Changing bikes a couple times a year? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Changing bikes a couple times a year?

drumstyx

I think a similar topic has been discussed before here, but I just wanted to throw this out there.

I have 2 bikes that I like to ride, but there's no reason to have them both on the road at the same time -- I'll usually go for 2+ months on one or the other, while I do some work on the one I'm not riding.

One is a 1984 KZ750, one is a 2006 Vulcan 900LT. For obvious reasons, I tour on the Vulcan, and usually just do short runs and late/early season riding on the KZ. Would it be acceptable to swap insurance say, twice a year? May-September I'd be on the Vulcan, October-April the KZ.

I mean, in a perfect world, I'm sure we can all agree it'd be nice to just have insurance on the plate. Basically I just have a summer and 'winter' motorcycle...is that so crazy?

It is possible, you will just have to ask your own insurance company if this is feasible. Tell them upfront your situation and see what their advice for you would be.

Had a similar situation with a 600ss and a 1000ss. Paid the insurance on the 600 and rode the 1000. I told her I was selling the bigger bike and that I would be running it up and down the road for maint, and to show buyers, etc... She didn't really care. BUT it was for only about a month and a half till it sold.

Had a similar situation with a 600ss and a 1000ss. Paid the insurance on the 600 and rode the 1000. I told her I was selling the bigger bike and that I would be running it up and down the road for maint, and to show buyers, etc... She didn't really care. BUT it was for only about a month and a half till it sold.

Agent wouldn't care, (until you tried to make a claim, on the uninsured bike), but the Police certainly would care if you got stopped. OP this obviously isn't the way to do it.

Call your insurer they may do it, but then again they want premiums from both bikes so will likely try to tell you it can't be done.

Well, strictly speaking, if the 1000's VIN wasn't listed on your policy, you were riding illegally (not that we haven't all done it, working on a project bike).

I know it's easy enough to switch vehicles, it's just a matter of if insurance cos don't like it. A couple years ago I think the idea of switching 12+ times a year was feasible was discussed. That quickly gets out of hand, of course, but twice or even three times a year seems reasonable to me; it's a hobby, so you're bound to have collectors, flippers, etc.

I think a similar topic has been discussed before here, but I just wanted to throw this out there.

I have 2 bikes that I like to ride, but there's no reason to have them both on the road at the same time -- I'll usually go for 2+ months on one or the other, while I do some work on the one I'm not riding.

One is a 1984 KZ750, one is a 2006 Vulcan 900LT. For obvious reasons, I tour on the Vulcan, and usually just do short runs and late/early season riding on the KZ. Would it be acceptable to swap insurance say, twice a year? May-September I'd be on the Vulcan, October-April the KZ.

I mean, in a perfect world, I'm sure we can all agree it'd be nice to just have insurance on the plate. Basically I just have a summer and 'winter' motorcycle...is that so crazy?

No problem at all, just a bit of extra paperwork for your broker or agent.

The biggest challenge we face with continuous changes through out a policy period is that the client will forget what he has insured and end up driving/riding what's not insured, and guess what happens if there is a claim? Claim would be denied.

Geez, she/he was asking for a nasty E&O claim

Last edited:
Yeah, I definitely understand continuous changes are rather not very workable with the current system. Glad to hear a couple/few times a year isn't a huge problem though. I wonder though, does a change in vehicles constitute an opportunity to re-rate or apply surcharges based on claims or convictions?

Yeah, I definitely understand continuous changes are rather not very workable with the current system. Glad to hear a couple/few times a year isn't a huge problem though. I wonder though, does a change in vehicles constitute an opportunity to re-rate or apply surcharges based on claims or convictions?

No, accident, convictions can only be re-rated upon the renewal of the policy.

Should be fine. They can suspend liability coverage. Most company require a minimum of 60 days between suspensions or they won't issue a refund, though.

Back
Top Bottom