Insurance on father's bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance on father's bike

inigo

So I would love to be able to ride my dads 72 BMW R75. He's cool with it but his insurance isn't (riders plus). It would be very occasionally when i visit him. (he lives outside the city, I'm downtown) what are my options? I turn 20 in august. M2

His insurance can be renewed or cancelled in july. Do i need my own policy or can I ride on his if he switches to Jevco or the like?

Insurance is in the name of the bike owner. Some policies cover occasional non residential drivers over 25. If you want to be covered, he probably has to switch ins. and add you to the policy...at a premium of course.

his insurance isnt cool with it because you are uninsurable by them or what? Are you sure it'll be very occasional? Once every 3-4 months or 3-4x a month? Are you trying to use your father as the primary to scam insurance? Do the right thing. If you are going to have the access more common than not then it would be best to have both of you insured.

You father's policy probably has a restriction on it that all riders must be over 25. If you ride it you are not insured if you are only 20

I have insurance on an 1983 gpz with the personal me as primary. Added my son to the policy who was 18 at the time with an M2, no premium increase.

Riders Plus is very selective of who they take. Older riders, non Super Sport motorcycles, etc.

You're out of luck kid. Save up and get your own ride.

To protect their business the broker (RP) is going to discourage anything of risk even if it is completely legal. If they bring a lot of trashy business to the companies they represent it could have negative repercussions.

If the father has a history with this bike and doesn't intend for the OP to do more than the occasional ride this isn't the usual "Put it in dad's name" scam.

1) Go over the insurance policy looking for any general exclusions, particularly age related but also M-2. If it says no one under 25 or other exclusion you're not covered.

The really grey area of this is whether or not the OP is a resident in his dad's home because it is assumed that any licensed resident will have access to the keys and will to some degree drive the vehicle.

Does junior live and work downtown or is he going to school and temporarily living in res?

What does it say on his driver's license?

How far away is dad's place? Richmond Hill or Wawa?

If it came to a lawsuit the answers to those types of questions would form the courts definition of resident. The insurance company will have their definitions already set and they may differ from the court.

It's an interesting question. When does a regular visitor become a resident?

I would assume your legal residence is the same as your father. The insurance agent or broker likely asked if there was anyone else in the household with a valid m class licence.

Even if you are going to school and in residence, you are still considered a household resident with your father.

The insurance company has probably stated they can provide coverage at an additional cost or exclude you.

If you decide to ride the bike, you could lack coverage and impact your fathers future insurance premium for all vehicles.

It's simply not worth the hassle.

I would assume your legal residence is the same as your father. The insurance agent or broker likely asked if there was anyone else in the household with a valid m class licence.

Even if you are going to school and in residence, you are still considered a household resident with your father.

The insurance company has probably stated they can provide coverage at an additional cost or exclude you.

If you decide to ride the bike, you could lack coverage and impact your fathers future insurance premium for all vehicles.

It's simply not worth the hassle.
Why would insurance consider him living with his father if he doesn't live with his father? That seems silly.

I always presumed you could lend your vehicle to whoever as long as they don't live with you. If they live with you they have to be an occasional driver on the policy. I guess there may be that requirement that all riders be over a certain age, as someone else mentioned.

Why would insurance consider him living with his father if he doesn't live with his father? That seems silly.

I always presumed you could lend your vehicle to whoever as long as they don't live with you. If they live with you they have to be an occasional driver on the policy. I guess there may be that requirement that all riders be over a certain age, as someone else mentioned.

Students in residence are treated differently. Residence isn't consider a "permanent residence"

Back
Top Bottom