Filter to front at red light | GTAMotorcycle.com

Filter to front at red light

Elite80

Site Supporter
I realize that lane filtering/splitting is not allowed in Ontario.

But technically one can occupy any part of a lane. Would it be illegal to "filter" to the front at a red light when all traffic is stopped?
I feel like I would rather be up at the front than behind a car just waiting to get rear ended by an inattentive driver.

At the end of the day you are responsible for your own safety. Do what you must to be safe. If you get a ticket, you can consider it cheaper than rehab.. lol

Riding isn't for everyone. Maybe parachuting is more your sport?

If you're ever going to do it, don't stall, and don't cut in front of someone with a camera.

Even then, It would be awfully easy for them to say that you'd cut in front and stopped, just as they were pulling away from the light. Since you might have a concussion and not remember, and the witnesses are in cages and may not have seen it all . . .

Today i was stopped at a red light behind 2 cars. I filtered to get ahead of the car. Cop pulls up in the turn lane and tells me to pull over.

While she didn't issue me a ticket. Her reasoning was that you should treat your vehicle like a car and try not to do things that cars can't. Anyways she said she could have issued me a unsafe lane change ticket.

you got lucky

Though... if you go up the parking "lane", you might get away with it more. But still avoid doing it when a cop is present, just in case. ;)

Kinda the same way this cyclist is doing...'cept faster.
[video=youtube;umZgUhcSif8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=umZgUhcSif8[/video]

Last edited:
Don't mean to hijack the thread here, but are cyclists allowed to do this?

It was my first time driving downtown a couple days ago and I was first in line at a red about to make a right and a cyclist cut to my right in front of me and passed me.

Pretty much if I wasn't paying attention I would have hit him had I gone and committed to my right turn.

Are they allowed to do that?

Cyclists and ebike fockers can get away with a lot more than a scooter can, which gets away with a lot more than a motorcycle can.

If you must, filter in the parked car lane very slowly (as someone said above). Sometimes the quickest way home is the one that has parking all the way because you can proceed slowly while you would be forced to be stopped otherwise.

It was my first time driving downtown a couple days ago and I was first in line at a red about to make a right and a cyclist cut to my right in front of me and passed me.

Pretty much if I wasn't paying attention I would have hit him had I gone and committed to my right turn.

Nope, they are not allowed at all. They are a vehicle on the road and have to follow the same rules as us. However for some reason, society has allowed it and has become acceptable. That being said if you did hit that cyclist, as long as they weren't in a bike lane, they would be 100% at fault.

There are literally like 3 active threads on this very topic already and probably a thousand old ones. Did we really need another?

Are the filter/lane splitting threads the new "Wave" thread??? Havent there been like 5 threads on this started already this year FFS? I think Im in a grumpy mood today.. lol

Are the filter/lane splitting threads the new "Wave" thread??? Havent there been like 5 threads on this started already this year FFS? I think Im in a grumpy mood today.. lol

Rather than bother the Government about it, people who want it feel that they will get more sympathy here.

Let me present a scenario to you:

Lets say I'm in a car, and I see you filtering. Lets also say I'm in a really bad mood and a complete *** hat. I intentionally open the door to knock you off your bike. Your bike is how now between my door and the car next to me. We call the cops. I tell the cops some ******** excuse and that I didn't see you coming because I don't expect a bike to be filtering. You tell your side.

Guess who will 99% be at fault?

I used to filter, still occasionally do if there are 4 cars and I see the ****** in front leaving a car length between a car or the line before the lights. However, I will never filter down a large line for the above reason. As much as I'd love to beat the ******* in the above scenario senseless (I've had it happen before, not the crash part), your chances of winning lawfully are very low. There is also the chance the cop may charge you under HTA172.

Don't do it.

It's not allowed, but cyclists can get away with a lot more than a motorcycle or a car.

Having said that, I wish people had better awareness so they don't cut off cars trying to turn right.

Edit: Wait, on the right? I think on the right is fine.

I found this video on a different forum a while back:
[video=youtube;qLBHFfJHTkM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLBHFfJHTkM[/video]

Last edited:
It's not allowed, but cyclists can get away with a lot more than a motorcycle or a car.

Having said that, I wish people had better awareness so they don't cut off cars trying to turn right.

Edit: Wait, on the right? I think on the right is fine.

I found this video on a different forum a while back:
[video=youtube;qLBHFfJHTkM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLBHFfJHTkM[/video]

I've ve taken that route on a bike.

No wonder motorists were treating me like they did.

How many red lights did this person run?

Back
Top Bottom