Considering upgrading CBR250 -> Ducati 748 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Considering upgrading CBR250 -> Ducati 748

Get both. Seriously. When I lived DT, I bought a 250 for commuting. I had 2 750s in the garage for touring and fun. The 748 is a great bike as far as character and looks and I'd get one if I had $ to burn. Since I don't, haven't.
Do you pay insurance on all three bikes?

Nothing wrong with "upgrading" or changing bikes, perhaps consider something less "unique". I hear good things about Japanese reliability these days, they've come a long way.

Nothing wrong with "upgrading" or changing bikes, perhaps consider something less "unique". I hear good things about Japanese reliability these days, they've come a long way.

Lol have they been bad? I meant last time i heard they're terrible is in the 60s.

Jap bikes have been the best in reliability since the 80s.

Get both. Seriously. When I lived DT, I bought a 250 for commuting. I had 2 750s in the garage for touring and fun. The 748 is a great bike as far as character and looks and I'd get one if I had $ to burn. Since I don't, haven't.

Well, continue burning rice then. I agree, you need a rock solid bike to depend on and secondly a bike with real character. Summers in Canada are too short too ride cantankerous machinery.

Yep. Paid insurance on all 3...no quantity discount. Only savings was on the plate sticker. Back then you only paid for the months from when you bought it till your birthday. Fortunately mine was in the fall.

If you want a bike with more character then most bikes will suit your needs.

You will become a great mechanic in a short magnitude of time, with 50% on the side of the road and 50% inside of a garage.

Duc's (especially those older ones) are like high maintenance italian girlfriends. Yeah, they'll make your head spin, everyone will look at the two of you in public, and it'll be great when you 'open it up'. BUT, order the wrong desert or don't buy her the right outfit, and you're in a world of hurt.

It's a learning experience, not for everyone. This early in your riding career, spend it riding and enjoying the 'turn key' of the low maintenance honda. If you're still riding in year 2 or 3, then get whatever bike you damn well please.

...this...do u like to ride or do you like to wrench ?

You will become a great mechanic in a short magnitude of time, with 50% on the side of the road and 50% inside of a garage.

Duc's (especially those older ones) are like high maintenance italian girlfriends. Yeah, they'll make your head spin, everyone will look at the two of you in public, and it'll be great when you 'open it up'. BUT, order the wrong desert or don't buy her the right outfit, and you're in a world of hurt.

It's a learning experience, not for everyone. This early in your riding career, spend it riding and enjoying the 'turn key' of the low maintenance honda. If you're still riding in year 2 or 3, then get whatever bike you damn well please.

You asked for advice and this is the best advice in this thread. The people who say "do whatever you want" are not wrong, they just aren't giving good advice.

I got a quote for an old 748 Duc last yr. It was unbelievably similar to a gsxr 1000. Definetly get an affirmative insurance quote first, I think by then you wouldn't even consider it anymore.

I know what you mean by wanting more uMph* from the 250. I had a ninja 250 last yr and I copped a gsxr 750 a few weeks ago. Look into a 600 series like a cbr 600, love those bikes. More character, solid build quality, fast, fun, reliable and looks great.

G'luck with your purchase. And it'll work wonders if you sat on every bike you were interested in at first. I would have bought the cbr 600rr had it not felt still a bit small for my taste. Feel is everything.

I disagree, I say if thats the bike you want to see when you open your garage door. The bike that puts a smile on your face every time you think of it, then just buy it. **** the insurance, **** the maintenance and **** the haters. When you have to spend the money you have and the short time you have on this earth. Do what makes you happy!

When I was 18 I wanted a bike so bad that i sold my truck(my only means of transportation) to buy a 1990 ex500, then sold most of what i owned to pay for gear and insurance. Was the happiest guy that season, then got bored of it, sold it in the fall and bought a crashed CBR900RR. Fixed that up over the winter while taking the bus and saving for insurance and rode that as soon as the snow melted.

To me, there was nothing better than riding. I would ride in all conditions from spring till fall, do groceries, give my gf a ride to work even if it was out of the way because it meant i could just ride more.

Do you want to look back at your time riding and think of that time you sat in traffic for 3 hours?(wtf didnt you just lane split your way out of there???)

Or think of the awesome rides your did on your DUCATI!

I'd rather ride than wrench. I'd rather **** than have eye candy only.

I could always convert a 600RR with 748 bodywork and get the best of both worlds....but can't be bothered.

It's a learning experience, not for everyone. This early in your riding career, spend it riding and enjoying the 'turn key' of the low maintenance honda.
If you're still riding in year 2 or 3, then get whatever bike you damn well please.

+1

Plain & simple advice with very elaborative example..:D

Glad most agreed to NFQ's advice being spot on, and I could definitely relate on that metaphor, so thanks again for that advice (on that note, *if* we were talking about a hot, italian g/f I might be willing to go such lengths, but since we're talking bikes I think I'll stick to my reliable and submissive Japanese beauty).

