Motorcycle Starts... then DIES HELP!!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Starts... then DIES HELP!!!

biggz26

Hey, so ive got a problem. when i put my battery on a trickle charger, then go to start my bike, it fires up like normal. but then after a couple minutes it idles down then cuts off. then it wont start after i try to restart it. The lights and everything come on, but when i press the ignition swicth, the motor just clicks, but doesnt turn over.

so i will put the battery back on a trickle charger, leave it for a bit, then it starts up again, but as the idle drops, before it cuts off i would rev the engine up, and as the rpms drop, it would drop to about 2k rpms (stays there for a second), then drops to about 1k rpms.

if anyone has had an issue like this before, or thinks they know what it is, your input is much appreciated, i just want to get riding again lol.

I have a 2003 suzuki Bandit 600s (GSF600S).

Get the battery tested, as it seems it's not holding a charge for a long time, get it load tested, and or borrow a battery and see if it resolves the issue, you can of course use jumper cables from your car to your bike, and try that ( car is NOT running) and have your bike battery disconnected.

"just clicks, but doesnt turn over" = not enough volts/amps, battery issue. You may also want to check the battery cables. A voltmeter would be very useful to diagnose. If your battery is old, you may decide to replace it without any other investigation. I got a good deal on a new battery last year at Flying Squirrel Motorcycle (Carlaw Ave, Toronto).

see below.......

Hey, so ive got a problem. when i put my battery on a trickle charger, then go to start my bike, it fires up like normal. but then after a couple minutes it idles down then cuts off. then it wont start after i try to restart it. The lights and everything come on, but when i press the ignition swicth, the motor just clicks, but doesnt turn over.

so with the new battery now in place it still only clicks on the 2nd attempt at starting the bike ?

so i will put the battery back on a trickle charger, leave it for a bit, then it starts up again, but as the idle drops, before it cuts off i would rev the engine up, and as the rpms drop, it would drop to about 2k rpms (stays there for a second), then drops to about 1k rpms.

does stay running at the 1k rpm, or does it die out ?

if anyone has had an issue like this before, or thinks they know what it is, your input is much appreciated, i just want to get riding again lol.

correct, on the second attempt at starting the bike, it just clicks.

and it does Not stay running at 1k rpm. it will continue to drop in idle speed to maybe 700-800, then just cut off

correct, on the second attempt at starting the bike, it just clicks.

and it does Not stay running at 1k rpm. it will continue to drop in idle speed to maybe 700-800, then just cut off

sounds like 2 issues

first is electrical, double check all your grounds make sure they are good, and it seems as if something is draining your battery for it not to want to restart and turn over the engine on a second attempt, are there any safety switches not working as they should ? neutral switch, clutch override, in gear etc....

the running and then dying sounds like fuel starvation, do you have enough fuel, do you have a petcock and can you set it to prime, or is it just on and off, check for clogged filters, floats might be stuck....

and ohhh so many other things could be going on.....as welll

Sounds to me that a part of the alternator needs replacing

Its draining the battery's cca. You should charge the battery and hook up a DMM and see if the voltage if above the stated voltage. Usually a 12v will be around 13v fully charged. Now hook up the battery to the bike and hook up the DMM as well. Start the bike and check the voltage. Is it dropping or just maintaining its voltage? How does the voltage react when you rev and hold the bikes rpm to 2/3/4k? If the voltage does not increase as you apply throttle to increase the rpm at idle, it means your bikes charging system is faulty.

