Spark plug tool | GTAMotorcycle.com

Spark plug tool

heavygunner

Hi guys,

so my spark plug became loose and came out. The tip is kinda bent, I'm not sure if this means anything...

does anyone have a spark plug tool I can use. I'll buy you a coffee :) thank you

it's a 2004 Honda cbr 600rr. I'm located at bovaird/Kennedy or to be more precise , bovaird and Langston..

cheers

IMG_0177.jpgIMG_0176.jpg

Last edited:
Too far away to help, but just want to say that a spark plug getting so loose that it comes out is pretty bad. Who installed them?

It was stuck in the shoe/rubber tube. Don't know what it's called. I'm a newbie haha. But my friend installed them a few weeks back. The other three are fine. Just this one

What size do you need? 13/16 or 5/8 or 18mm?

+1 to who did the lame *** install?

Did the installer cross thread it? did the treads come out with the sparkplug? if so you have to heli coil it, if so YOU should take it to a shop. Its not a job for beginners.

Last edited:
Go to princess auto & buy one. Less than $10

What size do you need? 13/16 or 5/8 or 18mm?

+1 to who did the lame *** install?

Did the installer cross thread it? did the treads come out with the sparkplug? if so you have to heli coil it, if so YOU should take it to a shop. Its not a job for beginners.

Well I used a 5/8, still no luck. To be honest, i'm not sure if the installer did cross thread it or not. When it spark plug was pulled out, the threads didn't seem to be damaged.

I read up on the helicoil, thats to fix if the threads inside the cylinder are gone correct? Anyone have an idea how much that would cost to fix?

Well I used a 5/8, still no luck. To be honest, i'm not sure if the installer did cross thread it or not. When it spark plug was pulled out, the threads didn't seem to be damaged.

I read up on the helicoil, thats to fix if the threads inside the cylinder are gone correct? Anyone have an idea how much that would cost to fix?

A couple of hundred at the least.....for all the time, labour and parts needed to do the job

I still don't get how a plug became so lose that it came out, and if it did, it should have just be resting in the head area, so how did it get damaged/bent ?

plugs are screwed in by hand, not with a socket and handle, you can use the socket portion to help hold and assist in screwing it in, and once seated, then you use the handle and give it a 1/4 turn to tighten it in.....if you are just using your hands to get it started and seated you will never get a chance to cross thread a plug......

hope you get your issue resolved

A couple of hundred at the least.....for all the time, labour and parts needed to do the job

I still don't get how a plug became so lose that it came out, and if it did, it should have just be resting in the head area, so how did it get damaged/bent ?

plugs are screwed in by hand, not with a socket and handle, you can use the socket portion to help hold and assist in screwing it in, and once seated, then you use the handle and give it a 1/4 turn to tighten it in.....if you are just using your hands to get it started and seated you will never get a chance to cross thread a plug......

hope you get your issue resolved

Oh boy... I'm also trying to figure out how it became so loose after being installed a few weeks ago. I attached two pics to the post. Hopefully it will give you guys a better idea to what I'm talking about...

So the spark plug was in the boot when I took it out and not in the cylinder.

so hold on, your worried about the top part of the plug ? the end that the boot goes onto, no need to worry, just replace the plug

I don't see any issue on the plug in your other picture, well that I can see, the pic is a bit smallish and dark

How it became loose is a mystery as well, as the boot should have prevented it from spinning out of it's seat, but stranger things can happen

Last edited:
so hold on, your worried about the top part of the plug ? the end that the boot goes onto, no need to worry, just replace the plug

I don't see any issue on the plug in your other picture, well that I can see, the pic is a bit smallish and dark

How it became loose is a mystery as well, as the boot should have prevented it from spinning out of it's seat, but stranger things can happen

So I tried to hand tighten it. I feel like it sits but it just rotates in there. I also feel like I can feel some threads inside but I don't know why it doesn't catch the threads.

So I tried to hand tighten it. I feel like it sits but it just rotates in there. I also feel like I can feel some threads inside but I don't know why it doesn't catch the threads.

well if you hand tighten and it just spins then the threads in the head are probably stripped, can you visually inspect and see if you can see threads and the condition of them, if not, you have a bit of work ahead........

well if you hand tighten and it just spins then the threads in the head are probably stripped, can you visually inspect and see if you can see threads and the condition of them, if not, you have a bit of work ahead........

The best I can do is take a picture. I have attached the link where I uploaded the picture cause this site won't let me upload anymore..
I'm assuming if the threads are stripped, i would need to get it helicoiled? How long does it take to take the cylinder head off?

https://flic.kr/p/sa9yv3

I really appreciate all the fast responses and help!

how fast is all dependant how much has to be removed to get the head off....either way it seems it's not going to be a job for you to tackle on your own, then again taking things apart are easier than putting them back....

sometimes a helicoil repair can be done without removing the head but you really need to know someone who is really good at their job

my guess, since I don't know all that is required, would probably be in the range of a half days work for a good shop, and a whole day and a bit for your backyard mechanic....

just guessing....

the gasket doesnt look like it has crushed at all, did you not hear it leaking? you need to get this to a competant person or a mechanic to have a look and intall this plug and check the other 3. timeserts or coils can be installed without disassembly but not on all heads/engines especially 4 valve heads whose valves are in close prox to each other and to the plug hole. you need to take this to a pro, split the bill with your budd!! its a 5/8" socket.

Went to help this member out last night - there is no thread left in that head. Sorry about your luck

It's going to need a helicoil and 600rr motor points up towards the streeting neck. Might be best to drop the motor , helicoil it and put it back in after cleaning out the shavings

Bummer!

Thanks to freaky guy for putting experienced eyes on this.

I just want to thank everyone for all their help and insight and especially freaky guy for taking time out and taking a look at it.

I called around and Honda Ready Powersports said they can insert a Time-Sert. All of the other mechanics quoted me a ridiculous price. Now, i'm just trying to find a way to transport the bike there. If you guys know anyone who can transport the bike, please let me know. I'm not trying to spend too much as i'm a student and already getting kicked in the ***.

Thanks once again! I can post the results after it has been repaired.

I just want to thank everyone for all their help and insight and especially freaky guy for taking time out and taking a look at it.

I called around and Honda Ready Powersports said they can insert a Time-Sert. All of the other mechanics quoted me a ridiculous price. Now, i'm just trying to find a way to transport the bike there. If you guys know anyone who can transport the bike, please let me know. I'm not trying to spend too much as i'm a student and already getting kicked in the ***.

Thanks once again! I can post the results after it has been repaired.

Dont take it to a dealer they will rape you on labor, have someone on here do it. The same person you would pay to pick up your bike could bring it to their own place and do the work also for much cheaper

I could do if for you for cheap but not fast as I have alot on my plate at the moment, unless waiting a week or so and saving a couple hundred dollars at the same time works for you

Back
Top Bottom