Has anyone tried the Sena Technologies 20S Bluetooth Communication System | GTAMotorcycle.com

Has anyone tried the Sena Technologies 20S Bluetooth Communication System

Hey guys,
Is anyone familiar with this multimedia set or know anyone who has tried this system? Music is really important to me and I don't think i'd be happy with the 44khz sample rate of the Sena 10's.
Is there anything else that you would recommend?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/66282/i/sena-technologies-20s-bluetooth-communication-system

Thank you,

I have one. I upgraded from the Sena SMH10 Which I used from the first generation one. (about 5 years) The 20S is more of a Cross grade. I think the Audio maybe similar to SMH10. Before they did an upgrade it was a lot quieter. What do you mean 44khz ? Isnt that the considered pretty good frequency? A lot of riders replaced the speakers with better ones. Check the Sena community forums for this information. Unless you're getting a super super deal, I would stay with the SMH10. That one have been bullet proof since they came out and hasnt ever had any quailty issues like the 20S have. Check the threads on ADV Rider, and other forums.

Hello Baggsy,
That's the device I was asking about, thank you for making the link. My search failed me when I checked the site the first time, I need to be more vague with my searches.

Hey Kiwi,
I have a friend who's a sound engineer and he told me that it wasn't a good frequency (he's a audiophile).
I like that they've made upgrades as they've gone along, thank you for the feedback. I'll keep you informed as I work through the process.

I don't think you're going to notice the sample rate when the wind is rushing over your helmet at 120 km/h and your engine and exhaust are giving it in unison underneath you...
Excellent point, thank you for sharing your experience. It's starting to seem a lot less important now.

Incase anyone would like to know the 10's appear to be a clear winner so far as it's half the price and has great functionality.
SMH10 is programmed to manage various connection types in a very specific order. Below is SMH10's function priority list.
  1. HSP/HFP (Phone or GPS audio guidance**)
  2. Intercom (Communication between SMH10s)
  3. Stereo music by audio cable through MP3 jack of the SMH10
  4. A2DP (wireless stereo music)
Higher priority function will always interrupt active lower priority function. However, upon termination of higher priority function, SMH10 will automatically return to previously active lower priority function.
**Typically, set up involving motorcycle GPS navigation system, phone will be connected to GPS; thus, GPS will regulate priority of phone and navigation audio. Most of GPS navigation systems put phone as higher priority function than guidance of GPS navigation audio.
*fixed the text colour*

Last edited:
Anyone rocking the 20s and loving it? Sounds like the reviews are 50/50 on the haters and lovers. Just want someone that has one to let me know if the construction is poor or it's worth it.

Anyone rocking the 20s and loving it? Sounds like the reviews are 50/50 on the haters and lovers. Just want someone that has one to let me know if the construction is poor or it's worth it.

Since I got the speakers in the sweet spot in the helmet the 20s is much better. Very good sound quality and volume. Just got to sort out the tap to voice control business. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I like using the app to set connections etc. I connect to another rider on a smh10 so limited by their range. It's good but if I was paying msrp I'd go with the smh10.
Its not Enough of an upgrade to warrant the price.

Well I picked it up at royal this afternoon. I thought I would take advantage of the no tax sale. I bought the dual pack. Splitting it with a buddy so works out to $275 each.

I will give you my thoughts on it after I get some use out of it.

Too late since you bought it but my experience has been very negative, random shutoff, changing modes, now dead battery for no reason etc. When it works it is fantastic but it seems like it doesn't work more than it works. I would not buy again.

Too late since you bought it but my experience has been very negative, random shutoff, changing modes, now dead battery for no reason etc. When it works it is fantastic but it seems like it doesn't work more than it works. I would not buy again.

Yah a little late. Well hopefully I don't have the same problems. I read on other forums if you have issues with it, Sena will fix or replace it for you.

I don't think you're going to notice the sample rate when the wind is rushing over your helmet at 120 km/h and your engine and exhaust are giving it in unison underneath you...

Use your system in conjuction with In Ear Monitors instead of helmet speakers and you will hear your music with flawless sound even if you drive an obnoxious bike like me. details on my IEM setup can be found here:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?189700-Costco-and-Hearsmart-Solutions

I use in combination with: http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider

Have no problems (wind, engine, exhaust) with music or phone sound and the IEMs also save me from permanent hearing damage from my crazy pipes

Well I picked it up at royal this afternoon. I thought I would take advantage of the no tax sale. I bought the dual pack. Splitting it with a buddy so works out to $275 each.

I will give you my thoughts on it after I get some use out of it.

I have owned the SMH10 for 5 years and have few complaints so far. Was thinking about upgrading but definitely don't like the price. Bought a dual set at Americade (5 years ago) for $200 US no tax. Can't justify the upgrade with all of the problems have been reading and the huge price.

Use your system in conjuction with In Ear Monitors instead of helmet speakers and you will hear your music with flawless sound even if you drive an obnoxious bike like me. details on my IEM setup can be found here:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?189700-Costco-and-Hearsmart-Solutions

Have no problems (wind, engine, exhaust) with music or phone sound and the IEMs also save me from permanent hearing damage from my crazy pipes

Thanks for all the feedback,
I bought the SMH 10's and will let you know how it goes.

Can you specify the cable length? I'd want to use these on trackdays and aggressive twisty riding. I have a paranoia of the wires catching something in the event of an oopsies and doing some major damage to my ears or head.

Also how's the sound quality compared to something like Shure's SE215.

Last edited:

I have the exact same issues. Got replacement units, and they completely died during our Myrtle Beach trip. Not impressed after dropping 480 for a pair.

Back
Top Bottom