Last edited:
Sounds to me that a part of the alternator needs replacing

Its draining the battery's cca. You should charge the battery and hook up a DMM and see if the voltage if above the stated voltage. Usually a 12v will be around 13v fully charged. Now hook up the battery to the bike and hook up the DMM as well. Start the bike and check the voltage. Is it dropping or just maintaining its voltage? How does the voltage react when you rev and hold the bikes rpm to 2/3/4k? If the voltage does not increase as you apply throttle to increase the rpm at idle, it means your bikes charging system is faulty.

i did a test where i started the Bike and held the rpms at 5k and was getting a steady 14.4V. ive checked the battery at rest and it was between 12-13V (cant recall exact number). so im almost sure its not the battery any more. when i get home after work, im going to check the ground points and fuel filter, air filter, and hope fully find the cause of the problem.

it weird because, maybe a week prior to getting this problem the bike worked flawlessly, parked it in the garage, didnt touch it for maybe a week- week and a half, then this problem.

so battery is good, alternator is doing what it should, 2 things off the list

next is grounds, and fuel delivery, could be a clog in the line or filter, or a stuck float possibly, does the bike have a fuel pump, or is it strictly vacuum, did one of the vacuum lines come off, get pinched, or a fuel line pinched

and if you hold it at a higher rpm, will she stay running, or does she die out as well ?

air filter probably won't have anything to do with it at this time....

so battery is good, alternator is doing what it should, 2 things off the list

next is grounds, and fuel delivery, could be a clog in the line or filter, or a stuck float possibly, does the bike have a fuel pump, or is it strictly vacuum, did one of the vacuum lines come off, get pinched, or a fuel line pinched

and if you hold it at a higher rpm, will she stay running, or does she die out as well ?

air filter probably won't have anything to do with it at this time....

All of these will have to be checked when i get home after work, but as far holding the rpms, she does stay running. i held it at 5k rpms for about 20-30 seconds fine. i would get off the throttle, then it would idle down, then die out.

What about the idle? Have you tried adjusting the idle?

hmmm, really starting to sound like a vacuum issue at low rpm, make sure no lines are kinked, and or still a possibility of a stuck float, tap the float bowls with the handle of a screwdriver to see if the bowl will loosen up.....

could be crud in anyone of the passages in the carb as well and cutting down supply at low rpm

a lot of guessing I know, but it will give you a start at least....

...as the idle drops, before it cuts off i would rev the engine up, and as the rpms drop, it would drop to about 2k rpms (stays there for a second), then drops to about 1k rpms...

I agree with most of what Gatekeeper is saying.

'Hanging' before idle or slow to return to idle is sign of potential intake leak.

Second issue: charging circuit.

No, you're not going to get much out of a motorcycle charging system at idle / high idle (2K rpm or less), but it should be enough to keep the ignition circuit alive. Keep the voltmeter on the battery, see where it's at when the bike finally stumbles/dies out. If it's less than 11.5V... you may have a parasitic draw, possibly an accessory - grip warmers, accessory lighting, cameras ~ whathaveyou - that's slowly draining the battery. Disconnect any of these items.

One other nasty little thing I'd like you to try. Measure Voltage across the battery, but on the AC setting. Yes, AC. Do it, disregard any naysayers, this is how you're going to confirm/fail operation of the rectifier.

Electrical gremlins can be intimidating. Think of voltage as pressure, current as flow. They are inversely proportionate. If the voltage falls, the current must rise to meet the demand (failing charge circuit - draining the battery, too much flow without enough returning). If the demand is too great (short circuit or excessive load) current will rise, voltage will fall. If the demand is small, the voltage will rise and the current reduce (happy charging/power/control circuits).

Last edited:
Simple things first. Let the battery sit over night, not connected to the trickle charger and test it again. This sounds like a battery problem... dead cell, sulphated etc. Sounds like it's retaining enough charge to start the bike once and is not able to charge fast enough from the bike's charging system to do a second start.

I thought it was the battery aswell, so i got a new battery, but still the same problem.

Simple things first. Let the battery sit over night, not connected to the trickle charger and test it again. This sounds like a battery problem... dead cell, sulphated etc. Sounds like it's retaining enough charge to start the bike once and is not able to charge fast enough from the bike's charging system to do a second start.

as you can see he did get a new battery, still the same issue, so it's not battery related at this point....

Back
Top Bottom