How high-milage is YOUR bike? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How high-milage is YOUR bike?

My CBR600F4i had 52xxx when I bought it in Oct/2014. Currently have 58xxx, and just had it on the road April of this year.

I have 85,000 km my 2002 and it's just nicely broken in. Other than routine maintenance, zero repairs. I met a guy in NY who had 395,000 miles on his ST1100, about 630,000 km and original everything except the carbs . A Iron Butt junkie, he said the slides were worn out and an e-bay replacement set cost him $200. I see many ST1100 's and ST1300's with well over 150,000 - 200,000 km on them and they are running very well with nothing other than routine oil, filters, tires, brakes etc......

I really do not have much time to ride as I am still working. I have a Russell Day Long Saddle and have done a number of 950km days, but these are more of an ordeal on the way home from a trip rather than a pleasure, not recommended. For long km day start early, stop often to stretch and make certain you are well hydrated. I get 425 - 450km a tank, but don't recommend you max out, stop every 2.0 to 2.5 hours.

Last edited:
Closing in on 50 000 km with the 650 Burg. I think the current record holder was somewhere over 100 000 miles. American riders really work those odometers.

Bought my 98 Gsxr in 06 with 12,000 on it, it's got 118,000 now. Lots of tires, tons of oil, two sets of plugs, a bunch of chains, and brakes. I put a fuel pump gasket on it a bunch of years ago and replaced a plug on one of the wiring harnesses. Other than that still runs great, had it dyno'd at around 90,000 and it made 121hp, 5 more than it did at 60,000 and 7 more than it did at 12,000

Stopped into Mackies today to chat with a pal that works there. Started talking to another one of the guys and he rides an '06 Electra Glide (I think?) and he just rolled over to 256,000km on it. 256!!! It absolutely blew me away, he's been to ever state and province in continental N.A.

It opened my eyes to what you can do on a bike, he said he's on his 3rd set of pistons and rings and second transmission. Something like 6 sets of rear shocks

Wow. Yet another reason I don't want a Harley. That seems to be an EXCESSIVE amount of repairs. He should have bought a Gold Wing or ST1300, he probably wouldn't have had to do the pistons and ring more than once, if at all and his transmission would probably have been fine. A friend of mine put 130,000 km on his VTX1300 before it needed a second pair of shocks. Met a guy at the bike show a few years ago with an ST1100 with 400,000+ km on it. He claimed to have done pistons once if I remember right. He said the bike was burning oil but that he was still planning several more IRON BUTT challenge on it before he retired the bike.

My father currently owns my old Virago 1100 that I bought new in '98. It has 94,000 km on it and aside from a swingarm baring, it has only ever needed routine maintenance. Valve adjustments, shaft oil changes, plugs etc.

I just passed a small milestone the other day on my RS125.
IY6lmZy.jpg

These bikes have more problems with infrequent use than high mileage. Who knows what the real mileage of older bikes around the GTA are, it was really, really common on old gear-cable driven odometers to unhook them around 20K and have 20k on them forever.

These bikes have more problems with infrequent use than high mileage. Who knows what the real mileage of older bikes around the GTA are, it was really, really common on old gear-cable driven odometers to unhook them around 20K and have 20k on them forever.
The ODO on my car keeps breaking but I keep trying to fix it because I need to know when to do the timing belt! (and change oil but that's less important)

Why bother unhook it when you can just rewind with your powerdrill?

What maintenances have you done so far? Did you have to rebuild the top end every 5000 miles?
It seized on the PO because they weren't jetted properly from the factory. The manual calls for a rebuild every 15000 km, if I recall correctly. Several people have told me they'd be surprised to see it make it that far.

Last edited:
Why bother unhook it when you can just rewind with your powerdrill?

I see you're back up on the bridge. Good work so far.

07 Ducati st3 80k going strong

Back
Top Bottom