I bought a bike but now what ? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

I bought a bike but now what ?

If people keep obviously evading this tax, it's only a matter of time before they start assigning values. But, the only reason why used private sale vehicles have any taxes at all was lobbying from the dealership industry.

Welcome to capitalism. When you got stupid law dont expect everyone to follow.

Im confused .... Did i have to use special gateway to post on here? Ai yay yike.... This is called the dark web ....

latest

TBH GTM is the Darkest of webs

There is no book value on bikes and you can register whatever amount that you want from 1 cent to 1 million and you will be charged accordingly for tax. Having said that, on cars, there is and got screwed by them a couple of years ago... paid 10 grand for a car which was the real purchase price and they made me pay tax on $13,500. Nice!!! So, it goes both ways..

There is no book value on bikes and you can register whatever amount that you want from 1 cent to 1 million and you will be charged accordingly for tax. Having said that, on cars, there is and got screwed by them a couple of years ago... paid 10 grand for a car which was the real purchase price and they made me pay tax on $13,500. Nice!!! So, it goes both ways..

Tell me.about it. I cant even give my.car to a homeless because he cant afford tax. I wonder if they tax my old sweater i donate to homeless .... Hmmm

Well the Ontario rule is you have to have m2 at least 4 yrs to register as the owner/rider. You can let me ride it for you and i will help you to register it.

PM is the key.

ummm. no.

EDIT: Nvm....

Last edited:
I bought a bike off someone from kijiji. He gave me a UVIP and other documents. I have never purchased a vehicles before & have a few questions on how to get it all ready for road now.

1. Can I just register the bike without a safety & insurance ? I was thinking of getting safety done & get insurance later after I transfer the ownership title to my name.

2. How much $$ should I put on the amount I paid for the bike in the document. I know I have to pay tax on the purchase price, Can I just put $1 on it & is there gonna be any implications with the insurance company while making a claim if I just put $1 ?

Thank you for replying :p

I thought the tax on vehicles is whichever of the below 2 is the higher price:

1. the price you paid for it
2. the wholesale price of the vehicle from bluebook or whatever

I thought the tax on vehicles is whichever of the below 2 is the higher price:

1. the price you paid for it
2. the wholesale price of the vehicle from bluebook or whatever
There is no "blue book" for bikes

1) You can get the ownership changed without insurance or a safety but you wont get a plate and a sticker. Like others have mentioned later in the thread with the insurance you can get a plate and a temp sticker from the Moto so you can drive for the safety.

So I was under the impression that this was fact.. but when I recently (a week ago) went into ServiceOntario, the lady told me I HAD to have my bike already FIT to get a temporary licence sticker... on the website http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/register-vehicle-permit-licence-plate-and-sticker

It says "A temporary licence plate sticker lets you drive your vehicle to a garage (for safety standards certificate or Drive Clean test etc.) to complete the requirements for a licence plate sticker and for other necessary short-term transportation purposes."

But when you click the link right under it http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/temporary-licence-plate-sticker on that page it says you NEED to bring the vehicle permit stating that the vehicle is fit.

It just dawned on me as I was typing this that this is referring to the previous owner's permit which stated that the bike was fit? *edit* No.. nvm.. none of this really makes sense lol. I probably should've asked someone else about it

Last edited:
So I was under the impression that this was fact.. but when I recently (a week ago) went into ServiceOntario, the lady told me I HAD to have my bike already FIT to get a temporary licence sticker... on the website http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/register-vehicle-permit-licence-plate-and-sticker

It says "A temporary licence plate sticker lets you drive your vehicle to a garage (for safety standards certificate or Drive Clean test etc.) to complete the requirements for a licence plate sticker and for other necessary short-term transportation purposes."

But when you click the link right under it http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/temporary-licence-plate-sticker on that page it says you NEED to bring the vehicle permit stating that the vehicle is fit.

It just dawned on me as I was typing this that this is referring to the previous owner's permit which stated that the bike was fit?

Isn't the difference between "fit" and "unfit" that an "unfit" vehicle has at some point been written off by insurance and is no longer able to be used on our streets (whereas in the past you were allowed to repair them)?

I know I bought a car last year without a safety and I was able to get a temporary sticker. That thing was rejected by 3 different mechanics and one body shop that didn't even want to try to fix it to pass safety no matter how much I wanted to pay them. It had holes through the body and frame, wires hanging out of it, a mouse nest in the intake, a non-functional vegetable oil kit, 4 different brands and models of tires, and a swapped in VW turbo diesel engine! Then I sold it to a car dealer that just slapped a plate on it and uses it as a DD now, lol.

Unfit, iirc, just means not safetied(?). When I bought my bike 5 years ago, I got insurance, got a temp plate, rode to mechanic, repaired & safety, then rode back to ministry for new registration, plate etc. When I received temp plate, ownership said unfit, after safety fit + plate portion.

Yeah the law states that whenever you buy a used vehicle, in order to register it and attach a licence plate you need,

1. Insurance
2. Safety Certification (vehicle determined as FIT)
3. Ownership Transfer

You need the Safety Certification when transferring to another owner. Even though the bike was FIT under the previous owner, when it is sold to someone else, it is automatically deemed UNFIT unless the previous owner recently got it safetied and then sold it to you (safety certification only lasts 36 days), then it would be FIT when you buy it. Seems like such a cash grab to me

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/used.shtml#buying

But yeah.. I should've asked someone else at the ServiceOntario cuz according to everyone else they've had no problems getting a temporary sticker to get their bikes safetied. The MTO website is a little contradicting.

If you put $1, MTO sends a letter to the previous owner asking them how much they sold it to them for. If the previous owner writes $1 or just throws the mail away(i usually do), then no problem will occur. There is no black book value on motorcycles. Been buying bikes for decades now and I always claim about $100 bucks.

Buddy and I traded bikes a couple years ago. Lady at the MTO office told us we were not allowed to put $1 and we WOULD get a letter from the Ministry of Finance (not the CRA). We did it anyway, and paid $0.13 tax. Neither of us ever got a letter. Bikes were both less than 3 years old.

Buddy and I traded bikes a couple years ago. Lady at the MTO office told us we were not allowed to put $1 and we WOULD get a letter from the Ministry of Finance (not the CRA). We did it anyway, and paid $0.13 tax. Neither of us ever got a letter. Bikes were both less than 3 years old.

It was a trade. Should've tried putting $0, lol.

Back
Top Bottom