I bought a bike but now what ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

I bought a bike but now what ?

Ghostrider619

I bought a bike off someone from kijiji. He gave me a UVIP and other documents. I have never purchased a vehicles before & have a few questions on how to get it all ready for road now.

1. Can I just register the bike without a safety & insurance ? I was thinking of getting safety done & get insurance later after I transfer the ownership title to my name.

2. How much $$ should I put on the amount I paid for the bike in the document. I know I have to pay tax on the purchase price, Can I just put $1 on it & is there gonna be any implications with the insurance company while making a claim if I just put $1 ?

Thank you for replying :p

I bought a bike off someone from kijiji. He gave me a UVIP and other documents. I have never purchased a vehicles before & have a few questions on how to get it all ready for road now.

1. Can I just register the bike without a safety & insurance ? I was thinking of getting safety done & get insurance later after I transfer the ownership title to my name.

2. How much $$ should I put on the amount I paid for the bike in the document. I know I have to pay tax on the purchase price, Can I just put $1 on it & is there gonna be any implications with the insurance company while making a claim if I just put $1 ?

1) You can get the ownership changed without insurance or a safety but you wont get a plate and a sticker. Like others have mentioned later in the thread with the insurance you can get a plate and a temp sticker from the Moto so you can drive for the safety.

2) Should be no issue with the insurance if you put you paid $1 but be aware they may look up the value and amend it later but i think thats done mostly with cars never heard of it happening with a bike.

Last edited:

Well the Ontario rule is you have to have m2 at least 4 yrs to register as the owner/rider. You can let me ride it for you and i will help you to register it.

PM is the key.

1) You can get the ownership changed without insurance or a safety but you wont get a plate.

2) Should be no issue with the insurance if you put you paid $1 but be aware they may look up the value and amend it later but i think thats done mostly with cars never heard of it happening with a bike.

They cant do it with the bike without cra help. So yeah they will never amend it, they will lose in court.

1. Call and get insurance now. Then go to Service Ontario and register and get temp sticker and plate so you can ride to get safety, sometime in next 10 days. Then go get permanent once safety is done.
2. Price is up to you how honest you want to be. If it's too unreasonably low, they will screw you hard. Dalton McGuinty created special legislation just for this situation when HST was introduced. Not going to advise breaking the law.
You are welcome

1. You could register the bike without safety or insurance but it will be registered as unfit. Because of it being registered as unfit you have to get a safety done on the bike before you could get plates for it (so this means transporting the bike over to a mechanic to get it done and then transporting it back). If you are going to register the bike as unfit, do the safety on it but don't register the safety until you get insurance (safety expires after 60 days I believe) because they'll charge you $14 to reprint the vehicle register with "FIT" on it and then charge you again for plates/registration.

2. You could put $1 on it, but it will probably flag on the government side. They'll send a letter to the seller to confirm pricing. However, from my experience it doesn't matter for insurance because they use BlueBook pricing.

Congrats on buying your first bike. Ride safe!

1. Call and get insurance now. Then go to Service Ontario and register and get temp sticker and plate so you can ride to get safety, sometime in next 10 days. Then go get permanent once safety is done.
2. Price is up to you how honest you want to be. If it's too unreasonably low, they will screw you hard. Dalton McGuinty created special legislation just for this situation when HST was introduced. Not going to advise breaking the law.
You are welcome

Link to the legistration pls. I want to see how they can win this in court.

They cant do it with the bike without cra help. So yeah they will never amend it, they will lose in court.

If your transferring a 86 Honda and write you paid $100 fine. But you buy a 2014 Goldwing and put a $100...it more likely to raise a flag. But like i said i never heard of it happening. Lack of bluebook value on bikes is what others have mentioned the reason is.

If your transferring a 86 Honda and write you paid $100 fine. But you buy a 2014 Goldwing and put a $100...it more likely to raise a flag. But like i said i never heard of it happening. Lack of bluebook value on bikes is what others have mentioned the reason is.

As i said they must have CRA involved to confirm the seller statement. Only CRA can audit ones finanical. MTO will lose in court if they force me to pay tax on something without book value. Unless there is a law that says this country is communist and i have no right as a human being.

As i said they must have CRA involved to confirm the seller statement. Only CRA can audit ones finanical. MTO will lose in court if they force me to pay tax on something without book value. Unless there is a law that says this country is communist and i have no right as a human being.

The CRA would be involved its tax avoidance.. thats what people are saying.

Agree but .... That time should be well spent on businesses that says " cash only" same effort, much bigger fine/revenue

Again no one is arguing that. You said they can't we said they probably wont. OP it honestly depends how obvious you make the value discrepancy. I bet they watch allot more of dealers and curb siders for doing it.

Last edited:
so many pieces of wrong info in this thread it is mind boggling.

First OP congrats.

You "can" write whatever value you wish on the UVIP, just remember it is an OFFICIAL document and it has consequqences for making a false statement. Now does this mean the CRA and MTO are going to come with a SWAT team and kick in your front door?? Nope. But if it seems unreasonably low they will send a letter to the seller asking them to confirm the selling price. I have over the years recieved a few of these letters on items I have sold. I simply ignore the letter.

As for getting the bike registered. You have two options get insurance on the bike go to service ontario and get a Temp decal, (big red T) instead of the nromal month year sticker. This will give you 10 days to get the safety done. Note you can only get TWO Temp decals for a bike. Then ride it to your favorite shop for a safety, then return to Service Ontario and perm register the bike in your name.

Or get it registered without insurance etc as UNFIT but then bike needs to be transported not rode, to safety.

A safety certificate is valid for 36 DAYS from the date it is issued.

Congrats OP.. you look like you got the advice that you needed.. but I need to know..

I'm surprised no one asked.. WHAT BIKE DID YOU GET?? :D

1) You can get the ownership changed without insurance or a safety but you wont get a plate and a sticker. Like others have mentioned later in the thread with the insurance you can get a plate and a temp sticker from the Moto so you can drive for the safety.

If you put $1, MTO sends a letter to the previous owner asking them how much they sold it to them for. If the previous owner writes $1 or just throws the mail away(i usually do), then no problem will occur. There is no black book value on motorcycles. Been buying bikes for decades now and I always claim about $100 bucks.

Here's a site for proper protocol
http://www.ontariolicences.com/index.php/vehicles/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle#certified

On my Ninja 250 I put said I purchased it for $50

On my 2002 GSXR 750 I said I paid $80

Since the girl behind the counter was too friendly, I asked if they've had any issues with anyone in the past with their claimed paid amounts since basically anyone can say anything to save on taxes, and she replied no because they can "only" go by what we say and that they have no book value to go on for the time being. The only thing they do is calculate HST according to that price.

As far as sending a letter to the seller, I've personally never heard of it before, but I presume it would have to be exceptionally suspect for them to go that route. Best thing to do is stay away from claiming you paid single digits unless the bikes was 20+ yrs old.

Since the girl behind the counter was too friendly, I asked if they've had any issues with anyone in the past with their claimed paid amounts since basically anyone can say anything to save on taxes, and she replied no because they can "only" go by what we say and that they have no book value to go on for the time being. The only thing they do is calculate HST according to that price.

If people keep obviously evading this tax, it's only a matter of time before they start assigning values. But, the only reason why used private sale vehicles have any taxes at all was lobbying from the dealership industry.

Well the Ontario rule is you have to have m2 at least 4 yrs to register as the owner/rider. You can let me ride it for you and i will help you to register it.

PM is the key.

Have him mod it, too. You ride it, I'll buy it later. ?

Back
Top Bottom