Using Uhaul trailer for trackdays. yay or nay? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Using Uhaul trailer for trackdays. yay or nay?

cool

Banned
I'm restricted by space to have a trailer. Has anyone used Uhaul for track days? What is my other options? I dont want to ride to the track obviously. Any input ia appreciated.

We used to use UHaul. It works, but it's a pain in the *** having to go get it and return it, line-ups are sometimes long at the store. Sometimes you don't know if the specific one you've reserved is the exact model they have in stock. Sometimes some tie-down loops are broken and you have to improvise. You have to rent it the day before the track day if you want to make it for the morning sessions, and you'll probably have to return it the day after, so it's a minimum 3-day rental.

Or you could bite the bullet and get a fold-up one. Stinger and Trailer-in-a-bag come to mind. Very expensive comparatively though.

All these points above. But I have done it many times. Even trailered 3 bikes to Shubie in one. Just go beforehand and inspect them to make sure it has tiedowns and then make it a condition that you are renting unit xxx. Works easier if you have a small uhaul facility. In Oakville I don't use the big Uhaul at Winston Churchill I use a small Uhaul on Speers. The smaller ones are faster, more accommodating and go out of their way to make pickup and drop off easy.

if you only plan on doing an occasional track day, its ok. ~ $30/ day. should be able to work it out for a 2 day rental. or borrow a utility trailer from a relative/neighbour ..

if you plan on doing more than a couple TD's buy a used trailer.

renting is a low cash solution for starting out. and no need for a trailer parkin spot

Last edited:
It's my understanding U-Haul also has a clause forbidding trailer transportation of vehicles with fuel in them. If there was a fire or leaking fuel you'd probably be held liable for the damages.

It's honestly not the worst idea for the average Track day guy. Any time I have used them it was like $30 for a 3-day rental(Friday pickup, Saturday trackday, Sunday drop off) which is pretty damn cheap compared to the cost of a half decent trailer.

As others have said, make sure the trailer is not a heap of junk and you should be good to go. One of the guys pitting with us last season picked up his uhaul trailer and drove it all the way to GBM from Brampton with a broken leaf spring resulting in the tire burning a hole through the fender.

$800 for the folding single trailer, not bad!

Fold_Single_Tow_A_700x700.jpg

Ok so i found a hitch mounted sport bike carrier. Max load of 600lbs.

Has anyone seen it? Is it legal in Ontario? I really like the idea and i will avoid 400s freeway.

If not the next best option is the folding trailer from harbor freight for $600, still require decking and wheel chock.... Not sure how big it is. From pics , it looks like 4ftx4ft x 2ft

Ok so i found a hitch mounted sport bike carrier. Max load of 600lbs.

What's your tow vehicle?

Just because the rack is rated for 600lbs doesn't mean that your vehicle can carry it. You've got to check the max tongue weight for the hitch *and* your tow vehicle. The actual weight you are able to able to put on the hitch will be the lesser of the two, also accounting for the weight of the rack itself as well.

For example, I doubt you'd be able to carry a 400lb sportbike on the back of a Honda Civic.

There are threads on this subject from several years but you may consider as someone above has suggested the harbor freight folding trailer. At the time I had paid less than 300, maybe 400 total with all hooks, chock,etc..

I have no trouble whatsoever pulling with my mini. It folds up so takes minimum space, it is rather heavy to fold, unfold but there is an easy trick.

I have had this trailer now for 6 plus years , 0 trouble, I also use it for light household duties.

Back
Top Bottom