Using Uhaul trailer for trackdays. yay or nay? | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Using Uhaul trailer for trackdays. yay or nay?

its not part of the frame.. its externally secured to it.... you better hope those bolts are rated for your INTENDED application.

i don't think a camry can even accept a class 3 hitch.. do correct me if i am wrong
It doesnt if you can actually read i already said in my post that needs to be done to the camry.

Yes if you custom build a hitch i assume you would use the correct bolts/mounting.

Not to mention the impact to steering and drive to the front wheels when you have so much weight that far behind the rear axle acting as a lever.

There's a reason why the max tongue weight is so low on a car.

Exactly! Basically any weight added behind the rear axle lessens the weight on front tires.

The interface where the hitch mounts to the vehicle is probably one of the limiting factors to tongue weight (along with suspension maybe?!).

No matter how strong your fasteners are, the unibody may not handle the vertical weight.

I was also pondering a hitch mount carrier in the past. I was concerned with being towards the limit of my tongue weight capacity. The bike carriers appear to stick out a little further than where the ball would be. That could cause a leverage ratio issue which could put you over your tongue weight capacity. If tongue weight is measured at the hitch ball location, and the vertical load of the bike is further out than that, then there would an additional leverage arm moment to calculate. Because it was too close for comfort, I bailed on that idea.

I assume it would be like the scooter lift mounting so it should be addressed correctly.

The conversation quickly went non constructive when ppl assumed they got the knowledge that others dont.

The tongue rating is there for a reason. If you mount class 3 hitch, you assume the mounting is done correctly.

Remember this whole thing started when the other poster mentioned his suv use class 3 as standard. The smart *** argue about tongue weight being still and what not.

The same bump situation apply to trailing or carrying. As long as the tongue weight doesnt exceed the rating.

Last edited:
Exactly! Basically any weight added behind the rear axle lessens the weight on front tires.

Weight distribution is probably the issue. But it wasnt the argument. I also noted that Subaru Legacy is the only passenger car that uses class 3 hitch. Probably because of the true AWD system. ( all time awd)

Ok so a trailer is too expensive an option so instead you are going to buy a carrier, then upgrade your vehicle springs, (don't foregt to upgrade the shocks too), Then your going to reinforce the frame as you have admitted it will likely exceed the limit. Then your going to search for bolts strong enough to ensure the hitch doesn't detach from the frame. Of course your going to do all this for less than the cost of a single trailer. Feel free to post up the costs when your done.

As for everyone else, he is obviously a LOT smarter than any of us, (even if he can't realize the fact that the bike carrier is NOT at the ball location which is typically where the tongue weight is to be measured). So let him be and we can enjoy the story of reading about how his insurer won't cover the claim as the bike and carrier pass him on the road someday.

Ok so a trailer is too expensive an option so instead you are going to buy a carrier, then upgrade your vehicle springs, (don't foregt to upgrade the shocks too), Then your going to reinforce the frame as you have admitted it will likely exceed the limit. Then your going to search for bolts strong enough to ensure the hitch doesn't detach from the frame. Of course your going to do all this for less than the cost of a single trailer. Feel free to post up the costs when your done.

As for everyone else, he is obviously a LOT smarter than any of us, (even if he can't realize the fact that the bike carrier is NOT at the ball location which is typically where the tongue weight is to be measured). So let him be and we can enjoy the story of reading about how his insurer won't cover the claim as the bike and carrier pass him on the road someday.

Oh hai .... Do you have reading comprehension? It seems you guys jump on the band wagon to feed your ego.

The argument started when i said the other poster with his SUV that i would use the carrier.

Thanks for your effort. Failed

Oh hai .... Do you have reading comprehension? It seems you guys jump on the band wagon to feed your ego.

The argument started when i said the other poster with his SUV that i would use the carrier.

Thanks for your effort. Failed

No you are the one with reading comprehension abilities and the lack of ability to understand that when someone has REAL world experience rather than professing to have all the answers as you do. There are reasons why teachers teach and workers work. Some of these guys have more exeprience towing, then you likely ever will. But have at it bro, you know better than anyone else. There is a reason why you see bikes ON TRAILERS rather than on those crappy carriers, (except light weight dirt bikes). Or here is a GREAT idea do your setup then pull into one of the scales along the 401 see if the MTO guys agree with your setup.

