcome!
Try The Bike Yard. Contact info in the sticky for bike shops.

Hey and welcome. I was going to give u a cb550 tach but when i googled the ratios, yours is actually 5:1 where as mine is 20:3. Good luck. Post pic of your bike

Thanks everyone - what a great welcome. Here are a few pics (including when it was strapped into the back of our Honda Odyssey to get it home). Thanks for the offer of the tach too. I didn't know the ratios so that's very helpful too. I'll check out the Bike Yard.

Thats great. Welcome to GTAM! Congrats on the cb450sc, I have one as well I'm looking to get rid of, I'd love to see some more shots of it when you get a chance and maybe even what you payed for it if you don't mind telling us/ me. I don't know if you will be able to safety without the tach working. I love the pic in the back of the van.:headbang:

Congrats on your bike. For vintage parts try T.O. Cycle at 3773 Lakeshore. They have a ton of parts available.

The tach wasn't an issue an the bike passed safety without trouble. That's the good news. The not-sot-good news is that I took of the cam cover to try and identify an oil leak and overtorqued the cam cover bolt - sheared it off. Now I need to get a tap and dye set. I will call TO Cycle Salvage tomorrow to see if they have replacement bolt. Bummer - sidelined. I paid $1,400 - which, now that I've discovered I have an oil leak and some backfiring issues, may have been too much. The cams are super clean and the engine otherwise looks to be in great condition so I'm hoping an oil change and new cam cover bolt will have me back up and running.

Last edited:
Good luck with the repair and welcome to GTAm. Good to see another vintage nut here.

Back
Top Bottom