May 7th @ SMP! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

May 7th @ SMP!

Get the **** out of intermediate as soon as I can! Lol

I definitely overreacted and probably would've been fine had I not touched the brakes.

LOL... that was my first thought when you explained the situation "Must be in yellow..."

You were in yellow? Green is even worse. Tmp at least I feel much safer in intermediate(whatever color they call it).

You were in yellow? Green is even worse. Tmp at least I feel much safer in intermediate(whatever color they call it).

I went from beginner to advanced and never once did I have a moment where someone else's riding affected my day. When I watch intermediate they're always bunched up and "racing" each other. Intermediate is easily the sketchiest group to be in.

It sounds like you did the right thing, I mean you avoided a collision. One down is better than two. So what do you think you could you have done differently, just not tried the pass at all?

Hey Mina, sorry to hear about your off. That's a tough corner because people can take a hundred different lines in and out T3, especially when they blow the entry. Unless you are clearly beside or in front of the other rider where Fabi meets up with Long, best to give 'em space and take them down somewhere else. Passing is the responsibility of the person doing the passing, but I agree with Doozerdave it sounds like you did well to avoid a worse outcome. Glad to hear you'll be back on the horse soon.

All is well, thanks for asking.

I was trail braking and was about to pass the rider in front of me after he went wide. He cut right across to over correct and as I saw him coming, I panicked and touched the front brakes. This happened after I was done trail braking and setting myself up for the corner, bike didn't like it. Stupid mistake and lesson learned.

Hey Mina. Sorry you went down man and glad you're okay. Thanks for the lessons learned. It's experiences like these that help us new to track riding.

I'm usually worried about the intermediate group and find it the most dangerous of all groups. On one end you have riders who are moving up to red and are competent to do so. On the other side you have cocky novice riders who think after passing the slowest in green decide to bump up the very day.

I'll just stay in green as long as I can and move to red when I nail all my corners lines on all tracks all the time.

One pet peeve in green: there was a yoyo in an orange fireblade. Slow on the corners and then pins the throttle on the straight. I don't pass folks in the corners but this was annoying and just had to pass.

Anyway it was nice to see some familiar faces. I'll be taking fast phase 2 in 2 weeks and will be back in June.

It doesn't matter if you are in novice, intermediate or fast group. You are always slower or faster than someone else.

The trick is to manage yourself. Mina's sounds like an unfortunate accident.

However, if you are unable to pass a slower rider who continues to be slower in the corners and faster on the straight parts, it is far better that you learn to out brake them or pit and re-enter in clear track. This applies in all 3 groups.

Intermediate is a good learning group if you follow this process. You learn to pass people and you get faster.

I would believe that very few riders can jump from novice to fast group without becoming a danger in the fast group.

It's a track day. Not a race.

It doesn't matter if you are in novice, intermediate or fast group. You are always slower or faster than someone else.

The trick is to manage yourself. Mina's sounds like an unfortunate accident.

However, if you are unable to pass a slower rider who continues to be slower in the corners and faster on the straight parts, it is far better that you learn to out brake them or pit and re-enter in clear track. This applies in all 3 groups.

Intermediate is a good learning group if you follow this process. You learn to pass people and you get faster.

I would believe that very few riders can jump from novice to fast group without becoming a danger in the fast group.

It's a track day. Not a race.

You've obviously never won a track day.

You've obviously never won a track day.

Who have you talked to?!?! Won lots of them (in my head anyway). People thought I was strange as I sprayed myself with the bubbly stuff at the end of the day.

One pet peeve in green: there was a yoyo in an orange fireblade. Slow on the corners and then pins the throttle on the straight. I don't pass folks in the corners but this was annoying and just had to pass.

You'll find similar in each group. Pit-in or use it as fuel to push yourself to corner a bit faster.

Cut him some slack, it was his first day!

My bad... no disrespect to the rider. Speaking of fist day: I actually wanted to go home after my second lap last year. The school taught us on 125 and took my cbr on the next track day and I was scared sh#tless. Thanks to some encouragement from experienced riders I pulled through and had a blast.
As someone trying to pass it worries me whether I can in the turns without colliding so I wait to get to straight and try to pass. But that doesn't always happen. Not to mention it breaks my rythym.

I'll just do what was advised here and just cruise into pit lanes and wait. OR man up and move to intermediate.

Last edited:
Just want to say thanks for all your help Mina; from giving me directions to the track when I was lost (so much for gps), helping me get the bike off the trailer, helping me set up the canopy and ...... It was my first track day on a bike I've never ridden before and I stayed up till 1:30am putting the bike together. Sorry for being a yo-yo but I'm going at my own pace and unfortunetly that pace is slow. lol:( On the straights I did slow down way before the 150 marker because I didn't trust the brakes and I assumed thats where someone would pass me. After my first ride I remembered that I didn't even check my tire pressure since I had the tires replace and as usually Mina was there to help. Again I just want to say a big thanks to Umer and Mina for all the help.

Glad that you're ok and nothing is broken.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Just want to say thanks for all your help Mina; from giving me directions to the track when I was lost (so much for gps), helping me get the bike off the trailer, helping me set up the canopy and ...... It was my first track day on a bike I've never ridden before and I stayed up till 1:30am putting the bike together. Sorry for being a yo-yo but I'm going at my own pace and unfortunetly that pace is slow. lol:( On the straights I did slow down way before the 150 marker because I didn't trust the brakes and I assumed thats where someone would pass me. After my first ride I remembered that I didn't even check my tire pressure since I had the tires replace and as usually Mina was there to help. Again I just want to say a big thanks to Umer and Mina for all the help.

Hey bud no need to apologize. I followed you for the most part and you were doing great with the lines and were consistent the entire time ?. I was just being cautious around you that's all.

Have you taken any track lessons? If not they will help. A lot.

Mina and other regular track members are always a great asset to us newbies. I have nothing but gratitude and respect for them. Always willing to help out.

As you can see from the pic I'm watching you're back and playing it safe brother?:
uploadfromtaptalk1431228929649.jpg

Cheers and hope to see you next time. Once again didn't mean to call you a yoyo?

Rednblax: so you're the fella on the green cbr. I've seen you ride and you should be in the intermediate group.
Nice bike though. Where did you get the fairings?

Wow, thanks for the pic. Once I get the bugs worked out of the bike I'll take a track day course.

Happy to help! Was my first day too so I was super nervous as well lol. I think the real winner is Mina here for dealing with us noobs.

Back
Top Bottom