Stolen Licence Plate | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stolen Licence Plate

arekzjawin

Hello there. A couple of weeks ago my plate was stolen. I am not sure if I noticed it the same day, or if it was gone for a few days, when I noticed. I have reported it to Police once I noticed and I have a report number. Do I need to do anything more? Contact MTO?

Just take the report from the police to the MTO and make sure it is listed as stolen, then get your new one

Sure it was stolen? Didn't vibrate/fall off?

So for those who do not know, when a replacement plate is requested Service Ontario has a form that is to be filled by a Police Officer (SO needs that form to release new plates).
If the plate was stolen in one municipality and it was reported there, the Service Ontario form can be signed by a police office from a different jurisdiction.
Some police stations might have the form already rubber stamped for pickup (this saves you a trip to Service Ontario).
Such form has to be brought to Service Ontario and a full price for the plate is to be paid (no discount for stolen replacement).

If I find the person who took my plates, I will kindly request the replacement cost ($25 or so) back! :)

So for those who do not know, when a replacement plate is requested Service Ontario has a form that is to be filled by a Police Officer (SO needs that form to release new plates).
If the plate was stolen in one municipality and it was reported there, the Service Ontario form can be signed by a police office from a different jurisdiction.
Some police stations might have the form already rubber stamped for pickup (this saves you a trip to Service Ontario).
Such form has to be brought to Service Ontario and a full price for the plate is to be paid (no discount for stolen replacement).

If I find the person who took my plates, I will kindly request the replacement cost ($25 or so) back! :)

Don't forget to add your "victim surcharge" to the bill when presenting it to the accused in what I am sure will be a civil and courteous manner....lol

Just curious where was the bike when plate was stolen?

Is this a must to get the replacement plates? About five years ago a company vehicle had it's plates stolen; when I went to Service Ontario office I simply had to present a Police Incident Number to get the new plates.

This year they started early. Again my plate was stolen. I could not believe it. Oh man, some people... At least I know what to do now.
Same place? Same bike?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Same Bike, same place. My neighbor has learnt the first time and has been taking his plates off since. I, on the other hand, believe in humanity...
People suck.

How are you attaching the plate?
Maybe it's time to look at alternative bolt/nut options? Maybe even some locktite? or weld the thing on to a metal plate?

Obviously the correct answer is to move somewhere else. :D

I will look for unique bolt nut. But I can not see how I would be able to prevent anyone from stealing it in the future. If I will not find anything, I will look into getting earth magnets and having it pop out.
The sad part is that there are some 'bikers' that are too dumb to come up with something smarter than stealing. I am not sure how does it work from the enforcement perspective, but stealing a plate is stealing government property, and I imagine that, once caught, the penalties are harsher than simply riding without a plate.

About the latter suggestion... I am working on it.

I'd suggest screws like these. http://www.losspreventionfasteners.com/automotive/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for that link. I guess they would have to buy the right adapter to steal them, but anything to make it harder for them, right? Bonus: no annoying license plate frames on your car from the dealer.

No problem! Microsoft uses those screws (smaller ones) for their controllers. If you go that route don't lose the adapter ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom