Trailer restraint systems | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trailer restraint systems

smudger

Just did a search on this topic & nothing came back so seeing as trailers seem to be the hot topic lately I thought I'd ask "What trailer restraint systems is everyone using?"
This is my first season & I will be hauling a single bike in a U-Haul 5' x 8' open (hate that corrugated floor) or 5' x 8' U-Haul enclosed trailer unit for the first half of this year until I can purchase my own 5' x 8' enclosed unit later this summer.
Securing a bike for transport is completey new to me, something I've never had to do in my life until I bought the ZX7 in October last year & then I didnt do a great job of strapping it down, damaging the fairing.
I will be travelling to track days 99% of the time on my own so ease of use is important to me.
The systems I know of are:

• Tie Downs: thats how I brought my bike back from Toronto to Guelph but I did crack the upper OEM fairing by overtightening one & it seems like a "black art" to me & very difficult to do on your own.
  • Pit Bull trailer restraint system: Anyone using these? How do they fix to trailer floor?
  • Baxley Sport Chock: again - Anyone using these? How do they fix to trailer floor? Do they even have to be bolted to the trailer floor?
  • KYA racing straps: These look good but again, ease of use on your own, I'm not so sure - http://www.kyaracing.com.au/road_tyre_down.htm
  • What other systems is everyone using?

Have to admit that safely securing the bike for transport with out damaging anything on the bike is the biggest stresser for me personally.
Smudger

U-Haul has a policy that says you won't put a vehicle in their enclosed trailers. Better read the fine print.

As for tie-downs, they're easy once you get the hang of it - also use the self tailing ratchets, as you won't have to mess with getting the length correct etc.
If you plan on using them, I strongly suggest Canyon Dancer handlebar tie downs for the front end. They're all of $30 too.

I have a Princess Auto wheel chock, bolted to a board in my pickup truck. Board is big enough so that it doesn't slide side to side etc. Load bike, attach front straps via canyon dancers, hook a second set of straps to the sub frame. Done. Whole process including putting ramps in place and then stowing on truck etc takes me 10 minutes.

Pitbull TRS is he popular choice, MOTO-D also came out with a similar product recently. I personally use a PA wheel chock, canyon dancers and two straps and the chock is not bolted down.

The Pitbull TRS needs to be bolted down to the trailer floor, it does not suit your purpose until you get a trailer of your own.

Pitbull is always the best (very expensive option) but it won't work with Uhaul since it isn't your trailer.

Use good tie downs, I always use electrict tape around the endings so it does not come lose. Also if you can, buy a PA wheel chock, it will make it really easy to load and unload on your own, can also be used while at the track specially if you are not using tire warmers
Just did a search on this topic & nothing came back so seeing as trailers seem to be the hot topic lately I thought I'd ask "What trailer restraint systems is everyone using?"
This is my first season & I will be hauling a single bike in a U-Haul 5' x 8' open (hate that corrugated floor) or 5' x 8' U-Haul enclosed trailer unit for the first half of this year until I can purchase my own 5' x 8' enclosed unit later this summer.
Securing a bike for transport is completey new to me, something I've never had to do in my life until I bought the ZX7 in October last year & then I didnt do a great job of strapping it down, damaging the fairing.
I will be travelling to track days 99% of the time on my own so ease of use is important to me.
The systems I know of are:

• Tie Downs: thats how I brought my bike back from Toronto to Guelph but I did crack the upper OEM fairing by overtightening one & it seems like a "black art" to me & very difficult to do on your own.
  • Pit Bull trailer restraint system: Anyone using these? How do they fix to trailer floor?
  • Baxley Sport Chock: again - Anyone using these? How do they fix to trailer floor? Do they even have to be bolted to the trailer floor?
  • KYA racing straps: These look good but again, ease of use on your own, I'm not so sure - http://www.kyaracing.com.au/road_tyre_down.htm
  • What other systems is everyone using?