Ask yourself a very enlightening question. If I am indeed correct then why are 15 other guys who do track days telling me this isn't a good idea. This is like the old commercial 4 out of 5 dentist say.... If you think this is a good idea, then don't TELL us why your right just do it. we will be looking for the updates.

go to youtube and look at videos of bikes in the carriers on the road. I bet they too thought they were smarter than everyone else..lol Not my bike not my camry, not my worry, (unless I am behind you when the POS falls apart, (but then I am smart enough to recognize danger and give you a VERY wide berth)

No you are the one with reading comprehension abilities and the lack of ability to understand that when someone has REAL world experience rather than professing to have all the answers as you do. There are reasons why teachers teach and workers work. Some of these guys have more exeprience towing, then you likely ever will. But have at it bro, you know better than anyone else. There is a reason why you see bikes ON TRAILERS rather than on those crappy carriers, (except light weight dirt bikes). Or here is a GREAT idea do your setup then pull into one of the scales along the 401 see if the MTO guys agree with your setup.

Ask yourself a very enlightening question. If I am indeed correct then why are 15 other guys who do track days telling me this isn't a good idea. This is like the old commercial 4 out of 5 dentist say.... If you think this is a good idea, then don't TELL us why your right just do it. we will be looking for the updates.

go to youtube and look at videos of bikes in the carriers on the road. I bet they too thought they were smarter than everyone else..lol Not my bike not my camry, not my worry, (unless I am behind you when the POS falls apart, (but then I am smart enough to recognize danger and give you a VERY wide berth)

You just confirm your ability to read. Thanks for the lengthy post that has nothing with your bandwagon.

Just so you know the argument isnt " why dont you guys use carrier for track bike ". You can start learning to read for now. Make your insult attempt lot more weight, especially over a bump .... No pun intended

Last edited:
WOW, from a simple question to this....that's funny. I think if you have a hitch rated for 2,000 lbs. which most are, you would be more than fine towing a U Haul motorcycle trailer on almost any car. Min. spec for these trailers are 1,000 lbs. It's $15.00 a day and you can reserve it for any day that you want. I have a 4 banger Accord and towed my 650 lb pig from Ohio to Toronto with zero issues... so yes, I would say U Haul is a very viable option. Just make sure you reserve it and let them know that it's the motorcycle trailer that you want..

WOW, from a simple question to this....that's funny. I think if you have a hitch rated for 2,000 lbs. which most are, you would be more than fine towing a U Haul motorcycle trailer on almost any car. Min. spec for these trailers are 1,000 lbs. It's $15.00 a day and you can reserve it for any day that you want. I have a 4 banger Accord and towed my 650 lb pig from Ohio to Toronto with zero issues... so yes, I would say U Haul is a very viable option. Just make sure you reserve it and let them know that it's the motorcycle trailer that you want..

Yeah im going with this until i know if i can do track days more often. Then i will get the folding HF trailer. Seems like very common

There it go! so after all this thread served it's purpose.

We can now all move along and not be at the edge of our sits anymore.

Top of the hat gents !

Yeah im going with this until i know if i can do track days more often. Then i will get the folding HF trailer. Seems like very common

By the way, I went with something even smaller than the HF trailer, serves me well and I can stand it up in my garage and takes up no space, i think I paid like 400 or 500. Kijiji is your friend for it

10525917_10152456489501191_545662606358023331_n.jpg

Last edited:
There it go! so after all this thread served it's purpose.

We can now all move along and not be at the edge of our sits anymore.

Top of the hat gents !

By the way, I went with something even smaller than the HF trailer, serves me well and I can stand it up in my garage and takes up no space, i think I paid like 400 or 500. Kijiji is your friend for it

10525917_10152456489501191_545662606358023331_n.jpg

Hmm thats a good deal.... I hate kijiji tho. Is yours home built? Or you know of the brand/make?

It isn't home made but I don't know the brand
Hmm thats a good deal.... I hate kijiji tho. Is yours home built? Or you know of the brand/make?

Back
Top Bottom