Not sure why all the hate on gathering other people's opinions on here, though. Just thought it would be nice to stir up some discussion and hear from others, especially from fellow GTA'rs since the environment plays just as much of a factor into this as well. If it were possible for me to take the bike out for a test ride, I would, and that would help me decide in an instant, I'm sure, but I'm pretty sure the bike's not insured to be taken out for a spin, and obviously won't be just for that, so I'm going to base my decision on facts rather than feel. Really wish I could take 'er out for a rip, though. :/

Anyways, thanks again to everyone for their input.

Glad most agreed to NFQ's advice being spot on, and I could definitely relate on that metaphor, so thanks again for that advice (on that note, *if* we were talking about a hot, italian g/f I might be willing to go such lengths, but since we're talking bikes I think I'll stick to my reliable and submissive Japanese beauty).

Not sure why all the hate on gathering other people's opinions on here, though. Just thought it would be nice to stir up some discussion and hear from others, especially from fellow GTA'rs since the environment plays just as much of a factor into this as well. If it were possible for me to take the bike out for a test ride, I would, and that would help me decide in an instant, I'm sure, but I'm pretty sure the bike's not insured to be taken out for a spin, and obviously won't be just for that, so I'm going to base my decision on facts rather than feel. Really wish I could take 'er out for a rip, though. :/

Anyways, thanks again to everyone for their input.

If you want to get a feel for what other bikes feel like, best thing to do is hit up demo days. There's a list of them somewhere on the site here, they have them for most manufacturers.

This early in your riding career, ride everything you can swing a leg over. Scooters, Harley's, Japanese bikes, Euro bikes, everything. The majority of people either lose interest, or other things come up and the bike sits anyway. That's why I say take the first couple seasons to get as many km's under your belt as possible. Then you'll know if you're in it for the long haul or just passing through.

Good decision.
Before you think of ever upgrading to a bigger super-sports bike, check the insurance quotes before posting (usually substantially higher than a 250)

he already sort o' did.

.....I did an online quote with my insurance provider to see what that would run me, and it would be about 30-40% more than what I paid for my first year of insurance on the 250 (and I've had a clean driving record, so I would assume that my rate on the 250 should be lowering if I were to keep it and renew my policy on that, so the insurance on the Ducati might really be closer to almost double!), which is substantial, but not to the point that it would be a deal breaker.....

I can speak from personal experience on this topic

I upgraded from a 300 to an 848. I rode the 300 for roughly 10K kms. After about 6-7 weeks on the 848, I feel that it was the right decision. I was thinking about a used 600 and then jump to the 848 but I decided against that. The biggest thing will be the turning for you. The big increase in power was not hard to deal with for me since I am a VERY cautious rider. If you RESPECT the bike, you should be OK. I commute on it daily (35KM-40KM round trip) and its pretty good. If you have any specific questions, you can PM me. I cant speak on the maintenance issue of the older Ducatis since I have a 2010 version.

Here it is:

http://imgur.com/tIl5f15

Last edited:
I can speak from personal experience on this topic

I upgraded from a 300 to an 848. I rode the 300 for roughly 10K kms. After about 6-7 weeks on the 848, I feel that it was the right decision. I was thinking about a used 600 and then jump to the 848 but I decided against that. The biggest thing will be the turning for you. The big increase in power was not hard to deal with for me since I am a VERY cautious rider. If you RESPECT the bike, you should be OK. I commute on it daily (35KM-40KM round trip) and its pretty good. If you have any specific questions, you can PM me. I cant speak on the maintenance issue of the older Ducatis since I have a 2010 version.

Here it is:

http://imgur.com/tIl5f15

Man, that's a beaut. Making me jealous.

So I'm still kicking around on the ol' 250. I did, however, go test ride a Duc' Multistrada on the demo ride up at Maranello and OH MY GOD did I eff'ing LOVE riding that thing. I was a little intimidated climbing onto such a bigger bike... and not just of the engine but the size of the bike itself (I had a lil difficulty even throwing my leg over the side, but once on both balls of my feet were able to touch the ground), but it literally took me as long as it took to pull out of the lot and reach the first intersection to feel right at home. Nearly every single thing just felt perfect: the smoothness on the throttle, the ergonomics of the riding position, braking... you name it. Only issue was how hot the engine was had my feet feel like I was straddling an oven.

Was grinning from ear to ear the whole hour long ride, especially when they let us open up to 150KM on the back roads. You are right, that the turning took some adjustment to, the first slow/sharp turn we had I went over the line into the oncoming lane a touch, but otherwise was fine. Now I just need to figure out where to come up with $20K to buy that baby. Anyone willing to fund my kickstarter? :p

As for the 748, I haven't even bothered talking to my buddy since, although I've toyed with the idea of just buying the bike outright, keeping my 250 for daily usage, and keeping the 748 for the track.

Get that bike after 2-3 , (depending on how much you ride) years and you will be a much better rider.

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

Back
Top Bottom