Have to admit that safely securing the bike for transport with out damaging anything on the bike is the biggest stresser for me personally.
Smudger

Last edited:
Thanks B.E.D, I thought I'd heard mention of that about U-Haul enclosed trailers so I'm sure I'll be fine with one of their open units plus your current set up might well work for me as the bike is held upright once its rolled into the wheel chock so you can put the straps on & I like the idea of bolting the chock to a plank just a little narrower than the trailer sides.
I'm thinking you dont put any straps on the rear of the bike with your set up?

You are right Mina, the Pitbull system looks awesome but its something that will have to wait until I get my own trailer if it needs bolting down.

No rear pegs on my track bike but you get the idea.
Just the wheel chock, canyon dancer and two straps.

17330452862_b1334de12a_z.jpg

I will always put 4 straps, just makes me feel better to know the straps are pulling in 4 directions instead of just 2 at the front

1511653_10151813991036191_1182123069_o.jpg

I have secured bikes a few times. I brought my vfr back from California on the back of a pickup. No chock, don't do it. It was fine but it never really looks secure. I have a baxley chock it works very well. I also have a princess auto one its not as good but can't be beat for the price. I would buy it again. Canyon dancer is a must keeps the straps away from body work. I brought my two aprillias back from New Jersey in the back of a pickup with these two chocks and a canyon dancer and they were very secure. Never once worried about them back there.

For a rental trailer, I don't believe Pitbulls are an option.

For tying it down, here's my thoughts:

Use soft loops to connect to the bike rather than canyon dancers. I had a clip-on twist from the force the canyon dancer exerts on the grips. I've had zero issues when securing front of bike with soft loops... and they're around $10 for a set. I tie them around my lower triple.

Use a good ratcheting strap. I've used everything from cam straps to cheap ratchet straps, to good quality ratchet straps. The good ones do not back of any. The brand I use are Kinedyne.

Using a wheel chock to stabalize the front wheel is better than just putting tire up against front of trailer (if that's even an option). Not having a chock still works though. I generally don't use a chock.

Have the angle of the front straps symetrical. Same with the rear.

Don't over tighten the straps. 1/3rd - 1/2 of the suspension travel is adequate. Crank the suspension all the way and you may have leaky fork seals shortly after. I know this from experience.

I find for the rear, it's better to secure from the tail section than the swing-arm or wheel. Squatting the suspension (again, no more than 1/2 way) was more secure for me. Passenger peg area is a good option. I've never bent the pegs or had issues securing to them.

Tie up the loose ends of the straps and you're good to go.

Another trick I do before securing rear of bike is lifting and spinning the rear wheel backwards until the transmission slack is taken up.

I use this same securing method with the R6 and fairings. No issues with bodywork. Solid as a rock. Notice how much (or little) the forks are compressed.

fz.jpg

Last edited:
You can bolt the pit bull to a piece of ply wood 4x8x3/4. . Now you can use it in a u haul or pickup. When you get a trailer remove the plate from plywood and install in trailer.

You can bolt the pit bull to a piece of ply wood 4x8x3/4. . Now you can use it in a u haul or pickup. When you get a trailer remove the plate from plywood and install in trailer.

You would still need to secure the plywood somehow though, no? I don't see how else it would prevent **** from just falling over or whatever, unless you are talking a big sheet of plywood, like 4'x8' or something.

Somthing like a 4x8 sheet?? Lol.

You should still use a couple straps to hold down the bike or another way to secure the sheet of wood. If the trailer/vehicle ever flipped the cargo wouldn't stay in the desired location.

My setup is simple and robust.

1. Canyon dancers & regular loop straps.
2. Wheel chocks
3. Good tie down points.

Two straps up front, and two straps out back. The straps need to be taught - do not reef down, yes I use ratchet straps. If you are worried about over compressing forks - use friction straps.

ALWAYS loop the mechanism closed, so in case the ratchet / mech fails -there is a choke around it.

The wheel chock makes is much easier to strap and load / unload a bikes. Also triangulate your strapping, this way the bike can move around a bit without putting huge loads on the straps.

If you want to swing by - i'm more than happy to show you how to strap stuff down.

Buy your self a set of soft ties. They make attaching strap hooks much easier and secure....plus you can wrap them around things that the hook won't, like around the triple clamp inside of a fork tube etc.

2011-moose-racing-motorcycle-soft-ties-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom