Motorcycle Starts... then DIES HELP!!! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Starts... then DIES HELP!!!

I haven't read all the posts.

If it is dying after 2mins, and wont start back up - even with a new battery - there is something else going on.

1. Your new battery is garbage.
2. Major mechanical issue.
3. Even if your charging system is totally shot - a new battery should keep it running for a good 10-20min with the head light unplugged.

if this helps in any way, i checked the fuel filter and it looked clean, no debris. then for the heck of it, i removed the air filter ( i dont know why i did, i was running out of ideas lol), and it starts everytime.

So without air filter, i would attempt to start the bike, it would start, idle down then die. i would attempt 2nd time, it would start idle down, then die. and this would happen repeatedly.

When i start up the bike and give it throttle, it would rev up, then come down to 2k rpms for a few seconds, then down to 1k rpms, then continue to idle down until it cuts off. im assuming the hold at 2k, then idling down means its a vaccuum leak.

Good info!!

SO it sounds like it is starving of fuel.

1. If you disconnect the hose after the fuel filter - does it flow flow ?
2. Try by-passing the fuel filter
3. Carbs might need to be cleaned out.

You are in mississauga, where abouts ?

Hey everyone i was doing some more research and just thought of something. I have a Vaccuum petcock(ON/RES/Prime) so this means when i remove the fuel line (with the bike off, in the ON position) no gas should come out of the petcock, correct?

when i removed the gas line from the petcock, gas was coming out, so this could mean there is a problem with the diaphragm in the petcock? i got this from http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1 . Could this be the problem?

Good info!!

SO it sounds like it is starving of fuel.

1. If you disconnect the hose after the fuel filter - does it flow flow ?
2. Try by-passing the fuel filter
3. Carbs might need to be cleaned out.

You are in mississauga, where abouts ?

he is one street behind me....LOL,,,,I didn't realize who this poster was until I got a pm from him....I will go see him tonight, your more than welcome to join us if you wish, pm me for address or the OP.....I will be there probably around 6:30 or so....

Hey everyone i was doing some more research and just thought of something. I have a Vaccuum petcock(ON/RES/Prime) so this means when i remove the fuel line (with the bike off, in the ON position) no gas should come out of the petcock, correct?

when i removed the gas line from the petcock, gas was coming out, so this could mean there is a problem with the diaphragm in the petcock? i got this from http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1 . Could this be the problem?

could be, but if gas was coming out then that is sort of OK as it's not starving the bike for fuel, it's not working as it should as the petcock should not allow gas to flow until there is vacuum, so yes the petcock is faulty, but is probably not the cause, unless once there is vacuum it's doing the opposite and closing it and starving the engine of fuel at idle....

So GateKeeper came by last night to check the bike, and everything for the most part checked out...the bike cut off once when we took it for a short ride, and it would start on a second attempt perfectly.

of course i would have problems with something, and when getting it check out by someone else, everything works perfect.

I think a major factor was that i put seafoam in the tank the night before, so im thinking that may have cleared up some stuff. so im just going to top up my gas tank with gas, keep the rides short, burn through this tank, and see if i have any more problems, but for know SHE LIVES.

Thanks to everyones help and input, i at least have a better understanding and knowledge incase there are any other issues, of where to look and what to actually look for. Thanks everyone :D

Back
Top Bottom