what do you think is the best DOT race/track tire for a lightly wet track? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

what do you think is the best DOT race/track tire for a lightly wet track?

For a damp track on a Track day, the best tire is whichever tire that you have, wrapped in tire warmers, waiting for the track to dry.

Well I fitted Q3's to my track bike a few weeks ago & the first outing is at TMP this coming weekend (May 9th) so looking ahead at the forecast (60% chance of showers 5-10mm) looks like I may be wet weather testing them.

Well I fitted Q3's to my track bike a few weeks ago & the first outing is at TMP this coming weekend (May 9th) so looking ahead at the forecast (60% chance of showers 5-10mm) looks like I may be wet weather testing them.

Good luck...

You will be going faster going around in a parking lot, and it is free

At least its not going to snow, thats a positive......................isnt it?

I'm still hoping for a change in the weather, Saturday is 5 days away.

hmmm. wingboy says otherwise about TD & rain. wingboy, which trackday provider were you with that cancelled for rain?

i could see a TD being cancelled for heavy showers, but i think it would be fun to run in a light rain.

Last edited:
In 2013 we ran mosport big track in the rain quite a bit When it started pouring the gave us the boot,when it stopped we were back on, great practice for wet riding if u ask me. At the time I had pilot power2ct on the bike, only had 1 pucker moment. Seemed almost every track day I did that year at the big track it was wet for a lot of the day.

Did TMP add this day? I don't see it on their website.

I think a Q3 dunlop would be your best bet on a wet track or a light drizzle. There needs to be a lot of water on the track for rains or you'll burn them up. I've run on bogie when it was damp with slicks and it was good but that is a very grippy track. I have thought it would be interesting to run in the wet but unless you're racing is it really necessary. You can't run at your full potential as when it's dry and what's the point of risking binning the bike just to ride in the rain.

Did TMP add this day? I don't see it on their website.

Vintage day is sat at tmp

This used to be my signature, but Chad didn't like it.

GSXR Guy: Its a "vintageMCtrackdays" organised day although there are groups for modern bikes as well. I'm running a '91 ZX7 in the novice group as its my first track day for 8 years or so but my friend who I'm going down with is in the modern fast group, I think there was a link on here a while ago, there may still be places available.

Thanks for the advice guys & at 51 years old I aren't out to break any records; just have some fun again but I don't mind riding in the rain being English, I'm just not familiar with modern day tires :)
To be honest May 9th is more about me proving the bike out after its winter re-build & I'll be pretty damn slow come rain or shine.

The following Saturday I'll be on the Intro to Track day down at TMP.

They do, I haven't been to one that they've cancelled because it was wet.

Me either, other than the usual *** pucker to hold you to the seat it's a nice casual ride and the track is pretty much empty too.....typically just called off for a heavy downpour or lightning.

hmmm. wingboy says otherwise about TD & rain. wingboy, which trackday provider were you with that cancelled for rain?

i could see a TD being cancelled for heavy showers, but i think it would be fun to run in a light rain.

TMP cancelled twice on me years ago.The DOCC closed the track at Mosport a few years,but there was puddling coming out of t5.

Back
Top Bottom