Considering upgrading CBR250 -> Ducati 748 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Considering upgrading CBR250 -> Ducati 748

DJ-RK

Hey folks. Thought I'd turn to the community for some feedback on an upgrade decision I'm considering.

I'm currently the proud owner of a 2012 CBR250RA. Purchased her brand new from the dealership last year at the end of July. First bike, or rather, first ANYTHING (never owned a car before). Strangely, I'm not overly attached, I think partially because the CBR250 lacks character and is fairly common to find about, but at the same time I don't feel the need that I absolutely must move up to a bigger bike anytime soon, and have considered just keeping her until I at least get my full M. She's mostly used as a commuter between my home in the beaches and my work in d/t (although, as I'm sure some of you can probably relate, I'm considering going back to commuting on my good ol' bicycle to avoid dealing with the traffic and get more exercise) and getting around town on errands, but occasionally get out on the weekends for some pleasure rides. Just reached 6K on the meter in total and have had no issues/loved every moment (except those 3 hours stuck in a complete standstill on the 401 ;) ).

The option that's recently become available to me is buy a Ducati 748 from my buddy. I have yet to get all the specifics off him (year, KM's, etc) and check it out in person. He showed me a video of it running and has been honest that it's been sitting for a while so needs a little bit of work, but nothing major (and I do trust him to be completely honest, although there certainly is the possibility that there could be more issues than he's simply aware of). He offered it to me at a price that if I were to sell my CBR it would pretty much be an even trade (even including the cost of parts that I'll need to put into it).

I did an online quote with my insurance provider to see what that would run me, and it would be about 30-40% more than what I paid for my first year of insurance on the 250 (and I've had a clean driving record, so I would assume that my rate on the 250 should be lowering if I were to keep it and renew my policy on that, so the insurance on the Ducati might really be closer to almost double!), which is substantial, but not to the point that it would be a deal breaker.

I've already read up on the bike, and that it's apparently a nightmare to ride in city traffic (which, currently, 75% of my riding consists of), but the joy of being able to open it up supposedly more than makes up for it. It's apparently high maintenance, nowhere near as good on gas, and of course, it's a 15 yr old bike. Clearly, all my sense of reason is telling don't do it, but I don't think I need to explain to anyone here the little kid inside me screaming "BRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP." Also, I know there's the concern that I'm only just coming up on the end of my first year of riding, so moving up to a bigger bike too soon can be a concern for my own safety, but I'm fairly confident in saying that I've got a very solid feel for riding on my CBR so I like to think that I'd be ok to move up to a bigger bike as long as I knew to take it slow in the beginning.

Obviously will depend on condition and KM's, but lets say for the sake of it, it's a yr 2000 model with 15K on the meter. If that were the case, would any of you consider this a good decision?

Get an actual quote (not just online) before any final decisions.

Oh, for sure. Just did a quick check to get a ballpark idea of what I'd be looking at. Will definitely get a rock solid quote before committing to the decision, if I go that route.

Do what you want man. Dont need to write such lenthy post.

Well, I come from working in an industry (IT) where we analyze the **** out of things before making decisions. Truth be told, I'm leaning more towards going against the decision for the reasons stated, just hoping to get a bit of a consensus from others if it would be a foolish decision either way.

not against at all, unless you are adverse to learning.

Well, no. I love to learn. I just figured you were saying that in the context of the philosophy I subscribe to which is: "there is no such thing as a bad situation as long as you learn from it," which in turn would suggest a pretty heavy tradeoff for that learning experience.

Look carefully at issues with this era of 748, very carefully.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/ducati/748/1994/

"Bought new and maintained by experts with a money-no-object approach problems would still arise with the Ducati 748. Get an abused motorcycle or skimp on maintenance and four figure bills will haunt your dreams and could become reality with this motorcycle. Check cam belt changes have been done and be aware rocker arms can fail."

You really need to know if the cam belt is new or the valves have been adjusted, because this is a big bill. Also, expect electrical issues on a bike this old.

You will become a great mechanic in a short magnitude of time, with 50% on the side of the road and 50% inside of a garage.

Duc's (especially those older ones) are like high maintenance italian girlfriends. Yeah, they'll make your head spin, everyone will look at the two of you in public, and it'll be great when you 'open it up'. BUT, order the wrong desert or don't buy her the right outfit, and you're in a world of hurt.

It's a learning experience, not for everyone. This early in your riding career, spend it riding and enjoying the 'turn key' of the low maintenance honda. If you're still riding in year 2 or 3, then get whatever bike you damn well please.

You will become a great mechanic in a short magnitude of time, with 50% on the side of the road and 50% inside of a garage.

Duc's (especially those older ones) are like high maintenance italian girlfriends. Yeah, they'll make your head spin, everyone will look at the two of you in public, and it'll be great when you 'open it up'. BUT, order the wrong desert or don't buy her the right outfit, and you're in a world of hurt.

It's a learning experience, not for everyone. This early in your riding career, spend it riding and enjoying the 'turn key' of the low maintenance honda. If you're still riding in year 2 or 3, then get whatever bike you damn well please.

/thread

Thanks to all for the input

Rule #1 ... never ask what bike to get on GTAM. Use your own head, it's your money and life ....

Rule #1 ... never ask what bike to get on GTAM. Use your own head, it's your money and life ....

+1

And OP it doesnt matter what industry you come from. This is a hobby not a production project. The only analysis you do is ask yourseld what bike you like and enjoy it.

+1

And OP it doesnt matter what industry you come from. This is a hobby not a production project. The only analysis you do is ask yourseld what bike you like and enjoy it.

on the other hand, kijiji is full of bikes trying to sell from buyer's remorse.

Passionate enthusiasts don't ask certain questions.

Yeah, no. There are actually many ads from many people stating "too much bike for me".

And only them can decide that not you me or forum members. Some timd you have to try to know what fits you

Get both. Seriously. When I lived DT, I bought a 250 for commuting. I had 2 750s in the garage for touring and fun. The 748 is a great bike as far as character and looks and I'd get one if I had $ to burn. Since I don't, haven't.

I would pass on it... Like somebody else already said spend your time riding and not in the garage fixing it especially if the bike (apparently) doesn't have a good durability track record. You'll be spending more money on insurance, more money with maintenance and more time fixing. Most people get into riding because they like riding, not usually because they like fixing things. Unless you don't fall into the "most" category consider passing on this purchase.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom