Using Uhaul trailer for trackdays. yay or nay? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Using Uhaul trailer for trackdays. yay or nay?

What's your tow vehicle?

Just because the rack is rated for 600lbs doesn't mean that your vehicle can carry it. You've got to check the max tongue weight for the hitch *and* your tow vehicle. The actual weight you are able to able to put on the hitch will be the lesser of the two, also accounting for the weight of the rack itself as well.

For example, I doubt you'd be able to carry a 400lb sportbike on the back of a Honda Civic.

I could be wrong but here is what i know from research....

Towing spec does not apply to the carrier. The max torque rating is for the hitch. So you need class 3 and above.

The only passenger vehicle that has class 3 hitch as standard is Subaru Legacy.

The weight loading of your carrier must be less than your vehicle carrying capacity ( Gross weight - curb weight) and the rear suspension spring rating.

So..... The vehicle im planning to use is ..... Camry V6. Gross weight is 4400lbs, curb weight is 3400lbs. So i have 1000lbs for me + bike + cargo.

I have to get a custom class 3 hitch. And hope that the rear suspension can handle it ( or upgrade the spings)

Thro my search i see many adv riders use this system with their minivan for their supermoto

Last edited:
I wouldn't use the hitch carrier on your Camry, it is not designed for it. If you look in your owners manual you will see the towing capacity or lack thereof, a class 3 hitch is most likely overkill.

I wouldn't use the hitch carrier on your Camry, it is not designed for it. If you look in your owners manual you will see the towing capacity or lack thereof, a class 3 hitch is most likely overkill.

+1.. i am going for over kill with a class 3 on my 2014 santafe sport..i my opinion it should be restricted to class 2.... gets very grumpy with heavier trailers.

uhaul only for now.. absolutely no extra space... maybe in the future.

Last edited:
Nope, not a joke. I had one I bought used for 800.
$1800 usd..... That is a joke right lol . no wonder it went out of business

Carrier hitch is the wrong option for your vehicle, there are threads in here ecxplaining why extensively. It seems that the freight harbor one is a good option you should consider. Have yet to hear someone not happy with them.

Last edited:
Nope, not a joke. I had one I bought used for 800.

Carrier hitch is the wrong option for your vehicle, there are threads in here ecxplaining why extensively. It seems that the freight harbor one is a good option you should consider. Have yet to hear someone not happy with them.

I agree.

Now if i have RC390 track bike with 320 lbs wet, i will go with the carrier for sure...lol good reason to downgrade?

+1.. i am going for over kill with a class 3 on my 2014 santafe sport..i my opinion it should be restricted to class 2.... gets very grumpy with heavier trailers.

Assume your bike is 600 SS with 420-450 lbs wet, i would go with the carrier. Your Santa fe can handle the weight no problem. Look into the gross weight, not towing capacity because the bike is a cargo now.

Think of it as carrying couple fat friends in the back.

Ya but m short and weak... getting it up on the ramp would be a problem same for getting it off the ramp

Last edited:
Towing spec does not apply to the carrier. The max torque rating is for the hitch. So you need class 3 and above.

So..... The vehicle im planning to use is ..... Camry V6. Gross weight is 4400lbs, curb weight is 3400lbs. So i have 1000lbs for me + bike + cargo.

I never mentioned anything about towing specs, since the carrier is resting entirely on the hitch. I said tongue weight. I wouldn't be using a hitch carrier on a Camry. I'm guessing max tongue weight is probably 100-200 lbs on that car.

Just curious why...does the tongue weight and towing capacity of that vehicle reach the need for class 3?

Assume your bike is 600 SS with 420-450 lbs wet, i would go with the carrier. Your Santa fe can handle the weight no problem. Look into the gross weight, not towing capacity because the bike is a cargo now.

Think of it as carrying couple fat friends in the back.
So 450 on the tongue sitting still. How much does it weigh going over a bump?

Kinda sorta important info.
Basically max towing capacity on mine is 3500lbs.... with max tongue wait at 400 (was told verbally)... tongue/max tow weight barely takes it into class 3

Last edited:
I never mentioned anything about towing specs, since the carrier is resting entirely on the hitch. I said tongue weight. I wouldn't be using a hitch carrier on a Camry. I'm guessing max tongue weight is probably 100-200 lbs on that car.

Why does the max tongue weight depend on the car? From what i read, its the hitch spec not car spec.
Class 2 hitch : 300 lbs
Class 3 hitch: 700 lbs

It makes sense if you understand what tongue weight is measured at.

Last edited:

uhhh.... 450... after she bottoms out

lowrider1.jpg

Basically max towing capacity on mine is 3500lbs.... with max tongue wait at 400 (was told verbally)... tongue/max tow weight barely takes it into class 3

Thats correct. Its the torque weight exceeds 300 lbs. Why do you think torque weight relate to towing?

Why does the max torque weight depend on the car? From what i read, its the hitch spec not car spec.
Class 2 hitch : 300 lbs
Class 3 hitch: 700 lbs

It makes sense if you understand what torque weight is measured at.

hitch is connected to the car right? the limitations are for these 3 things (car/conection between car and hitch/hitch).. i guess they take the lowest capacity in all three areas and consider it as MAX.. since going higher could jeopardize safety... my guess

Thats correct. Its the torque weight exceeds 300 lbs. Why do you think torque weight relate to towing?

its not torque weight.. its tongue weight.. weight a hitch can take hanging directly off of it.. like a hitch carrier for example.

consider your head as the car.. your tongue as the hitch and a lamb chop as the trailer... now you may be able to pull a 10z chop with your tongue.. but you sure as hell can't lift it with the tip of your tongue... a 1/2 oz bit sure you can lift it.. but a 10 oz bit.. good luck.

tongue weight is the max weight the hitch and the connection with the car can safely handle before you risk damage or perhaps your bloody hitch dropping out and damaging your frame.

Last edited:

You dont seem to understand here. Going over the bump has no effect on the hitch as its already class 3. The force will be on your spring.

So you should ask if your spring can handle the load

Back
Top Bottom